Mt. Olympus (NZ), July 16

sven

I couldn't get a place at the lodge up on Mount Olympus (all 36 bunks were filled apparently), which was unfortunate, as everyone told me about the hot tub they have up there. And transportation was another issue - I had a really cheap 2wd rental car, and Mount Olympus has probably the most terrifying access road I've ever seen - I think one of the tourist information booklets listed Mt. Olympus' access road as the only one requiring both 4wd and chains. But I figured if I got there at around 8:30 or so, I was bound to find at least one car heading up with room to give me a lift from the bottom, so I decided to try hitchhiking, and figured I'd give up around 10 AM. After about an hour of waiting (at around 9:30) I found a couple of skiers with room to give me a lift. I think they might have been one of a total of 3 cars that headed up that morning, so I was really glad for it.

The entrance to the gravel road leading toward Mt. Olympus (you've got to open the gate up, there is a sign telling you to turn into here off the road, and on the gate itself a small plastic bag with "Road to Mt. Olympus only" written in marker affixed to it)
DSCF0176.jpg

This seemed like a good place to park and try hitchhiking (not sure why I had my suitcase out)
DSCF0183.jpg

Some Keas "remodeling" the rubber sealant around some unfortunate motorist's sunroof
DSCF0193.jpg

I'm a big fan of ski areas that decide to call a run "Shithouse"
DSCF0224.jpg

Also a big fan of throwback ski lodges
DSCF0200.jpg

More of the ski lodge
DSCF0201.jpg

That's the parking lot down there.... maybe about 10 cars total
DSCF0213.jpg

Some great terrain at Mt. Olympus.... though it was not nearly as big as Craigieburn
DSCF0212.jpg

Some steeper stuff.... though pretty difficult to capture steepness in photo
DSCF0220.jpg

Nutcrackers and belts for the rope tows at Mt. Olympus
DSCF0228.jpg

Sven

1. You missed out. All you needed to do is ask, and they'll let you use the tub for 10 NZD. Highest spa in NZ.
2. Olympus is great.
3. Access road is really scary, especially when the snow line is really low.
4. Those chairs in the lodge in your picture were so comfortable.

Back