Various NZ reports with pics - New Zealand - Aug /Sept 2004

Max

I've made a 23-days trip to NZ this summer and had the chance to sample 7 different resorts. I had a blast.

You can check out my reports on Zoneski, in French, but even if you don't understand the language, there are plenty of pics.

Link to forum : http://www.zoneski.com/forum/
Click on "Zone Extrême / Backcountry" sub-forum and all the reports should be on top of the list.

OK, Max -- now what you have to do is post your tales in English here! C'mon, man...spit it out!

I greatly enjoyed seeing those pics of most of the NZ areas I skied in 1982 and 1997. But you had a big snow year, while I had to deal with sparse El Nino conditions.

In 1982 N. Island had more snow than South, and Whakapapa was probably the best lift-served day. But we did have a foot of new snow for our ski plane day on the Tasman Glacier. On the other hand, I skied an entire day in the rain at Coronet Peak.

1997 was a bit better. Coronet was white-out and vertigo in the morning but fresh powder in the afternoon. Treble Cone has the best terrain, and Saddle Basin was pretty good, but on the lower half or the front side you had to stay on-piste for adequate coverage. Our last ski day was 4 somewhat weather-constrained runs with Harris Mt. Heliski. And they let my son Adam heliski even though he was only 12 years old.

Back