Snowboarding: NZ or Oz?

sammygee

Anyone been skiing/snowboarding in NZ? Is it worth the trip across the Tasman? I keep hearing the snow is so much better there. I'm thinking to take the boys over for a week. Anyone got a recommendation for where to go?

Saw this sweet clip of a guy setting of an avalanche on a snowboard run in Queenstown and its whetting my appetite... Would appreciate any tips...

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeers!
Sammy.....

You can browse other reports in this section from specific trips. Coming from North America I am not impressed with snow in NZ because the resorts are on the leeward side of the Southern Alps and average no more than 200 inches per season. Terrain and snow preservation are much better than Oz though.

Snow over here is nothing like North America. However, Australia does not compete with NZ as far as snow goes. Nz has superior snow quality and quantity, has more choice and has better terrain.

A few days each in both Queenstown and Wanaka would be well worth your while.

Feral - NZ":xcv1q72w said:
Snow over here is nothing like North America. However, Australia does not compete with NZ as far as snow goes. Nz has superior snow quality and quantity, has more choice and has better terrain.

A few days each in both Queenstown and Wanaka would be well worth your while.

...and Methven.

I thought Treble Cone had the best terrain. I liked Mt Hutt better than Coronet Peak or The Remarkables. The Towers, South Face, and Montezuma side of the hill were fun. If It were me, I'd do 50% of my days at Treble Cone, sneak in a day of heleskiing out of Wanaka, and sample the others.

Enjoy the meat pies.

Geoff has it about right. When up at Methven, it could also be worthwhile to try a couple of the club areas. I haven't done that yet.

Back