Impressions of Switzerland and Austria

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in Europe and Asia, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: Impressions of Switzerland and Austria

Postby Staley » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:50 pm

The UCPA is great for cheap combined guiding, lodging, lift ticket and food. I think it's limited to people under 40, though.
Staley

Postby Admin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:06 am

You're welcome to copy anything of your own here.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Admin
Site Admin

Postby rfarren » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:14 pm

Tony Crocker wrote: And for situations like Staley's where you are going to live over there for awhile, you can make local contacts and ski with friends who are in some respects the equivalent of guides. Like some of us do on Utah trips. :lol:

Except that at Snowbird or Alta, when we stay inbounds, I don't have to worry about avy's. If the avy control is not as good in Europe I want to make sure I have a guide that knows what's up. I'm not saying that the boys out in Utah don't know what's up... it just isn't the same, I'm not going die learning the about the little nooks and crannies inbounds at alta.
Rob
rfarren

Postby Admin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:05 pm

rfarren wrote:Except that at Snowbird or Alta, when we stay inbounds, I don't have to worry about avy's.

Yeah, you do. Just look at the North Baldy incident a couple of years ago. You may be safer than in the backcountry, and likely safer than in Europe, but that doesn't absolve you of responsibility to have good snow sense and make intelligent decisions. There are plenty of times that I've practiced backcountry travel protocols while in-bounds.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby rfarren » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Admin wrote:
rfarren wrote:Except that at Snowbird or Alta, when we stay inbounds, I don't have to worry about avy's.

Yeah, you do. Just look at the North Baldy incident a couple of years ago. You may be safer than in the backcountry, and likely safer than in Europe, but that doesn't absolve you of responsibility to have good snow sense and make intelligent decisions. There are plenty of times that I've practiced backcountry travel protocols while in-bounds.

Sure, just ruin all my points!
Rob
rfarren

Previous

Return to Europe & Asia