Chilean Adventure (the novel- Part 2) Aug/Sep 07

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding anywhere in the southern hemisphere: New Zealand, Australia, South America, etc., including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

re: Chilean Adventure (the novel- Part 2) Aug/Sep 07

Postby Patrick » Sun May 25, 2008 10:22 am

September 1 - Après-ski that doesn’t involve driving :P:

La Trancas

Back in Las Trancas, we chill at the Chil’In in Chile. We take a short walk to the store and buy some food and refreshments. :o The Chil’In is a Hostal, but it’s also a restaurant and a bar. That evening we meet a few fellow gringos eating at the table next to us. We started talking and they mentioned that did a big tour to the top of a volcano and skied a long descent afterwards. One American telemarker wasn’t part of their group, but I believe he skied with them. He was another patrolmen, one that no one could miss. At the restaurant/Inn, he still had his ski pants and tele boots on. Some people talked about the “American”, but he made sure that everyone knew that we wasn’t an American, he keep saying that he was from VERMONT!!! Found out that he was a patrol from MRG and he’s been living in a tent on the mountain somewhere. Wonder if Mark Renson can guess who this guy is?

After an Escudo and some vino, we went to check out the Snow Pub after having heard much talk about it. Snow Pub was maybe 500 meters from the Chil’In, but it was a cold walk. Oh yeah, it’s still winter in this part of the World. As we get to nightlife heart of Las Trancas, we noticed that the Snow Pub has a Disco and a Pub. The difference between the two is fairly obvious; the one with dance music and flashing light is charging a crazy cover charge that us poor Canadians are too cheap to pay for what it seem a dead quiet place. We walked in a crowded and smoked filled pub instead. Apparently they were many girls at the Snow Pub; not many girls here, maybe they aren’t as cheap as guys, who knows? After maybe a few hours, we see our friend from MRG walking around with his teleboots still on. Meet some fellow skiers and had a few drinks. Not sure at what time we got back.:^o :oops:
Attachments
1-dogs-at-chil-in.jpg
Brendan playing with dogs in front of the Chil'In. This is the main road at the centre of village, store and Snow Pub are further down.
1-dogs-at-chil-in.jpg (106.53 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
2-chil-bar.jpg
Pat and Andy chilling at the Chil'in.
2-chil-bar.jpg (45.54 KiB) Viewed 3903 times
3-later.jpg
Things started looking fuzzy afterwards.
3-later.jpg (28.37 KiB) Viewed 3903 times
Patrick

Re: re: Chilean Adventure (the novel- Part 2) Aug/Sep 07

Postby Admin » Sun May 25, 2008 3:31 pm

Patrick wrote:Things started looking fuzzy afterwards.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Patrick » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:08 pm

September 2 - Oh well: :(

Waking up is hard to do, this sounds like a song? Coming back from the DL two days ago, Andy was taking a pass on morning. He decided that he was going to join us later. While Brendan and I were having breakfast, we noticed our friend from Vermont. We was having breakfast at the table next to us with a beautiful chica. “Yeah man, the disco was happening!!!” :roll: Yep, he still had his teleboots. As he was set to leave as the owner intercepted him about breakfast. “No I didn’t have breakfast, juste café.” As he’s walking out, he saying to charge it to the Canadians. NO WAY...he kept insisting!!!! [-X

Anyway, as soon as we’re done, I start getting stuff in the car in order to leave as soon as possible. As I come back in, Brendan said I should get my swim trunks for hot spring poaching. Termas is pretty volcanic area and means Hot Springs in Spanish. Once I found my swim trunks, Brendan mentions he got my stuff and we’re ready to go. All right, a full day to explore this ski area. WE ARE STOKE!!! Contrary to yesterday, we parked at the lower parking lot. We put on our boots and gets the skis out.

