TR: Antarctica ski trip 2008 with Video*

Some Good

Doesn't really fit into any the board topics so Western NA it is. [Seems obvious to me where it should be, though I see admin disagreed. TC] One year ago we boarded a ship in Ushuaia, Argentina to head to Antarctica for a skiing adventure. It was an amazing experience to say the least.

It has taken me one year to finally produce a video from all the footage I shot while we were there. There's some good skiing footage, and a lot of amazing wildlife & scenery shots.

The video is embedded in a short blog post and can be found here;

http://www.somegood.ca/Site/Blog/Entrie ... video.html

I suspect there will be a few photos floating around some of the ski magazines from our trip in the coming months.

Ice Axe Expeditions is setting sail for Antarctica again any day with another boat load of skiers. Hopefully some reports from their trip starts filing in soon.

Some Good, this is excellent stuff! I moved your topic to the General Discussion area and in order to avoid diluting the responses between two topics and I merged the two together. I also took the liberty of x-posting your video to our SkiTube service at http://www.skimovies.com/ (the portion of FTO accessible via the Video link in the header).

Nice, nice stuff. That penguin at 3:15 sure looks confused! :lol:

I tweeted the URL to the SkiTube x-post and it generated 40 views in the first hour...on a quiet Saturday afternoon.

Great video and report. =D> =D> =D> This trip is on my to-do list, BUT
In a perfect world, we would have gone there with the ICE AXE crew and had much bigger ski excursions; 6-10 hour days (instead of 3 hours at a time), first descents, big couloirs, and whatever type of skiing or snowboarding you prefer.

However, my whistle has been wet enough that we are seriously considering going back again next year to ski some bigger peaks and lines. If you are interested, you should check out Ice Axe Expeditions website ASAP for information on the 2009 trip. Book soon, as I am pretty sure the word is getting out about the amazing potential for this trip.

For amateurs such as myself, the 3 hour excursion would be just fine. Your mix of the usual Antarctic sightseeing with some skiing would be appropriate. So a couple of questions:
1) Will they only accept pro-level skiers for this?
2) Timing. Maybe a few weeks later so the Lemaire Channel, Petermann Island, Scott Peak etc. are less likely to be blocked by sea ice? Or do you think the ski conditions would be much worse? Conditions looked great in the video, hopefully that was representative and not cherry-picked too much.

WOW... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Saw that you posted this elsewhere and I haven't had time to read and view your blog. You can blame it on the Damn Buenos Aires taxi driver. ](*,) Definitely looks like an Amazing trip. Memories that will last a lifetime.

Back