43 Below, ARG - 29 Aug - 1 Sept 10

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding anywhere in the southern hemisphere: New Zealand, Australia, South America, etc., including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: 43 Below, ARG - 29 Aug - 1 Sept 10

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

The average quality of the Canadian list is much higher and the cost is far less. Patrick does not get 10 weeks of vacation per year. He may get more time than most Americans, but as for any of us resources in time and $ are finite.

Patrick wrote:Okay, let's me put another analogy...let's say you could only sex 30=40 days in one year, you would want all that sex to be confined only between December and April? Or spread out those days throughout the whole year.
If I had to pay $500 for each time in August/September I might take a pass. :lol:

Patrick has at least admitted that to him it's worth paying much more for skiing of equivalent or lesser quality just because it's June-October vs. December-April. The Streak is the logical extension of that mindset. He has also spent airfare and vacation time for Mammoth in June/July twice. In response to rfarren's inquiries I have expressed my opinion that a ski-centric vacation to Mammoth costing airfare $ is worthwhile only to Memorial Day given typical lifts/terrain open. Nonetheless I =D> Patrick's most recent Mammoth trip as he finally brought Morgane with him. Patrick also spent vacation and air to ski the WROD in Colorado in October. This was the option I rejected in 2005.

I plead guilty to paying the "off-season" premium for skiing myself 4 of the past 6 seasons. But I wouldn't do it if it were at the expense of my interior B.C. or Utah trips. And I would not take a 13-day trip where 6 days were spent on planes and buses.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Patrick » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:17 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:Gotta love Patrick's ten weeks of paid vacation every year. :-"

Try four week a year wiseguy. :stir:

Admin wrote:
Patrick wrote:From what I heard for the two traveling Frenchman that arrived in my room, Catedral was a happening place. Like Terrace, they are direct flight from a major city. In this case, the flight is direct from Buenos Aires and runs two times a week and cost about $500.

Well, if the place is "happening" it sure isn't because of two flights a week -- they can't account for more than 150-250 people.

Sorry, I meet the 2 flights are for Esquel.

Bariloche is happening now. Couldn't believe the people here, a bunch of gringos, some of them pretty famous too.

Tony Crocker wrote:The average quality of the Canadian list is much higher and the cost is far less. Patrick does not get 10 weeks of vacation per year. He may get more time than most Americans, but as for any of us resources in time and $ are finite.

Much higher? We dont necessarly have the same definitions. 5 days skiing in a row, the overall quality of the days is probably on par or superior if I didmt ski anymore on this trip. Steeps, untracked powder...damn, it doesnt suck.

Tony Crocker wrote:Patrick has at least admitted that to him it's worth paying much more for skiing of equivalent or lesser quality just because it's June-October vs. December-April. The Streak is the logical extension of that mindset. He has also spent airfare and vacation time for Mammoth in June/July twice. In response to rfarren's inquiries I have expressed my opinion that a ski-centric vacation to Mammoth costing airfare $ is worthwhile only to Memorial Day given typical lifts/terrain open. Nonetheless I =D> Patrick's most recent Mammoth trip as he finally brought Morgane with him. Patrick also spent vacation and air to ski the WROD in Colorado in October. This was the option I rejected in 2005.

Colorado is the only exception to the role. 1..never been to Colorado, I even drove all the way out to Aspen on that weekend. 2..wanted to see what the fuss is about. Frank mentioned at one time that we would love to go to Colorado in October to ski WROD. He went twice to Timberline without a streak. If the streak was the purpose in my days, I would have been to Tucks in June and July this year plus returned to Oregon for a weekend. :dead horse:

Tony Crocker wrote:And I would not take a 13-day trip where 6 days were spent on planes and buses.

6 days??? What are you talking about?

27 - Landing in SCL and bus later that night to Osorno.
28 = Arrived in Osorno and took two buses to Esquel
29, 30, 31 = skied
1 = skied and took the evening bus to Bariloche.
2 - ski again.
and planning to ski tomorrow and Saturday. It will depends on the weather and where I want to go and what is possible. Checking the forecast.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
http://madpatski.wordpress.com
Patrick

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:16 pm

Patrick wrote:6 days??? What are you talking about?

Last ski day is Saturday and you're flying out of Santiago Wednesday?

Left unstated in the positive reports of terrain and conditions is how much skiing one could actually do. With TISA, lift closures and transport logistics I'm guessing about 10K per day. It's fortunate Patrick brought an Alpine Touring setup, because with the lift closures it certainly came in handy. Useful reports, nudging me even more in the direction of converting powderqueen's used BD Verdicts to AT.

Patrick wrote:Frank mentioned at one time that we would love to go to Colorado in October to ski WROD. He went twice to Timberline without a streak.

Frank is even nuttier than Patrick IMHO. After all those FTO nutcase posts back in 2003 when he was in college, Frank cleverly took an accounting job which allows him no time off whatsoever from January to April. I warned him about this offline when he was still in college.

