Martial Glacier, Ushuaia, Argentina, Nov. 8, 2011

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Before the Antarctic cruise the guides recommended a training day in Ushuaia. A short road from town leads to a refugio and short chairlift at 1,300 feet. From there we hiked starting about 2PM up ~800 vertical to the receding spring snowline.
IMG_0220.JPG

Tierra del Fuego lived up to its reputation as it drizzled on most of the walk up. Our guide was Forrest McCarthy from Jackson Hole. He wanted us to become familiar with using ropes and harnesses before any glacier travel in Antarctica. We're gearing up here.
IMG_0223.JPG

So we roped up even though we were well below the permanent snow of the Martial Glacier.
IMG_0224.JPG

The idea was to get used to climbing in a group at the same pace. And for Forrest to check out our use of AT gear as none of us had that much experience. Kick turns on switchbacks were a challenge for some as they had been for me on Shasta in June. The drizzle continued intermittently and finally turned to snow with some wind here at 3,000 feet.
IMG_0225.JPG

Despite the interesting terrain ahead we stopped here as it was getting late and gloves, packs etc. were soaked from the rain. Liz starting down.
IMG_0228.JPG

When I started down I ventured a couple of turns in what looked like untracked but it was like thick paste so better to ski in the skier packed snow. With 50+ people on the cruise out there today most of the snow was packed. Farther down here are Tom from Chico, CA and Norbert from Perth, Australia.
IMG_0231.JPG

Liz here
IMG_0232.JPG

The last section on snow. Total skiing was 920 vertical feet.
IMG_0238.JPG

While we were hiking down to the refugio we saw this rainbow.
IMG_0241.JPG

Back at the hotel all kinds of stuff needed to be dried out before being packed for the cruise the next morning. We cranked the heat up high and left a window open, got everything dry except some gloves that we put in a mesh pocket and then finished drying on the ship.

On Nov. 9 we toured the Tierra del Fuego National Park, boarded Clipper Adventurer ~4PM and set sail ~6PM. The cruise was serene through dinner as it takes 3-4 hours to get out of the Beagle Channel into the open ocean.

Forrest is a dedicated backcountry skier. He spent 200 days on snow in the past year and rode one lift. I think more of the guides were from Jackson than anywhere else, though many were from Ice Axe's home base in Tahoe. Another contingent was from Kevin Quinn of Points North Heliski in Alaska. Many clients and perhaps a few guides were from there. For elite backcountry types like salida or icelantic on the cruise, you might get Andrew McLean or Chris Davenport as a guide and take on some serious technical terrain and first descents.

Tony Crocker":1wg3b9ax said:
Forrest is a dedicated backcountry skier. He spent 200 days on snow in the past year and rode one lift. I think more of the guides were from Jackson than anywhere else, though many were from Ice Axe's home base in Tahoe. Another contingent was from Kevin Quinn of Points North Heliski in Alaska. Many clients and perhaps a few guides were from there. For elite backcountry types like salida or icelantic on the cruise, you might get Andrew McLean or Chris Davenport as a guide and take on some serious technical terrain and first descents.

I was Quinner's office boy for their first year in 1999. That's when I first concluded the Chugach need more lift served skiing. Glad you had fun.

Back