Lermoos, Austria 18 DEC 2010

powerlumina77

Zugspitze, early morning.jpg

Still here in Garmisch, Germany as a civilian. After getting in just one day last year, I'm hoping for about 10 days this year with a much better start to winter and a better budget situation. This first day of the season we had a crew of 6 travel about 30 mins south into the first valley you hit in Austria. It hosts Ehrwald, Biberwier and Lermoos ski areas. We chose Lermoos and had a great day. Good snow, great company, big beers and great portions of reasonably priced food.

Lermoos, Church below.jpg

It was cold, about 15-20 degrees F, with some breezes on the chair lifts. The clear day gave great views of Lermoos and the church below. We enjoyed the groomers but found a few runs that were ongroomed, and featured soft crud. It's my favorite, since I can't ski powder.

Ungroomed crud.jpg

Somebody got injured, not in our party, and was flown out via helicopter. Really enjoyed the hut at the top, watching the moon rise over the Zugspitze peak, and the late day sun hit the mountains as we closed out the day.

Injury.jpg

Moonrise over the Zugspitze.jpg

late day sun on Zugspitze.jpg

It seems that the Germans swamp the Garmisch ski area, so on weekends and around the holidays the wisdom is to hit these areas about 30 minutes away to avoid the crowds. We'll hit Garmisch for President's day and MLK day, as they're American holidays and we can have Garmisch a bit to ourselves. A great start to winter this year, as last year was so mild and rainy with constant re-freezes. All local areas are about 80% open. Very affordable day passes too, around €33-38 per day.

Great pic of the Zugspitze. I did not have that perspective riding the tram from the eastern Austrian side in summer. It's easy to see why the skiing is mostly limited to the lower slopes. There are a couple of glacier surface lifts up high but I'm not sure whether there is a way to ski from those down to the base.

Back