Where are *&?$@%? my skis???? Brendan got my boots, not my skis near the door. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Anyway, Brendan offered his second pair (the Seth or the Machetes, I can’t remember which was which?). After a few seconds, I decided I was going to return for my B3. Little that I went, this was a smart move. Brendan was ready to go skiing and he gave me the keys to the go-cart. The go-cart had manual transmission...I haven’t really driven manually transmission in over 20 years. :o :shock: :oops: Driving the 7 km wasn’t too bad and I could always pick up Andy. Once Andy was ready, we headed back up to the ski area. Andy and Brendan had radios and this is when we got the news!!!

“LIFTS ARE STARTING TO SHTUDOWN EVERYWHERE”, only the bottom was open. The top t-bars lifts were closed plus the Doto Oto chair. Only interesting lift running was the Poma and the triple under that and they were going to close that also.

Andy and I had a wait and see approach. After trying to communicate to the people from the ski area, we were told that it was too windy. I tried to get a refund or discounted tickets for yourselves, but nothing doing. This was the famous TISA factor (we didn't know it was called that) that I heard some people talk about, SuperNat had made references to it. So the two of us didn’t ski and one was REALLY pissed off having only skied 2 runs for $40. [-( The only main lift that remained open was the chair that connects both bases, maybe 120 meters.

At least we poached the Hot Springs at the Resort. We walked from the ski area lot toward the hotel. Brendan opted for the "through the woods in deep snow in sandals" approach. [censored] that, Andy and I decided to walk through the front door of the hotel. :D

Our Vermont friend arrived in his teleboots as we were sitting back and relaxing. He seems surprise to see us. Yep, he had told us about the HotSpring poaching after a few drinks the previous night. 8) Brendan demonstrated diving into the snow which Andy capture on video...too funny. Si, he is a loco gringo!!! :lol:

We're having fun and living the moment. Not thinking about tomorrow....YET!!! :shock: That happened later. :roll:
Attachments
1-shrine.JPG
This one was in the cliff face along the road between the village resort and the upper base of the ski area.
1-shrine.JPG (99.4 KiB) Viewed 3703 times
2-shrine.JPG
Close up of Shrine.
2-shrine.JPG (101.41 KiB) Viewed 3750 times
3-bottom-chair.JPG
Only major lift remaining. Bottom chair that connects village with base: 120 meters vertical, 1 km long.
3-bottom-chair.JPG (62.3 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
4-no-skiing.JPG
After getting the stuff back in the car...we walked in the snow (sometimes deep) toward the Hot Spring (note Brendan's sandals).
4-no-skiing.JPG (99.74 KiB) Viewed 3704 times
hotspring1.jpg
Poaching 101: Let's look like tourists. (photo by Andy)
hotspring1.jpg (66.45 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
hotsprings2.jpg
Tres Amigos en Termas. (photo by Brendan)
hotsprings2.jpg (48.87 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
map-termas2OFF.jpg
Lifts with X (Triple and Poma) are the ones that were shutdown in the morning. Purple lines are the lift that remained open. All other lifts didn't open.
map-termas2OFF.jpg (86.15 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
Last edited by Patrick on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick

September 2 - Oh well - part 2 - Après-Poach

Postby Patrick » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:12 pm

September 2 - Oh well - part 2 - Après-Poach: :?

We soaked for maybe a few hours. We headed back toward Las Trancas, but stopped first at the entrance of Las Trancas to check out the small shops. Can’t remember what we eat or if we did get a few local souvenirs at that time or later in the week? The shops are just on the outskirts of the village in front of the HI Hostal.

Once back into the Chil’In, a few of us went back for a siesta? Not sure. I’m talking with the owner, a few other skiers are eating lunch at the restaurant or crashing on the couches with their laptops. As I surf on the internet, I find out that the guys eating were the Americans I saw at El Colorado (one of the guys had the BROs). Started talking to them, funny thing is that noticed me surfing the forums and one of them told he used to write on TGR, but then got banned !!! :shock::shock::shock: WTF??? Anyway, he knew who I was!!! :shock:

Later on, I noticed that the three guys with the laptops spoke French; a Frenchman that I believe used to work for TGR, a Swiss and a Quebecers spending a few months in this part of the Wrold. There were also a few Chilean skiers later on, one of them would be Admin’s Chilean counterpart. He ran a Chilean ski website. All in all, this is a great meeting place...even if most of the people didn’t stay at the Chil’In.

