Monoski

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone ever seen a monoski like this, mono only at the tip?

Attachments

• monoski.JPG
    monoski.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 31,070
That's bizarre! Nope, never saw one like that.

But I did try a monoski once. A Utah-based monoski manufacturer called me while I was there a few years ago and asked me to try one of their products. I obliged, and went down to the factory to pick it up and take it to Snowbasin with me.

Sorry, but I couldn't stand it -- or, more accurately, I almost couldn't stand up. Sure, part of that might have to do with the fact that I never left the novice lift with it and never managed to link more than two turns before falling on my arse. But the feeling of having my two feet locked together side-by-side almost made me feel claustrophobic. I'll keep my two feet independent, thank you very much!

Never seen one like that before. I wonder how it skis Are the tails connected bcause from that picture you can't tell. That tips gotta be strong if it's not somehow connected in the rear to deal with any weight on that upper foot wanting to push down. Quite an interesting design.

Weird.Very strange how there is a gap between the two skis, just not at the tips and tails.I'd like to see someone get out of Beyond Beaver Pond with that thing. :wink:
((*
*))NHPH

This looks completely bizarre. Does anyone know what the point of a monoski is? I know it's different and that might be enough for some people. But are there any aspects where its performance is better than "normal" skis, or things you can do on a monoski that you can't do on skis?

looking at them I would think they would probably float better in powder. Well atleast a normal one would, dunno about that one. Having never ridden one it's hard for me to know. Would definetly be an interesting experience.

I don't get it (the split in the monski).

I never tried it, probably never will - but I thought behind the monoski was one surface to glide on? I think that split would definately have a different feel, I guess :roll: ?

In fact, I don't really have a clue about how it would make feel vs the normal :roll: monoski? I am geographer/analyst or an engineer :?:

I suggest you - try it :) I tried it 3 years ago and I sold my Volkls :) you are like a bullet.. :)

I think I understand part of the reasoning behind the split:

To eliminate bad inside-edge habits from 2-plank from over-edging the monoski. My first run on a mono, (Utah, Snowbasin, 6"-14" fresh midafternoon, LunarBoardCo. Rocket 178cm) I almost bent the board in half with the inside-edge reflex. The inside-edge reflex was much, much stronger than the little-toe edge willing control, so I went uphill and fell over. :oops: :shock: :D :oops:

cantunamunch":2p4nwh5z said:
My first run on a mono, (Utah, Snowbasin, 6"-14" fresh midafternoon, LunarBoardCo. Rocket 178cm)

Funny...my first mono "turn" was at Snowbasin aboard a Lunar.

I checked their website (http://www.snowsharkmonoskis.com/splitski.html) to see what they had to say. Funny, they never mention WHY you want this.

From their website:

"Snowshark Split Monoski Production Prototype
Patent Pending

This is the production prototype that will be tested over the next two or three months. Twelve have been built.

Specifications:
Length- 183cm
Core- Edge grain poplar
Binding plates- composite
Base- sintered Iso-Sport
Fiber - proprietary Carbon/Glass/Kevlar
Edge(s) - continuous both inner and outer

We've done some skiing on this since the first one was built earlier this year of a slightly different design. The first concerns were the loads that are centralized right at the crotch where the two "skis" meet. Surprisingly, all structural tests have been successful and we finally had to use a fork lift to do a destruct test!

Handling characteristics are obviously very different to both two skis and the traditional monoski that we are all familiar with. It is very sensitive to binding placement in different snow conditions which we will hopefully sort out when we get some better snow conditions and a variety of skiers on it.

On these ones, we used an off the shelf Snowshark Mako graphics, which will be replaced in the new year. I would expect that we will do additional flex pattern changes and test them along side of these first twelve.

My opinion?? Edge control is very good but it takes a little getting used to the four edges at the tail transitioning into two at the front which is more noticeable at lower speed. De-tuning edges has helped a lot. Our first concerns were that it stays together and to date that has not been a problem thanks to selective placing of shaped fibers. Overall, I think that it has promise, but, the proof will be in testing and trials by numerous skiers and constructive criticism and input. If it works, great, if it doesn't, it will be a great conversation piece!

Plans are to have some in both Lake Tahoe and Colorado in the next few weeks. I'm looking forward to having some fun with this!!!"

This is the new Snowshark design for 2005. Monoskiing is an excellent alternative to those sideways boards the kids are using and sitting all over the hill. They float great in 2-3" of pow, and are incredible in 12"+.
Once you learn to turn, you can go anywhere you go with two skis, without the chance of splitting your manhood on a tree.

Perhaps for the right person this would work but I'm just not sure. I would like to ride one just to see what happens. My concern in this: Ski width in stance differs for everyone. It is a direct function of how wide your hip joints are naturally set. With a fixed binding width this distance may work well for some people or possibly even for most but for a person who is naturally wider or narrower in the stance, (No I'm not talking about guys on straight boards with the boots touching doing the whole "Sven Noodleman" thing) this is not going to be a comfortable ride.

Second question is how do you hook up inside edge on your downhill ski when there is not tip or developed sidecut to make it happen??? Either way I would love to jump on one for a few turns to see what happens.

I think they called that thing a split ski. It was a prototype and they made just a few of them. Wanted to try it, but so did everyone else that day. Most said they liked it. Snowshark - the company that made that split, makes regular monos also. I personally dont ride a snowshark, they are a little heavy for my taste, but I know alot of guys who do.

Head over to laterpressure.com and you can find out pretty much anything you want to know. You could easily get started with a decent used mono for a couple of hundred or so. Been doing it for 21 years now and have not gone back yet.

20thSkier":1tm4qe4x said:
...Does anyone know what the point of a monoski is?

For most people I have no clue of what the point of a monoski is other than another way to have fun on snow.

For one skier in our area the monoski has allowed him to enjoy winter sports after an auto accident left him with an impaired nerve-muscle link on one side of his body. While he walks adequately, he cannot operate a snowboard or ski very well. But he looks smooth and in total control on a monoski.

Jeff

Monoski thread....Steez for shure.
In this world of rad shreddin whod think it was ever possible??
Until now!!!!
I need to see a pic of a dude in a onepiece neon suit on the monoboard in 6 foot moguls in the 21st century?Is there such evidence????If so bring forth.
this is all I got
he's fast thta was the only guy that passed me that one year
But that board had that same split in it I grabbed my camera and said "steez for sure"
wholeshebang019MediumWebview.jpg

Back