Where in Euroland

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in Europe and Asia, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Where in Euroland

Postby EMSC » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:29 pm

So if I'm flying into Geneva and eventually heading to La Grave, where are some good places to hit on the way... Obviously there are a ton of resorts in that region and school breaks might be an issue... but any suggestions from the peanut gallery on some choices I might like. I'm still in final planning stages so I may have anywhere from 3-6 days on-snow to fill before the La Grave guided stuff would start. In a way I suppose it might be interesting to hit something in Switzerland itself just to tick off an additional country? Or etc...
EMSC

Re: Where in Euroland

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:40 pm

EMSC wrote:something in Switzerland

Verbier is the closest to Geneva. I had only 4 hours skiing there, but it's certainly representative of huge scale interconnected Euro skiing. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5551 Lots of advanced terrain, town has a good reputation though I was on a daytrip from Chamonix.

I would lean toward one of the big interconnected places as a contrast to La Grave and also best prepared to handle February peak traffic. Val d'Isere and Trois Vallees are other obvious choices. Patrick or someone else can comment on those.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Admin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:07 am

Tony Crocker wrote:I would lean toward one of the big interconnected places as a contrast to La Grave and also best prepared to handle February peak traffic. Val d'Isere and Trois Vallees are other obvious choices. Patrick or someone else can comment on those.

I can comment on les Trois Vallées. Overall the skiing is decidedly intermediate. There are some steeper lines beneath the tram in Val Thorens, Meribel is heavy on Brits and Courchevel (esp. 1850) is the Dear Valet of Euroland.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby AllThingsAlpine » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Go for Chamonix. Good transport links and great skiing!
AllThingsAlpine.com
AllThingsAlpine

Return to Europe & Asia