Shredding in the Andes

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding anywhere in the southern hemisphere: New Zealand, Australia, South America, etc., including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: re: Shredding in the Andes

Postby Patrick » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:19 pm

Geoff wrote:Santiago is 8 hours from Miami, not 12. Same time zone as Miami when North America is on daylight savings. Beware that prime ski season is also Miami's hurricane season. I've had to divert to Dallas twice on my way home.


Got to love that direct Toronto-Santiago flight.

Geoff wrote:Termas de Chillan is somewhat painful access compared to Valle Nevado/La Parva/el Colorado or Portillo. You take a train from downtown Santiago to Chillan (5-ish hours) and you're still 90 minutes from the resort.


There is also direct bus service from Santiago to Termas.

Geoff wrote: You blow a travel day getting there.


But it isn't that bad if you fly overnight. Last Summer my compatriots arrived in mid-morning in Santiago, skied later than afternoon at El Colorado then we headed down to Termas to ski the next day.

Geoff wrote:The in bounds terrain is nothing special. The off piste beyond the Don Otto double can be great and there are some spots with pretty good pitch.


There are only 20something trails over a huge area. There is also some fun stuff between these trails, however the terrain beyond the area is... :-# =P~ :-$
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 4726
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:19 am
Location: The Great Trip 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

re: Shredding in the Andes

Postby rfarren » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:36 pm

Ok... 8 hours from miami. My flight to santiago is around 11 hours. Flying back from bariloche was the worst 24 hours of my life.

2 hours from bariloche to santiago... 5 hour layover...
8 hour flight from santiago to miami... 3 hour layover...
1.5 hour to atlanta... 2 hour layover
2 hour to nyc...

Its funny... when you spend that much time on a plane, you start hoping for turbulence, or anything to spice up the flight.
Rob
User avatar
rfarren
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: New York City

Re: re: Shredding in the Andes

Postby Patrick » Thu May 01, 2008 7:46 am

rfarren wrote:Ok... 8 hours from miami. My flight to santiago is around 11 hours. Flying back from bariloche was the worst 24 hours of my life.

2 hours from bariloche to santiago... 5 hour layover...
8 hour flight from santiago to miami... 3 hour layover...
1.5 hour to atlanta... 2 hour layover
2 hour to nyc...

Its funny... when you spend that much time on a plane, you start hoping for turbulence, or anything to spice up the flight.


Oh Man...I REALLY do love my Ottawa-Toronto-Santiago flight compare to that.

Left Ottawa at around 8:30pm and arrived the next morning in Santiago at 10ish in the morning. 11 hour overnight flight don't suck like flying to Europe where you have to deal with time differences and a very very short night sleep.
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 4726
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:19 am
Location: The Great Trip 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

Re: re: Shredding in the Andes

Postby Geoff » Thu May 01, 2008 10:35 am

Patrick wrote:
Geoff wrote:Santiago is 8 hours from Miami, not 12. Same time zone as Miami when North America is on daylight savings. Beware that prime ski season is also Miami's hurricane season. I've had to divert to Dallas twice on my way home.


Got to love that direct Toronto-Santiago flight.

I've looked at taking that. I have a jillion United miles and it's not a very long flight from Boston to Toronto

Geoff wrote:Termas de Chillan is somewhat painful access compared to Valle Nevado/La Parva/el Colorado or Portillo. You take a train from downtown Santiago to Chillan (5-ish hours) and you're still 90 minutes from the resort.


There is also direct bus service from Santiago to Termas.

Huh. I didn't know that. Useful information. The resort puts people on the train and then shuttles them from Chillan to Termas. Do you have a link to the bus details?

Geoff wrote: You blow a travel day getting there.


But it isn't that bad if you fly overnight. Last Summer my compatriots arrived in mid-morning in Santiago, skied later than afternoon at El Colorado then we headed down to Termas to ski the next day.

What I meant is that if you get off your plane in the early morning, clear passport control, and get your gear off the conveyor belt, you still have to travel all day to get to Termas de Chillan. If you ski Valle Nevado/La Parva/el Colorado, you can be on the slopes by 11:00. No matter how you do it, it's a haul from Santiago to Termas de Chillan.

Geoff wrote:The in bounds terrain is nothing special. The off piste beyond the Don Otto double can be great and there are some spots with pretty good pitch.


