Southern Hemisphere skiing during Northern Hemisphere winter

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding anywhere in the southern hemisphere: New Zealand, Australia, South America, etc., including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Southern Hemisphere skiing during Northern Hemisphere winter

Postby Admin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:32 pm

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Southern Hemisphere skiing during Northern Hemisphere winter

Postby Patrick » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:48 pm

Admin wrote:Who'da thunk it?

Actually, I found out about it last week while staying at Hostal 41 Below in Bariloche.

I had a good talk with the owner of the place, he's a Kiwi boarder. He was talking about heading to New Zealand for November or December and get some riding done. He was talking about season trying to making it to the New Year, lifts or not.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
http://madpatski.wordpress.com
Patrick

Re: Southern Hemisphere skiing during Northern Hemisphere winter

Postby Tony Crocker » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:15 pm

I've heard of this before. Ruepehu has some of the characteristics of Bachelor. It's an isolated volcanic cone with violent winds and frequent lift closures midwinter. But it usually gets more snow that the South Island lift service, which is all leeward of taller mountains. Also Ruepehu is ~4 hours drive from a fair sized First World urban area in Auckland. Which means daytrippers and weekenders will actually show up for spring skiing in big years, unlike Portillo and Valle Nevado, which surely had the snow to run late in 2005.

Turoa is on the SW side and should hold the snow longer. Its season extends into November fairly often. And I think one of those areas reopened for Christmas-to-New-Year's after the last big NZ season in 2004. Perhaps I should bring ski boots along for the November 2012 eclipse trip to Australia/NZ.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Return to Down Under