Altimeter questions?

Patrick

I got to try my Suunto today. :D

At Vorlage (North of Ottawa - 140meters vert)... :?

Which I add ordered for my past trip across Montana-Wyoming-Utah, which I can back last Saturday. :cry:

Anyhow, he's the question. The watch is very good to mesure a whole bunch of things - run, vertical, etc. However I noticed that the Altitude varied pretty much during the day. I know that the Altitude is calculated with the atmospheric pressure, so the pressure is changing it affect the altitude measurement (at least it did the way I set up my watch).

So in half a day, the base of Vorlage increased by 15meters (45feet). That can be pretty anoying when your curious about the exact altitude/vertical (less so) of the ski area.

Anyway I was just having fun with my watch and testing and trying to get an understanding of it for my next big trip :roll:

Another question:

Does anyone know of someone using a Suunto S6 with a Mac out there?

I have an S6 but I use it with a pc. I think one of my friends uses his with a Mac. There is a function in one of the submenus that says "use alti/ use baro" If you have the watch set to barometer you will have a very accurate barometer but the altimeter will fluctuate a lot. If you set it to altimeter your barometer will still reflect pressure changes but the number will be off. However, your altimeter will fluctuate less

skierhj":1u0n4zo1 said:
If you set it to altimeter your barometer will still reflect pressure changes but the number will be off. However, your altimeter will fluctuate less

Thanks for the response. I still need to figure how to get the data on my Mac.

Regarding the USE alti/baro setting, I was using the USE Alti mode, however a 45ft fluctuation in 4 hours seem a lot especially when the hill is less than 500ft vert. :roll: However I realise that the watch is made more to count vertical and runs than precision on elevation.

keep in mind that if there is a major pressure change the altitude vary pretty wildly. Mine is pretty stable but you need to set the altitude regularily. Try Suunto's website for info on macs

Back