Volcano Villarrica CL - 7 Sept 10

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding anywhere in the southern hemisphere: New Zealand, Australia, South America, etc., including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: Volcano Villarrica CL - 7 Sept 10

Postby Patrick » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:I would still recommend New Zealand over Patagonia. If you want to go cheap, the hostel/backpacker lodges are common, including onsite at some of the club ski areas. Snowfall, terrain, ski conditions are overall similar IMHO, without the TISA factor.

It's not that I don't want to go, but it's a matter on time/finances/kitchen issues. Family pressures would have to include the family for such a trip.

Two weeks with the travel time is small of a time frame for such a trip from Eastern Canada, especially if you take into account travel time and time zones.

There is no way I could be even close to that per day cost in NZ. The plane ticket alone would have cost me 70-80% more (I looked) and pretty sure meals wouldn't be as cheap....plus NZ doesn't have the great bus system that Chile/Argentina has, so here the car option would be the means of travel.

For an example, the bus ride from Esquel-Bariloche (about 400km) is approx. $12 CDN. Do you understand why I don't opt for a car in SA, 1) the premium I would pay 2) plus the mileage I would drive solo after a day of skiing 3) plus the distances ...4) plus the randomness of police roadblocks... 5) not even counting crossing the border with a car rental... a car rental for solo trip doesn't make sense in SA IMHO unless you have money to burn. I did a detailed account (as I did the previous years) of cost per items and per day. I could have a lot saved even more by cooking my own meals in hostel, but I didn't want to bother.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
http://madpatski.wordpress.com
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:03 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:This is one of the most publicized but least achieved ski experiences in South America IMHO. Patrick deserves some =D> for getting as much of it as he did. It sounds like he might have gotten all of it the previous day. Powderquest allows 2 days but I bet they still don't get it that often with the weather.

Okay, back on topic.

I don't know about the least achieved? Never really looked into it. I know a few Aussies girls and one South African girl at my hostel did it on previous days. A couple did it on my first day in Pucon. Also spoke to a Kiwi staying in Pucon for the Winter and he mentioned going it and thinking about returning on the day I tried, for him, it depended how much he was going to drink that night. The only I heard turning back is the American girl with us and another American, the girl said she was jinx about volcano climbs. She tried a few in SA.

I arrived in Pucon passed 11pm the previous day, so I didn't know what to expect on day one. It's only after speaking and figuring out the logistic that I decided to try it. It was on the wish list after all.

Tony Crocker wrote:I wonder Pucon's summer weather is like? The Dec. 14, 2020 eclipse passes directly over that volcano.

I don't know about the Summer, but the place does get some serious precipitations in the Winter. Pretty green place. On the day we tried, at the end of the day, all the sky was clear plus the other summits (sometimes higher) were clear, except Villarrica.
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Tony Crocker » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:26 am

Patrick wrote:It's not that I don't want to go, but it's a matter on time/finances/kitchen issues. Family pressures would have to include the family for such a trip.

4x in South America now. Patrick's kids are close to the ages mine were for the Australia/NZ trip in 1997, so this should be on the radar one of these years soon.

Patrick wrote:The bus ride from Esquel-Bariloche (about 400km) is approx. $12. Do you understand why I don't opt for a car in SA

Sorry, no I don't. If I have come that far and spent that much time and air transport $, I'm not giving up half a powder day (happened on both of your trips) to save a few bucks on the car.

I have replied to other points offline.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Patrick » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:57 am

Tony Crocker wrote:
Patrick wrote:The bus ride from Esquel-Bariloche (about 400km) is approx. $12. Do you understand why I don't opt for a car in SA

Sorry, no I don't. If I have come that far and spent that much time and air transport $, I'm not giving up half a powder day (happened on both of your trips) to save a few bucks on the car.

Lost half a powder day, yeck Tony, I couldn't ski anymore. Stopped skiing at 2pm without any stopping for lunch. It was day 4 in a row. Vertical is similar to previous days plus I did 4 hikes across in the slackcountry. I don't call it cutting a day short at all. Powder day? That was powder number 4 in a row. :dead horse: I'm no machine...the Pat from Utah I was skiing with didn't come out the last day. I skied 9 days out of 10 on this trip, I wouldn't have skied anymore if I would have a car, I was pushing my limit. I would have definitely not had been able to drive back from Pucon to Santiago (900km) after that volcano climb and a few cerzerzas. :dead horse:
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Tony Crocker » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:37 am

Patrick wrote:Stopped skiing at 2pm without any stopping for lunch.

I recall delays getting TO the mountain at La Hoya also.

I'm convinced it's difficult to use a car for the border crossings. And I probably wouldn't do it for Santiago-Pucon if I wasn't stopping at other places along the way. But once in Bariloche to get around the Argentine Lake areas, absolutely. :dead horse:
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby Patrick » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:08 am

Tony Crocker wrote:
Patrick wrote:Stopped skiing at 2pm without any stopping for lunch.

I recall delays getting TO the mountain at La Hoya also.

But once in Bariloche to get around the Argentine Lake areas, absolutely. :dead horse:

Lift open at 9:30 and I was at the hill maybe 15 minutes later that day. Regardless of the time I started, when I done (ie. tired), I'm done... There isn't much competition on the hill when you're the only going off-piste that day. This isn't North America or Las Lenas, there is no competition for fresh tracks.

Esquel to Bariloche is 282km on Ruta 40, not exactly an Interstate. Montreal to Killington is an easier drive.

Unlike the last time, I stopped in Villa La Angostura to stayed there, I didn't bother going a daytrip to and from Bariloche for it. Saved time and rested up...plus it was on the road to Argentina. VLA is 7km from the border on a main pass.

Around the lake areas, you are talking about Catedral and Cerro Bayo. I know that I wasn't going to focus on these places (3 days out of 10 on my trip).
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Tony Crocker » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:53 pm

Patrick wrote:Esquel to Bariloche is 282km on Ruta 40, not exactly an Interstate.

My best ski day in July at Porters included 260km of non-interstate driving, including ~50km unpaved.

A few other secondary road post-ski drives:
Mt. Baker to Whistler 245km with a border crossing
Fernie to Nelson 306km with a ferry crossing
Retallack to Schweitzer 240km with ferry and border crossing
Fernie to Canmore, skiing the day at Panorama 423km, shared driving

And most people would think Al Solish and I were nutcases on the ill-fated Tropical Punch trip of 2005. That included:
Spokane to Great Northern, Great Northern to Golden and a daytrip to Lake Louise from Golden.
Later there was Kicking Horse to Rossland 497km. At least the driving (and misery) was shared on that trip.

250km every day is not a good idea. But to and from a multi-day stay in Esquel, not that big a deal. It's also tiring shlepping luggage from lodging to bus stations. I'm guessing you're not hiring Argentine taxi drivers to do that. :stir:

Patrick needs to find another nutcase to go with him on these trips. That would make the car decision easier.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby Patrick » Wed May 23, 2012 9:40 pm

That is the last one. For some reason I thought I was done updating my 2010 SA TRs.

Updated version with Pics and log in link below:
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2010/09/ ... 7-sept-10/
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Previous

Return to Down Under