Las Lenas, Sept. 3-9

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding anywhere in the southern hemisphere: New Zealand, Australia, South America, etc., including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: re: Las Lenas, Sept. 3-9

Postby Geoff » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:07 pm

ChrisC wrote:Would you recommend Las Lenas if you could only do 4 days?

It looks like Martes is not always operable. What inhibits it besides snow?

If you only have 4 days, the reality is you're only going to ski Las Lenas for 2 days since you blow a travel day in each direction.

If you ski one of the resorts near Santiago, Chile, you can take an overnight flight, land at 7am, and be skiing by 11:00. On the last day, you can ski 'til 2:00 and still catch the overnight flights back to the US.
Geoff

re: Las Lenas, Sept. 3-9

Postby ChrisC » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:52 pm

I am still debating whether to ski Chile -- Portillo/Valle Navado---or Las Lenas.

It looks like the best skiing is Las Lenas.

But I don't know if I have a week.

Thanks for you info. Always high quality.
ChrisC

Postby Tony Crocker » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:31 pm

That's a long way to go and a fair amount of $ for less than a week. It's hard to imagine doing that unless you're in Buenos Aires or Santiago for business and someone else is picking up the tab but you have a extra few days. Even in that scenario I would try to spend a full week skiing for reasons described in the previous post.

Geoff is correct about the timing of the international flights. On Saturdays there are 2 flights Buenos Aires into Malargue. Extremely Canadian uses the early 7AM flight, which requires that you fly overnight Thursday and spend Friday night in Buenos Aires. You get to the resort by lunchtime and can ski that afternoon if you want. If you use the afternoon flight you get to Las Lenas around 8PM, just before Argentine dinner hour. On the ending Saturday we left Las Lenas early morning, arrived Buenos Aires around noon and most people flew home that night.

In Chile I think a bus transfer to Portillo is likely to take 3 hours, so logisitics aren't that much worse than Buenos Aires to Malargue to Las Lenas, though the latter would be more expensive with the extra flights. Only at the Valle Nevado group are you so close as to squeeze in extra ski time. And a transfer down from Portillo, then up to Valle Nevado will take most of a day.

New Zealand might work better for less than a week in logistics, particularly from California, but I'm still having a hard time figuring out why someone would go to any of these places for such a short time.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:29 pm

January 2006 SKI Magazine is out, and Kevin Arnold's Las Lenas article starts on page 98. The full page pic on page 101 shows Joe Lammers leading his group on a hike above Vulcano. After some scrutiny of my own pics I determined that Adam is the last in line of the hikers. Adam was wearing a red jacket like the solo skier in the page 100 pic, but I think that was another skier in his group.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Previous

Return to Down Under