During this spare time, I also had time to surf and write a bit...here is what I wrote on FTO/TGR (mini-TR): Here is the last paragraph I wrote that day...

edit: link removed to original story in order not to give away the ending.

September 2:

Over one foot of snow is forecast for tomorrow...odds are very bad for opening lifts. :? Not even sure for Tuesday...winds are suppose to be like today. We supposed to be in Portillo on Wednesday where it hasn't snow in many days with no snow in the forecast.

Oh yeah...we talked about the coming days.

FRUSTRATION...FRUSTRATION...FRUSTRATION

Brendan was still really pissed having skied approximately 2 runs with massive liftlines on the poma plus having paid $40 for that. The fact that Andy and Brendan might have skied a TOTAL of maybe 4-5 hours in the last 3 days with probably no serious skiing for a possible day or two really got him frustrated. He couldn’t believe that the ski area actually shutdown the poma because of wind, “Jay Peak runs lifts where it blowing harder than this!!!” The problem, this isn’t North America. Different atmosphere and customs from nightlife to running lifts. Andy is cool. I personally was warn about this and take it with stride, remembering SuperNat’s experiences in Chile to know to expect the unexpected.

Brendan couldn’t stand sitting around and not skiing again the next day. He started talking about Pucon which was expecting three times more snow (90cm) than Termas. He started lobbying to go to PUCON!!! :shock: snow-forecast talks about 271km, however that is as a crow flies, the drive would be much longer. I didn’t want to move, I thought that was a bad idea. SuperNat had been in Pucon in 2005 and she had her moments of frustration with lifts also not running. Andy was cool and relax as always, nothing got him worried. After a calm discussion and absortion of all information gather during this afternoon, we finally decided to stay put and wait it out, hoping to get some skiing in two days before heading to Portillo.
Attachments
1-shopping-gringos.JPG
Brendan and Andy in front of local shops. No that isn't our car, our car is much smaller. ;)
1-shopping-gringos.JPG (98.92 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
2-shops-las-trancas.JPG
Small shops on the outskirts of Las Trancas on the road to the ski area (7km away). I'm adding a second picture as we didn't take much at this point.
2-shops-las-trancas.JPG (81.02 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:27 pm

September 3 - Oh boy, not again: :(

I woke up fairly early, not sure what I was thinking??? It’s raining outside. As I sit alone eating my Chilean Hockey Pucks for breakfast, I’m wondering if the lifts are running? The French owner of the Chil’In mentions that it’s probably snowing at the ski area. Las Trancas is at 1300m while the resort sits and the upper base sit at 1650m and 1800m respectively. Snow forecast was calling 33 cm at the top lift. He calls and confirm that the lifts aren’t running. It’s really blowing up there. :(

NO SKIING AGAIN TODAY...HERE IS THE SCORECARD IN CASE YOU’VE LOST TRACK:

Aug 29: Pat being a tourist
Aug 30: Valle Nevado (Pat)
Aug 31: El Colorado-La Parva (Pat; Andy & Brendan -2 hrs)
Sept 1: Termas (Pat, Andy & Brendan - 2 hrs)
Sept 2: Termas (Brendan - 2hrs)
Sept 3???

Pat: 2 days and 2 hours going on 6 days
Brendan: 3 times x 2 hours going on 4 days
Andy: 2 times x 2 hours going on 4 days

:shock: :shock: :shock:

This is going to be our second day sitting around and third day of very little skiing for me. This is a patience game...not much to do, but wait. Manu Chao, Renaud, Noir Désir, Les Rita Mitsouko are played on the computer and piped through the quiet place, definitely a French feel. Owner is a French immigrant who settled and married this beautiful part of the World. His young boy speaks spanish with his mother and speaks an excellent French with French accent. They are a few other French in Las Trancas, as guest at the Hostal or owners of businesses around this place.

