Bariloche (Cerro Catedral) ???

Gpaul

Hola! Hope y'all are enjoying winter.

Any opinions on skiing in Bariloche? Does it resemble any US mountain?

Looking at early to mid August.

Thank you.

Bariloche reputation is great resort/apres-ski town. Snowfall is not great as it's low and well east of the Andes crest. There is snowmaking but frequently the lower mountain is not covered, so transport lifts bypass it.

Based upon what we know about your skiing, Valle Nevado in Chile is probably your best bet. I have not been to either place, only to Las Lenas, which I do not think is a good fit for you.

Thank you Tony. As you mention, Valle Nevado is by far my best choice, but will do that on second trip to S.A.

Bariloche is the darling, plus a few days in Buenos Aires beats Santiago hands down.

All the best.

Is it better to stay on-mountain or in Bariloche? That is, would Bariloche be too inconvenient, and on-mountain not worth it due to lack of activities besides skiing?

Gpaul":1abjkzdf said:
Is it better to stay on-mountain or in Bariloche? That is, would Bariloche be too inconvenient, and on-mountain not worth it due to lack of activities besides skiing?

I would definately stay in Bariloche. There isn't much going on up by the mountain. City of Bariloche is definately the place to stay. Lots of great resturants, bars and fun things to do in Bariloche.

It is only about a $7 US taxi ride from the town to the mountain and the bus is lett than a dollar.

Here is a great NY Times article on skiing in Bariloche:

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/07/09/t ... ns/Central and South America

And yes, I am the writer's old college buddy that got to tag along for the trip!

nycskier, thanky! GREAT article, pity you didn´t make it to the other place, it seems nice for 2-3 days.

A friend stays at some cabins in Puerto Pireo, on the lake, and uses the shuttle to both Bariloche and Catedral.

Research is still on. Much obliged.

Back