Altimeter suggestions?

ondeadlin

Fellas,

I'd really like to get an altimeter and track my vertical this year, but I know almost nothing about them.

Can anyone suggest what to look for? Price range? Brands?

All help is appreciated.

Jim

I'm very fond of my Highgear Altitech2, profiled in this story:
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/news/s ... 17281.shtm

It's the olive green model shown here:

accessories041130.jpg

although it also comes in a wristwatch version, in that photo as well (the black one). It's priced reasonably, and works like a charm. I keep it attached to my pack strap via the built-in carabiner.

http://www.highgear.com/

Admin":q0ikj9jw said:
I'm very fond of my Highgear Altitech2, profiled in this story
I guess with an extreme low of -4F, you HAD to move out west. :lol:

Add a lower the low temperature reading, slope angle and maximum/average speed and I would even consider getting one at that price.

As you might guess, I was an early adopter and got the first Vertech back in 1995. It works fine, but I've had to send it in for repairs (mostly replacement of $20 battery) several times. We gave Adam a Suunto altimeter watch for high school graduation in 2003.

With regard to slope angle, we now have Google Earth to resolve those arguments. I drew the yellow line for the Marte chair at Las Lenas, Google tells me its length, and you then use the altitude of the start and end points.

You can easily measure total vertical with any GPS. They run anywhere around three bills and are well worth it, you can even download your route to the mountain on some of them. I have an e trex and it works great for navigation and logging total vertical.

I've got the eTrex Vista myself. However, altitude measurement via GPS is notoriously inaccurate, and that's a big device to lug around on the hill all day just to track verts.

Yeah it is clunky to be lugging around just for vert, but it's always been pretty acurate for me. Great for long Backcountry treks.

Patrick":34tg4kwm said:
Add a lower the low temperature reading, slope angle and maximum/average speed and I would even consider getting one at that price.

I thinking about the Suunto S6 with the altimeter, slope, speed, etc etc, but when I read the owner manual on the web, I realised that the slope measure and speed where only guesstimate based on YOUR slope measurement (ie. aim watch at bottom of hill). So it might be great on giving the altitude, vertical and runs skied, the extra found on the Suunto are only based on estimate. I knew it was to go to be true.

So is there somewhere an instrument that can measure accurately the following as his design for snow sports?

Altitude, Vertical Skied, Runs, Slope angle (avg and max), Speed (avg and max).

Does it exist? More-or-less, to measure speed/slope, it would have to have a GPS.

A Geographer that just wondering. :roll:

Back