Later in the day, we start meeting a few canucks; English and French.

At lunch time a few race kids come in to eat at the restorant. We start talking to the coaches as I recognized the French Canadian accent of one of them. We find out they’re part of the Sunshine race club doing a camp down here. The only skiers from North America are mostly racers, partially do to a few big races scheduled in the coming days.

BETTER MAKE THE BEST OF IT...ANDY AND BRENDAN ARE GOING SKIING.

So it’s pouring hard outside and Brendan is going nuts. Andy also wants to get out and at least do some skiing. After fiddling around with their AT gears, they finally depart toward the hill in the late afternoon. They got wet and the car made it to the upper parking lot. They were gone for a few hours and I believe they skied a few runs. They seem to have fun even if the conditions were less than ideal.

In the evening, the Hostal was once again a gathering point. A group from CASA had just round into town and showed up for few drinks in front the fireplace, then the competition walked in. Two quebecers from Powderquest walked in. It was evening for sharing stories. Pierre from Powderquest showed us his video on his laptop, I told him that someone had posted it on FTO a few weeks earlier. He was surely puzzled. Found out the guide from CASA knew my good friend that emigrated to BC 20 years ago. It’s a small world.

There was a discussion later on after a few drinks. Brendan wants Andy to forget about Portillo and they should stay in La Trancas. I’m would be royally [censored] if that happens. If don’t go up to Portillo together, I need to be at Santiago the next night. :shock: I cannot cancel my reservation without losing 100% of my cash, Andy cancellation policy is also pretty rigid.

The forecast for the next day still calls for wind, but not as strong as the previous two days. As we stubbled into bed, we’re hoping that the lifts are running tomorrow morning or is it in a few hours? [-o< [-o< [-o<

Video by Pierre from PowderQuest mentioned in the FTO discussion a few weeks before. :shock:

viewtopic.php?t=5743

I want to thank Andy and Brendan for the use of their pictures. Although I wasn't there, here is what it looked like on the mountain.
Attachments
1-skin.jpg
Andy skinning (Photo by Brendan).
1-skin.jpg (23.68 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
2-skin.jpg
Andy skinning up (Photo by Brendan).
2-skin.jpg (12.81 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
3-ski.jpg
Andy in the storm (Photo by Brendan).
3-ski.jpg (18.98 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
4-ski.jpg
Brendan making turns (Photo by Andy).
4-ski.jpg (10.89 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
5-ski.jpg
Brendan with the base area in the background (Photo by Andy).
5-ski.jpg (22.91 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
6-ski.jpg
Brendan at the bottom of the off-piste (Photo by Andy).
6-ski.jpg (31.6 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
Last edited by Patrick on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick

Re: Chilean Adventure (the novel- Part 2) Aug/Sep 07

Postby Patrick » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:13 pm

September 4 - We are finally going skiing :)

OH YEAH!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Snow in Las Trancas. Well, I believe we noticed that the previous night going to the SnowPub, although I don’t recall for sure. Maybe it was because of what we drank OR is it because an writing this TR over 9 months later? :roll:

So we are really stoke to finally go skiing. The ski area is only 7km away. As we exit town next to the shops we get stopped by locals that tell us in Spanish that we need chains and pointing to a sign at the side of the road next to the Police station. The locals are trying to get us to rent chains and are surrounding the car. Andy talks to them calmly and tell them that we’re okay. The locals don’t really understand us and inglès and we don’t really understand what they are saying. Brendan is freaking as the locals starts going towards the wheel to install the chains. After a few tense moments, Andy simply tell them that we’ll try getting to the hill and we’ll come back if we can’t. Not sure if the local understood us as we finally drove off.

The road was snow covered and pretty muddy. We were okay as long as we had momentum...crap, cars in chains are pretty slow. After a few passes with wheels spinning and snow and mud flying, we get to the parking lot.

