Gunlom Falls, Kakadu NP, Australia, July 21, 2019

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
We drove into Kakadu National Park late on July 19.
Kakadu_Gunlom_Map.jpg

The red pins are lodging bases, with the largest one being a Jabiru on the right side at the main road intersection. We stayed at Cooinda to the southwest. On July 20 we toured the areas from Cooinda past Jabiru to the pins farthest northeast, which are near the East Alligator River boundary of the park.

Arnhem Land is the aboriginal reserve on the far side of the East Alligator river. We signed up for guided tour July 20, only to find when we met the bus at Jabiru that the Arnhem Land Art Center was closed Sundays. We changed our tour date to Monday and decided to check out Gunlom Falls Sunday.

Southwest of Jabiru we spotted two dingoes traveling with what looked like a rogue dog between them.
IMG_3999a.JPG

Dingoes remind us some of the ubiquitous coyotes we have at home. Dingoes came to Australia ~4,000 years ago when there was a land connection to New Guinea. Supposedly the only pure descendants of those are on Fraser Island which we visited in 2012. Otherwise there has been varied interbreeding with domestic dogs since Europeans arrived.

We stopped for about half an hour at the cultural center near Cooinda. Here are the calendar seasons as seen by the local aborigines.
IMG_4003.JPG

The Gunlom Falls trip consumed most of the day. It's a two hour drive from Jabiru past Cooinda, then an hour on dirt road that was in fairly good condition during the dry season. We arrived just after noon to begin the 1km hike to the top of the falls.
P7201096.JPG

Stairs are under construction for the steepest part.
P7201098.JPG

But for now we climb around the construction over boulders.
P7201099.JPG

Here's our first view of the upper largest pool.
P7201102.JPG

First we descend to the smaller pools closer to the top of Gunlom Falls.
P7201105.JPG

P7201108.JPG

It's cool (?) dry season but still about 90F so we're eager to get in the water.
P7201110a.JPG

We started with the highest of the small pools.
P7201115.JPG

P7201129.JPG

P7201140.JPG

Next I moved to the Infinity Pool.
P7201141.JPG

P7201144.JPG

Liz is at the same spot at the edge of the Infinity Pool while I'm lower down.
P7201152a.JPG

P7201154a.JPG

Liz in the pool nearest top of Gunlom Falls.
P7201161.JPG

Here's the view over the top of Gunlom Falls to the large pool below at parking level.
P7201156.JPG

We climbed back over the rocks to reach the upper pool.
P7201163.JPG

This one is bigger and deeper so I jumped in.
P7201164.JPG

I swam looker's right in the picture above into a slot with a nice resting spot.
P7201170a.JPG

Liz on her way to join me there:
P7201184.JPG

The pool continues a bit farther.
P7201176.JPG

P7201182a.JPG

I swam to the end of the picture above. The water beyond was shallow and over boulders with a small waterfall. Unfortunately sun glare obscured further pictures.

Hiking back down we see an overview of the parking and picnic area.
P7201100.JPG

We took a quick dip in the big pool below the falls before departing.
P7201203.JPG

We saw two water buffalo while driving out the dirt road.
P7201225.JPG

These were brought in from Southeast Asia in the 19th century for farming and ranching. In large numbers they are destructive to Kakadu's environment so most were hunted but a few hundred remain.

As noted in other reports we don't see much freshwater swimming spots at home and we were certainly impressed by Gunlom Falls. There were people there, but it's in a remote area of the park so not nearly as busy as the Litchfield swimming holes closer to Darwin.

Nice reports Tony. Some good photos too.
For whatever reason my dad isn't a traveller but I'm showing him your reports. He's having a good time vicariously.

Excellent pix of waterholes and pools. That was the final straw for why I moved back east after living in Colorado and New Mexico: not enough proper waterholes.
:)

jamesdeluxe":23edmozb said:
Excellent pix of waterholes and pools. That was the final straw for why I moved back east after living in Colorado and New Mexico: not enough proper waterholes.
:)
You're crazy! :)

jamesdeluxe":n6bnm1i6 said:
Excellent pix of waterholes and pools. That was the final straw for why I moved back east after living in Colorado and New Mexico: not enough proper waterholes. :)
Marc_C":n6bnm1i6 said:
You're crazy! :)
I knew I'd smoke you out with that line. Where's that stock pic of people throwing chum in the water for sharks?

Liz didn't say you were crazy, but she was curious what eastern waterholes you were talking about, having lived in the East for 30+ years and not recalling much. Being in Manhattan without a car for a good part of that time would have limited her rural excursions though.

Back