Altimeter questions?

The Ski Rack is the discussion area for snowsports gear. See what your fellow readers think about the skis that you're thinking of buying, or get some feedback on the equipment that's right for you.

Altimeter questions?

Postby Patrick » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:41 pm

I got to try my Suunto today. :D

At Vorlage (North of Ottawa - 140meters vert)... :?

Which I add ordered for my past trip across Montana-Wyoming-Utah, which I can back last Saturday. :cry:

Anyhow, he's the question. The watch is very good to mesure a whole bunch of things - run, vertical, etc. However I noticed that the Altitude varied pretty much during the day. I know that the Altitude is calculated with the atmospheric pressure, so the pressure is changing it affect the altitude measurement (at least it did the way I set up my watch).

So in half a day, the base of Vorlage increased by 15meters (45feet). That can be pretty anoying when your curious about the exact altitude/vertical (less so) of the ski area.

Anyway I was just having fun with my watch and testing and trying to get an understanding of it for my next big trip :roll:

Another question:

Does anyone know of someone using a Suunto S6 with a Mac out there?
Patrick

re: Altimeter questions?

Postby skierhj » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:18 pm

I have an S6 but I use it with a pc. I think one of my friends uses his with a Mac. There is a function in one of the submenus that says "use alti/ use baro" If you have the watch set to barometer you will have a very accurate barometer but the altimeter will fluctuate a lot. If you set it to altimeter your barometer will still reflect pressure changes but the number will be off. However, your altimeter will fluctuate less
skierhj

Re: re: Altimeter questions?

Postby Patrick » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:06 pm

skierhj wrote:If you set it to altimeter your barometer will still reflect pressure changes but the number will be off. However, your altimeter will fluctuate less

Thanks for the response. I still need to figure how to get the data on my Mac.

Regarding the USE alti/baro setting, I was using the USE Alti mode, however a 45ft fluctuation in 4 hours seem a lot especially when the hill is less than 500ft vert. :roll: However I realise that the watch is made more to count vertical and runs than precision on elevation.
Patrick

re: Altimeter questions?

Postby skierhj » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:57 pm

keep in mind that if there is a major pressure change the altitude vary pretty wildly. Mine is pretty stable but you need to set the altitude regularily. Try Suunto's website for info on macs
skierhj

Return to Snowsports Equipment