There are only 20something trails over a huge area. There is also some fun stuff between these trails, however the terrain beyond the area is... :-# =P~ :-$

The in-bounds stuff is pleasant enough but there's nothing particularly challenging. I rarely skied anything groomed because there were always racers on it. If you duck under the rope at the top of the Don Otto and walk up that little hill, you hit superb skiing. You'd better be avalanche-aware. That first cornice slid a few times when I was there. The stuff baking in the sun on the traverse to where the steam is always coming out also slides.
User avatar
Geoff
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:38 pm
Location: Killington, VT

Re: re: Shredding in the Andes

Postby Patrick » Thu May 01, 2008 1:01 pm

Geoff wrote:I've looked at taking that. I have a jillion United miles and it's not a very long flight from Boston to Toronto.


If I remember correctly, the flight leave Toronto at 11:55pm and arrives the next morning in Santiago at 10:35am. I paid $850 CDN ($1017 CDN with taxes).

Geoff wrote:
Patrick wrote:There is also direct bus service from Santiago to Termas.


Huh. I didn't know that. Useful information. The resort puts people on the train and then shuttles them from Chillan to Termas. Do you have a link to the bus details?


I found out last year when I was researching my trip. I found a Santiago-las Trancas bus, I presume that one might continue to Termas 7km further. Unfortunately, I found last year that there is very little information online for most bus companies.

Info from the Chil'In Hosteria website in Las Trancas.

http://www.chil-in.com/eng/venir/venir.htm

Santiago - Las Trancas : Bus NILAHUE
(6 h for travell, 2 bus every day (06 h 50, 14 h 45), Tel : 027785222
Terminal Alameda, metro universidad de Santiago


Geoff wrote:If you ski Valle Nevado/La Parva/el Colorado, you can be on the slopes by 11:00. No matter how you do it, it's a haul from Santiago to Termas de Chillan.


Not if you take that the Air Canada flight. Andy & Brendan got at El Colorado after getting lost at 2ish in the afternoon. That was my plan initially, land and take the train to Termas. Andy convinced me to wait for them before heading south to Termas.

Geoff wrote:The in-bounds stuff is ...and the ....

:-$ :wink:

I should really finish my TR from last year. :roll:

Last year's Chile discussion where I was looking for info(LINK)
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 4726
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:19 am
Location: The Great Trip 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

re: Shredding in the Andes

Postby rfarren » Thu May 01, 2008 2:24 pm

I had a lot of flights, but I flew down to buenos aires from NYC to miami via lima, and came back from santiago. The airfare was really cheap. There is a direct flight to santiago and to buenos aires... they are a bit more expensive.
Rob
User avatar
rfarren
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: New York City

Re: re: Shredding in the Andes

Postby Patrick » Thu May 01, 2008 8:08 pm

rfarren wrote:The airfare was really cheap.

It's true that NYC has many more options than Ottawa.My cheapest options from Ottawa was the almost direct flight with a 2 hour wait at YYZ.
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 4726
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:19 am
Location: The Great Trip 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

re: Shredding in the Andes

Postby skibum4ever » Thu May 08, 2008 7:10 pm

Tony, please stop saying those bad things about the forecast snow for SA this year. We committed 6 months ago to going down this summer. Snow or no snow we intend to have a memorable time. But we'd rather have snow. [-X

BTW, how are the ribs?
User avatar
skibum4ever
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: California

re: Shredding in the Andes

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu May 08, 2008 11:24 pm

Ribs don't hurt in routine activity, but there are still things I can't do. Still hoping for Memorial weekend. With regard to South America, I can only remind people as in the other post that Patrick didn't make any commitments last year until late July.

Recently published MAR/APR value of MEI is -0.890, which is still a negative indicator, but less so than a month ago. I've seen projections of how it might change in the months ahead, but they are all over the map, so I don't think anyone knows. We do know that if it stays where it is, the odds of lower than normal snowfall from Portillo to Las Lenas are substantial, about the same as for La Nina years here in SoCal. FYI the past 2007-08 season (86% of normal) was about the best we have ever done in a La Nina year.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 9794
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

Re: re: Shredding in the Andes

Postby Geoff » Fri May 09, 2008 8:10 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:Ribs don't hurt in routine activity, but there are still things I can't do.


I like my ribs steamed in beer for an hour+ with a spice rub. Then finished with a wet BBQ sauce on the grill. 8)
User avatar
Geoff
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:38 pm
Location: Killington, VT

Previous

Return to Down Under

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


All content herein copyright © 1999-2017 First Tracks!! Online Media

Forums Terms & Conditions of Use

cron