Patrick wrote:If the streak was the purpose in my days, I would have been to Tucks in June and July this year plus returned to Oregon for a weekend.

There's a rational case for that. Spend the saved $ and vacation time on France or B.C. and the average quality of the entire ski season might be higher. This is the usual method for Ron Cram http://skistreak.com/ in Utah. He hikes backcountry in June/July, then hits Timberline for a quick trip for August/September, though he went to South America in 2006 and 2008. Of course he's skiing real mountains all the time in our winter, and not just in Utah. His 2002 trip to Chamonix was quite a bit more impressive than mine in 2004: http://skistreak.com/2002/europe/chamon ... uille.html. It takes much more ......dedication... to maintain a ski streak from Ottawa.

Being the snow research junkie that I am, I am quite aware that the potential for shutdowns or bad snow conditions at all Southern Hemisphere destinations is much greater than at even average resorts in the American and Canadian West. Probably more than the Alps too. It does not surprise me that only one of my 6 southern trips (NZ 2006) had consistent snow conditions comparable to most of my Utah and B.C. vacations. Southern ski trips are sort of like the eclipse trips. Plan lots of other/contingent activities so your vacation is not a bust if the weather doesn't cooperate.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby Patrick » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:48 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:
Patrick wrote:6 days??? What are you talking about?

Last ski day is Saturday and you're flying out of Santiago Wednesday?

What??? You were talking about 6 travel days. I'm looking at the weather for this weekend and early next week. I could possibly ski a couple of days. I will possibly have only 2 travel days...it depends of the next destinations. Hard to find info and weather isn't super at one of the new places I'm looking at, I might return to see if I have more luck at a repeat place.

Tony Crocker wrote:With TISA, lift closures and transport logistics I'm guessing about 10K per day.

All 5 days have had so far at least 10k even today with a 2.5 hour tour with a good hike on day 1 and TISA fator.

Tony Crocker wrote:
Patrick wrote:If the streak was the purpose in my days, I would have been to Tucks in June and July this year plus returned to Oregon for a weekend.

There's a rational case for that. Spend the saved $ and vacation time on France or B.C. and the average quality of the entire ski season might be higher.

There is skiing at home...and close to home. I'm not feeding away withdrawal from not skiing. I've explained at lenght why it is more difficult to take time off in the Winter time...not all is under my control. Family, Work, School, kids, etc. Impact is less now than in the middle of winter, not to say that I wont go back West this year or next..it just happened that way that I missed the last 2 seasons.
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:14 pm

Sorry, minimum 4 travel days out of 13 total. That's still about double the rate of my southern trips.

I do follow these adventures with interest because a Powderquest tour of the higher latitude Chile/Argentine areas should be on my retirement agenda. I'll reserve judgment until I've seen them personally, but the Argentine Lake areas strike me as similar in scale and snow reliability to New Zealand but with higher risk factors.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby Lucky Luke » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:20 am

:hijack:
This TR about south america skiing is getting pretty boring.

You guys should argue about how YOU like to spend YOUR vacation on another tread called striring sh__! [-X

I spoked my mind again... :-#
Ski free or die
Lucky Luke

Postby Patrick » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:01 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:Sorry, minimum 4 travel days out of 13 total. That's still about double the rate of my southern trips.

What are you talking about? I like to changed ski areas, do you count these as travel days? I remember Easter 01 when we skied Whiteface, Ste-Anne, Massif and Glen. I've skied 6 days in a row. How many travel days on that 2006 Western Trip? At least 5 if you count that way. I'm not driving. I'm watching movies on the bus, reading, sleeping, not really tiring.

Lucky Luke wrote:I spoked my mind again... :-#

Well said.
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:14 pm

Catching on putting pictures online amongst other things. I decided to skip skiing this weekend in order to get things done...retour trip to Montreal tomorrow.

And now is probably a good time to bump this. I know Tony has been bugging me for these at one point, but I had other priorities.

Pics have been added of this TR have been incorporated here (you'll also find links to the whole series pictures inside that TR):

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2010/08/ ... 1-sept-10/

The other pics should be incorporated in the next couple of weeks (Catedral, Bayo and Pucon). Also working on recapturing the pics from the 2008 TRs where the links have become disconnected.
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Tony Crocker » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:34 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:With TISA, lift closures and transport logistics I'm guessing about 10K per day.

The best day Aug 31 at La Hoya was 18,900. The other 3 were 11,300, 10,200 and 11,300.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby Patrick » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:25 am

Tony Crocker wrote:

The best day Aug 31 at La Hoya was 18,900. The other 3 were 11,300, 10,200 and 11,300.

I skied 28k at Loon on April 8...I always thought your were quality over quantity Tony?

Aug 29 - includes hikes to access premium quality terrain reached with 2 15-20 minutes hikes.
Aug 30 - includes skinning and lift closures.
Aug 31 - excellent day
Sept 1 - a bunch of hikes again.

Best day? Definitely Aug 29 with Aug 31 and Sept 1 were on par.
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Previous

Return to Down Under