South America 2011

A slow start as of mid-July:
Season snowfall at Portillo is 79 inches
The upper T-bars at Valle Nevado are not open. La Parva is 54% open. There has been ~60cm new snow at these places, so perhaps more terrain will open soon.

No direct reports from Chillan (base 11-35inches), Las Lenas (base 14-20inches, 25% open) or Catedral (base 5-18inches, 25% open). TISA, info in parentheses is from OntheSnow.com

It looks like Patrick picked a good year NOT to return to South America.

Tony Crocker":10r2aopd said:
It looks like Patrick picked a good year NOT to return to South America.
I remember a few years where it started off dicey. You have to remain flexible like what I did last year. Although the year was iffy, I thought it was probably my best year (less frustration, best overall conditions, more days). The stars were finally aligned like bus route down south.

Tony, I realized you've been waiting for my pictures from last year for a long time. I'm trying to get everything out in an orderly fashion (I have a friend still waiting for my Sutton TR from this Winter), but you wouldn't believe my overwhelmed I am right now, T-9 days for departure. Fridge brokedown on Sunday. Poweroutage due to crazy windstorm on Sunday evening, some of you might have heard what happened at Bluesfest. Daughter had an audition in TO yesterday. Seeing McCartney in MTL in a week at still no confirmation for my 2 extra tickets that I'm looking to sell, etc.

Portillo season snowfall is now 190 inches. From OnTheSnow.com it's the only major area in South America in full operation and the modest base depth range of 23-58 inches is also the highest. Valle Nevado is 45% open, others claim 70-75%, but if Chillan's base depth is really only 20 inches it has not been a good year. Current temperatures in the 50'sF are similar to my experience 4 years ago this week, but with this year's much lower base depths the season could be winding down prematurely.

Back