Rattails!

The Ski Rack is the discussion area for snowsports gear. See what your fellow readers think about the skis that you're thinking of buying, or get some feedback on the equipment that's right for you.

Rattails!

Postby yak » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:02 pm

I just finished trimming my new skins and creating rattails on them, based on instructions from this site.

It wasn't as difficult as I expected. I used a dremel tool and a file to create the tail grooves to keep the rattails centered on the ski. I even applied a bit of my typical over-engineering by adding a rivet and washer on each tail where they're normally just looped and taped.

I didn't need to cover the sticky side of the rattails with tape, because the BD version has glueless strip down the center, which also helped in cutting the rattails straight (although the picture shows the worse-cut of the two).

The Fritchi Freerides have that nice little protrusion to loop the bungees over, so I didn't have to drill into my new skis. Here's the finished product:

yak

Location: Marshfield, MA - The Irish Riviera. Avatar: White Grizzly, Meadow Creek BC

re: Rattails!

Postby Admin » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:41 pm

Nice work! Yep, lots of folks have made Lou's rat tails.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby riverc0il » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:07 pm

oh man, you are going to love that setup!!! 8800s with freerides, my kind of setup (well, it is... kinda.).
--Steve

TheSnowWay.com
"Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs
riverc0il

Postby yak » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:07 pm

yeah, I'll be riding them Saturday afternoon at Pow Mow. Lots of picture will flow
yak

Location: Marshfield, MA - The Irish Riviera. Avatar: White Grizzly, Meadow Creek BC

Postby Admin » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:16 pm

Hey Yak, if you find yourself skiing somewhere down here (Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, PCMR) on a weekend let me know, and we'll hook up for a few.

Admin
Site Admin

Re: re: Rattails!

Postby yak » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:21 pm

Admin wrote:Hey Yak, if you find yourself skiing somewhere down here (Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, PCMR) on a weekend let me know, and we'll hook up for a few.

I'm not sure we'll make it down that far. But we're planning on skiing Snowbasin on Tuesday (it's 2 for 1), and a college buddy of mine is #2 on the ski patrol there.

let me know if that would work. We'll have a small party of 8 :wink:
yak

Postby Admin » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:25 pm

Thanks, but a Tuesday will be next to impossible for me. Snowbasin and Pow Mow are both terrific hills - you'll have a blast!

Admin
Site Admin

Return to Snowsports Equipment