Goryu & Hakuba 47, Japan, Jan. 19, 2011

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
The Hakuba valley is where the 1998 Olympic events were held. I had extra time before my lodging reservation in Niseko, so I'm here for 3 days. It's a 4-hour train north from Tokyo. Not too far from the Sea of Japan so the snowiest part of central Honshu, ~350 inches a year. Lift service is from ~3,000 to 6,000+ feet. The above treeline Japan Alps above these areas go up to 10,000 but that's all national park with no lifts.

This is the part of Japan where off-piste skiing is not permitted, a tempting example here.
IMG_7507.JPG

The treed terrain looks pretty good, though there are narrow ravines similar to the SoCal mountains that would need to be avoided. Today I was with Bill Glude, a backcountry guide from Alaska (I met him at ISSW in October) who is here from ~Dec. 15 - Feb. 15 for the last 6 years.
IMG_7505.JPG

Why not Niseko? He likes the Japanese culture and the bigger mountains here, and interestingly they do allow pure backcountry skiing, just not any slackcountry directly lift accessible. He's also working on permits to get a snowcat operation going.

We started today ~9:30AM at the Goryu base. There's a 2,300 vert gondola with just 2 runs, both of decent intermediate pitch, one section of moguls that were not deep at all due to recent heavy snowfalls. About 11AM an upper chair opened that allowed the connection to Hakuba 47, which has more variety and a high speed quad in its mid-elevations. Weather deteriorated, I was in my goggles by the time we rode that upper chair at Goryu and the wind steadily increased along with light snow. By 12:30 the wind was cranking and the lifts started shutting down. So we were done by 1PM and had to take a shuttle bus back to the Goryu base. Thus a modest 12,400 for the shortened day.

It was a good day to be with a local. Bill picked up something at a local ski shop and I tried on another AT boot. Then we went to his favorite sushi spot for lunch. I was astounded that the lunch special of sashimi, tempura, rice, soup and a small nicely grilled fish was only 1000 yen (~$12). Bill said that lengthy dinners with exotic sushi and lots of sake are still ~$50-70. Those of you who have eaten at high end Japanese restaurants know that kind of dinner in the US can run well into triple digits.

You've shared a lot about this day. Will you ever be posting any pictures from it?

I've always wanted to go on a ski trip to Japan and would like to see photos of this mountain. Never heard of it, but my knowledge base is limited to TRs from TGR. Exactly how many lift-served ski areas are there in Japan?

There are a large number of areas. Japan was doing 100 million skier visits during the 1980's but only half that many now.

From North America avid skiers would mostly want to go to Hokkaido for the powder. The limitations upon off-piste skiing here (or anywhere in the Nagano region) would frustrate most Americans on an extended trip. The exception would be the icelantic backcountry types, who might really enjoy touring with someone like Bill Glude. If you're looking at the skiing as incidental to overall tourism, then I would encourage a visit to this region followed by some time in Kyoto. A New Zealander I skied with this afternoon is doing just that.

Possible sun for my last day tomorrow. I'd prefer that so I can get some decent pictures.

The weather patterns in Japan are unlike anything we see in North America. The latitude of Hakuba is less than 37, similar to Mammoth, Telluride or North Carolina. Yet snow is piled deep even in town at less than 3,000 feet.
IMG_7508.JPG

But as in Hokkaido all that snowfall is highly concentrated midwinter. As Bill Glude said, March here is like April in North American mountains. And season snowfall is essentially over by first of April.

Back