First up the slow double at the resort to the base. Wind is still pretty strong and the Dono Oto double is still close with two top t-bars. The triple is open with 7 minutes wait then off to the poma which has a cluster of skiers as a lineup similar to France. :shock: Yep, it’s the only top lift open and there is a bunch of ski teams on the Hill training for the next few days FIS races. After a 20 minutes wait, we’re off. :) We did laps off the poma for the first three out of four runs. Great fun to start off the day. Also skied to the bottom of the triple twice in the morning.

1-poma.jpg
Picture waiting in the poma line.

2-pat-poma-loop.jpg
One of our first few runs, Pat not skiing on the map. Didn't much on the trails today :) (photo by Andy or Brendan)
2-pat-poma-loop.jpg (25.62 KiB) Viewed 3423 times

3-brendan-poma-loop.jpg
Next run by Brendan (photo by Andy)
3-brendan-poma-loop.jpg (66.21 KiB) Viewed 3407 times

On the first of those longer off-piste runs in trackless terrain, both Powderquest guides show up and mentioned “I can’t believe we got snaked by Ontarians.” :D

The snow was somewhat wind blown, but surfaces were amazing. On our 6th runs and last before lunch we headed in between some trails on this massif terrain, ended trying to find the best way down. This run ended up in the woods, however the snow below was pretty wet and heavy. Pretty hard to ski.

4-fun-terrain.jpg
Changing location and skiing our way away from the track stuff and about to snake the Powderquest guides.

5-pat-off.jpg
Is this good Pat? (photo by Andy)
5-pat-off.jpg (33.9 KiB) Viewed 3422 times

6-pat-off-closeup.jpg
Pat says...OH YEAH!!! (photo by Andy)
6-pat-off-closeup.jpg (40.17 KiB) Viewed 3423 times

As we are about to head back up the lower double we see the coaches from the previous day/night. Talked about the great stuff were skiing. They are having fun themselves, they’re letting they kids free ski instead of going gates on this beautiful day. It’s a beautiful day indeed.

As we eat lunch outside the lodge, we happen chat up the CASA guide and her one girl group. WTF??? I can’t believe that the other guy that was with her isn’t even skiing. Apparently he partied too much the night before. The day was Priceless and this guy is missing it while paying for a CASA tour. #-o

We run into the Canucks coaches again and eventually take them and their kids out-of-bounds with us. You should have seen their smiles, another priceless moments. That was reward enough. :D

7-lunchbreak.jpg
Lunch break. View of the mountains behind the lodge.

8-lunchbreak-group.jpg
Pat, Andy and Brendan taking a break.
Last edited by Patrick on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
http://madpatski.wordpress.com
Patrick

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:08 pm

Nice to see pics of the great conditions. Unquestionably an epic day worth waiting for.

Looking at the map, lift ratios, etc. it's not obvious to me why Chillan is any better than Portillo based purely on terrain. Is it that much bigger? Are there similar sustained pitches like the Roca Jack traverse runs we missed or the Lake Chutes?

I do want Chillan's snow stats if anyone can get them.

The day was Priceless and this guy is missing it will paying for a CASA tour.
I remember the guy at Las Lenas who partied hard and got sick and missed the ONE day of Marte open. I'm not too sorry for him, as he's a regular and goes on one of the EC Las Lenas trips every year.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Patrick » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:Nice to see pics of the great conditions.

There are a few others to post from THIS day with map and graph. The pics are selected and almost ready to post. Wife needed the computer and was tired of waiting. :| I'll try posting the rest of this day's pics tonight.

Tony Crocker wrote:Looking at the map, lift ratios, etc. it's not obvious to me why Chillan is any better than Portillo based purely on terrain. Is it that much bigger? Are there similar sustained pitches like the Roca Jack traverse runs we missed or the Lake Chutes?.

This map doesn't do any justice to this place. You'll see the map of our day and the limited lift opens. However I had to respect ski forum internet etiquette and no clearly indicate where we skied. All the picture I posted yesterday were simply access via the Poma (lift G). One of the advantages of this place is the terrain and endless touring possibilities. This will be clear in the next chapters. Everything is very confined at Portillo, the vertical of Dono Oto alone, which was closed on this day, is 700 meters.

