Hellmets, are they cool?

The Ski Rack is the discussion area for snowsports gear. See what your fellow readers think about the skis that you're thinking of buying, or get some feedback on the equipment that's right for you.

re: Hellmets, are they cool?

Postby aaron12345 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:14 pm

I agree... helmets are a tool. They help... alot. But they are not the end all be all and they DO NOT PREVENT NECK AND SPINAL INJURIES. One down side about helmets is sometimes people put them on and they feel invincible. I still think the positives outway the negatives, personally I always wear one but I don't think they should be required on the mountain in general, however a helmet requirement to do rails in the park, especially at the south east resorts with first time snowboarders attempting rails when they can't even make proper turns would save the local ski patrol ALOT of work...
aaron12345

Postby remydog » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:19 am

Patrick wrote::cry:

This story showed up in the Ski News section:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/ ... _accident/

I hate bringing this up, but the lady was wearing a helmet. Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, helmet protection is limited. :cry:

All my condeslences to her family, friends and students.

This is getting silly. People die wearing safety equipment all the time. They die in car accidents wearing seatbelts. They fall off of cliffs when they have proper ropes and harnesses.

Skiing involves certain risks of injuries. Some of those injuries, the more serious ones, involve head injuries. Further, the results of those inuries can be permanent disability and impairment. Helmets are proven to minimize and prevent many of these. Your percentages don't diminish to zero because you wear a helmet, but they do go down substantially, enough to more than justify wearing one. (They also help when someone whacks you in the head because they don't know how to carry a pair of skis in a crowd.)

Have a look at these stats on bicycle helmets: http://www.helmets.org/stats.htm

They have this to say about ski helmets:
http://www.helmets.org/skicrash.htm

"In 1998, there were more than 16,000 head injuries associated with skiing and snowboarding. CPSC estimates that each year more than 7,000 head injuries could be prevented or reduced in severity with helmet use."

"These injuries can be devastating," said CPSC Chairman Ann Brown, "Simply strapping on a helmet before hitting the slopes can save your life. Just as bicyclists do, skiers and snowboarders should get the helmet habit."

Technology has come a long way since 1998. If you haven't tried a helmet lately, you have no idea how good they are in terms of visibility, weight, ventilation and sound transfer. I find the limit to my peripheral vision is my goggles, not my helmet.

Just as Look'n4powder said, helmets are a tool, just one tool. Other steps to avoiding injuries -- look uphill on every turn and know who is around you, especially if you are turning out of the fall line; stay in control and be perpared to stop on a dime; stay off of terrain that is significantly above your ability; be certain your bindings are set correctly and your equipment is in good condition; turn down (or off) the music in your headphones; stop talking on the radio, your cell phone or videotaping your run while you are trying to ski; don't stop where skiers above you can't see you.

As a partial aside, the one time people, and especially kids, almost always fail to look up hill is when they are following someone else. When the lead person stops, say, across a trail, they simply cross without thinking. I am constantly warning my kids to avoid this false sense of security.

MSK
remydog

Postby jsul185 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:04 pm

I agree that helmets are essential today. The reason they are essential is because the average skier tries to ski like Bode Miller but has no control over his/her skis or board. I think the real discussion here should be why Ski Patrolers don't pull out of control skiers aside and educate him/her on the potential hazards that a skier may cause. Knowledge is power.
jsul185

Postby Knuckle Dragger » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:18 pm

Helmets are great in my book. I used to be the I'll never wear a helmet type. All it took was one good whack and I went right to my local shop to get one, now I can't imagine riding without it. Plus it's great in the VT trees where it gets tight sometimes (no branches to the head).
Plus the new designs are great and looking better all the time. Mine looks just like a skate helmet, I can even plug the I pod right into the ear pieces.
Knuckle Dragger

Re: re: Hellmets, are they cool?

Postby JimG. » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:28 pm

jsul185 wrote:I agree that helmets are essential today. The reason they are essential is because the average skier tries to ski like Bode Miller but has no control over his/her skis or board. I think the real discussion here should be why Ski Patrolers don't pull out of control skiers aside and educate him/her on the potential hazards that a skier may cause. Knowledge is power.

Thank you! I'll take my chances with trees, rocks, cliffs, and other inanimate objects. I wear my helmet because I'm worried about the out of control slider who couldn't avoid hitting me if they tried to.

My favorites are the ones who decide to traverse at high, out of control speed across a bump field directly into my line and then stop or fall.
These are the same folks who invoke the skier responsibility code when they get scared when I ski by, totally forgetting I just saved them from injury because I can control where my skis go.
Gravity-it's not just a good idea, it's the law!
JimG.

Postby Patrick » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:18 pm

remydog wrote:This is getting silly. People die wearing safety equipment all the time. They die in car accidents wearing seatbelts. They fall off of cliffs when they have proper ropes and harnesses.

I don't disagree, but I was just relating the fact each time someone dies on the slope, the media mentions if this person was hearing a helmet or not. In some of these death, the helmet is not relavent in the type of accident that the skier had.
Patrick

Previous

Return to Snowsports Equipment