Chamonix 25-30/01/10

wolfer

finally getting caught at home after my trip to Chamonix so I thought I would post a quick report and a few pictures. We arrived in Geneva on Sunday Jan 24, unfortunately my skis didn't. They did however get delivered to our hotel the next day.
We received a few inches of snow over night so our first day of skiing started of well. Snow coverage was excellent, packed powder on the groomed runs with soft loose snow off- piste. Unfortunately the first two days were foggy so we were limited as to how much off-piste we could do. Temperature was between -10 deg C and -5 deg. C. On Monday we skied at Brevent and Flegere the only two interconnected ski areas in Chamonix and which we could access with a poma lift right outside our hotel.
On Tuesday we took a 10 minute bus ride to the village of Argentiere to ski at Les Grands Montets. Here again the snow was excellent, plenty of coverage, loose snow off-piste and packed powder on the groomed runs.
On Wednesday we hire a mountain guide and took a trip to the top of Aiguille Du Midi to access the Vallee Blanche. This was an all day excursion and definitely a high light of the trip. To anyone planning a trip to Chamonix, include this trip, definitely worth the 75 euro cost. Wednesday also was the first time we had clear skies all day.
On Thursday we were back to snowing during the day which I certainly wasn't complaining about because it made for even better snow conditions. On Friday we received even more snow, by the time it stopped on Saturday it was thigh deep, easily the best day of skiing I have ever had. Even with my so called 'submarine skis' (only 85mm underfoot) I have never had so much fun. For the first time in my skiing career I can truly say I was getting face shots all day long.
I was worried about this trip considering Europe's snow woes the last few years, but it turned out to be the best trip I have ever been on.

Sorry, the pictures are in reverse order, haven't quite figured out how to post properly yet.

Attachments

• un-named couliour at Flegere.jpg
    un-named couliour at Flegere.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 4,360
  • riding tram to aiguille du midi.jpg
    riding tram to aiguille du midi.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 4,360
  • Aiguille Du Midi from glacier.jpg
    Aiguille Du Midi from glacier.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 4,359
  • Descending to glacier from Aiguile Du Midi.jpg
    Descending to glacier from Aiguile Du Midi.jpg