Tony Crocker wrote:I do want Chillan's snow stats if anyone can get them.

I mentioned this somewhere in this TR, the place was having a great year snow wise. Looking at snow depth, not so great this year. So regardless if it's further south, if it's doesn't get the same amount of precipitations...it's not going to help. Of course, all my information is second hand. Yes, someone give Tony so snow stats.
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:53 pm

Here are pictures from our last run.

For our last run, we opted for another long run to the car. We got an extra lift higher up, although the higher lift was still closed. We climbed over the small ridge of rock in order to start our last run higher and access a nice 800 meter vertical mostly off-piste. (see graph)

9-toplift.jpg
Top t-bar still closed.

10-andy-terrain.jpg
Andy and the terrain for our last run.

11-terrain.jpg
Where is Brendan? Yes, this place is huge.

12-longrun.jpg
It's almost 5pm and Andy is skiing fresh tracks (photo by Brendan).
12-longrun.jpg (38.37 KiB) Viewed 3309 times

13-longrun.jpg
Still a long way down to reach the car below treeline. (Photo by Andy or Brendan).
13-longrun.jpg (48.41 KiB) Viewed 3309 times

14-longrun.jpg
Brendan's turn (Photo by Andy).
14-longrun.jpg (42.02 KiB) Viewed 3309 times

15-resort_in_sight.jpg
Trail curve below treeline and the Resort base is in sight.
Last edited by Patrick on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:05 pm

What a day. \:D/

There is a certain in ski forum etiquette which prohibit me to post off-piste details on the internet. :mrgreen: Sorry folks. As you can see from our pictures and the map, we skied on a few limited lifts, but terrain wasn't limiting. Basic used the Poma (H) on every runs and the Triple (C) every few runs. It was definitely my best ski day in September, to date!!! :twisted:

map-termas2.jpg
Map with lifts used in purple. Basically last the other main lift were closed due to wind. T-Bar H opened in PM.
map-termas2.jpg (84.55 KiB) Viewed 3301 times

sept4graph.jpg
Suunto S6 log.
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:46 pm

There is no reason based upon rainfall stats from the cities why the pattern by latitude would not be like the Pacific Coast of North America. So it's could be a fairly close analogy to the Sierra vs. Cascades. In both cases the lower latitude mountains are much higher altitude, snow is more erratic but it comes in big dumps and doesn't rain as much as other places.

Where the analogy breaks down is that Portillo/Valle Nevado are not Sierra latitude but L.A./San Diego latitude. And Chillan is Sierra latitude but Oregon altitude. Therefore snowfall is likely lower in these places than their North American counterparts. But since Portillo is 254, Chillan could still be 300+.

Valdivia at latitude 40 on the coast gets 100 inches of rain. Pucon/Villarica is at latitude 39 and elevation 4,600 -6,900. Its claim of 400+ inches snow might be credible, though I'm sure it gets its fair share of rain.

We still must keep in mind, as in North America, that some seasons' storm tracks will favor the lower latitudes, even though that's not the long term average.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby Patrick » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:56 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:There is no reason based upon rainfall stats from the cities why the pattern by latitude would not be like the Pacific Coast of North America.(...)But since Portillo is 254, Chillan could still be 300+.

I don't know, there might other factors at play like air currents, topography. Mountain above Santiago are much more higher and might form a barrier that favour precipitations? This said, I don't have any knowledge of this being the case.

Tony Crocker wrote:Pucon/Villarica is at latitude 39 and elevation 4,600 -6,900. Its claim of 400+ inches snow might be credible, though I'm sure it gets its fair share of rain.

Yep, the 30cm Termas was suppose to be 90cm in Pucon, however much of it was rain apparently.
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:31 pm

September 4: Après-ski or Drive 800km?

Our initial plan was to ski in Portillo tomorrow morning which is something like a short 800km away. We had a nonrefundable reservation for September 5-8 which included skiing, lodging and meals. But when you’re in South America (or elsewhere for that matter), you have be flexible, especially that Termas had received 30cm of snow the previous day and Portillo hadn’t received any snow in 20 days. Hard choice, n’est pas? :-k

At the Chil’In, some other skiers walked in and arrived from Pucon, the place that Brendan was looking to go at. Found out that it’s was closed and they received mostly rain apparently. You cannot be stress when in South America, you just have to stay put and wait it out, because you never know and cannot guarantee what will happen. I guess it’s the TISA factor; This Is South America!!! This is one of the important lessons learned from the Powderquest guides staying at the Chil’In.

So what did we do? We started our Après-ski at the Chil’In and finished at the SnowPub down the street. OH YEAH !!! :shock: :shock: :shock: #-o

So good that we decided to ski here tomorrow regardless of our paid ticket in Portillo. This is too good. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

As we walked in the SnowPub, we are greeted by a bunch of people we know, just like Norm on Cheers. Some of them were surprised that we’re still in town. We told, “f*ck Portillo, we are skiing here mañana.” :)

Canucks coaches were there at one table, banned TGR guy that isn’t SNR and friend skiing on BROs were there talking to the CASA lady guide and her girl client at another table. Don’t recall seeing the MRG skibum patrol.or the other CASA customer. As we shout at each other, we were all pretty much on a buzz from our awesome day. Coaches pay us back for bringing them and their kids off-piste. After a few beer, shooters and great discussions, we leave the smoky pub probably a bit late. The girl customer is totally wasted, coaches aren’t probably going to have a rough day working on the hill, TGR guy shout out that he’s looking forward to read THIS TR!!! :oops: :oops: Sorry man, life is busy, hope you like it?

It’s late in this story and now, I’m going to bed.

SEE YOU ON THE SLOPES TOMORROW!!!
Ski Mad World
Patrick

September 5: ski hard, party harder later, much later!!!

Postby Patrick » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:34 pm

September 5: ski hard, party harder later, much later!!!

September 5th and it’s ain’t Portillo. Plan is to get to the mountain early, ski a few runs and then drive forever until we reach Portillo. Sound fine, si?

Unfortunately the SnowPub nightlife conspired against some of us. :? That morning the Powderquests were talking to the Chil’In owner about their plan for a huge tour. We vacanted the room and paid our tab for meals, lodging and maybe a few drinks. :|

Once on the mountain, we parked at the lower parking and got on the lift at 10:30ish. No wind issues today, we didn’t notice any lift clossure. Once at the second and main base of the mountain, the old double, Dono Oto IS OPEN!!! :drool:

1-doto-open.jpg
Brendan and Andy are stoke. Doto is open!!!

We get on that old rustic lift; I wonder if this lift would be able to pass inspection and run in North America? Below us on the lower moutain, a FIS slalom race is taking place. As we climb higher away and passed the midstation, we’re getting excited with anticipation. We're going to be able to access part of type of terrain we were hitting yesterday but much higher and longer runs with one lift.

2-race-chicks.jpg
Girls getting ready to race that means less competition for the lift and terrain.

3-doto-ride.jpg
This is a long lift, 2.5km and 700m vertical gain.

4-doto-scenery.jpg
Scenery from the lift.

5-doto-scenery.jpg
Scenery looking up to the right.

6-view-from-top-doto.jpg
View of the part of the ski area from the top of the old double.

In order to respect the ski forum etiquette, I’ll limit with words to only mention the spetacular scenery in front us, amazing natural wind grooming powder runs in untracked fresh snow every run, cliff and cornice dropping, truly amazing.
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Tony Crocker » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:31 pm

I wonder if this lift would be able to pass inspection and run in North America?
Powdr Corp would have no problem running it at Mt. Bachelor. :lol:

These pictures were a bit better in conveying overall scale. It looks like exposure away from the sun is decent, judging by shadows from the lift towers.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

PreviousNext

Return to Down Under