Legend 8000s: 0-2 (Another One Bites the Dust)

riverc0il

some of you may recall Freerides 1, Legend 8000s 0 thread from two years ago during which i wondered if the freerides destroyed the ski or the ski was of poor construction.[/B] i can happily report back that the freerides definitely had nothing to do with the breakage. unfortunately, i can also report back that the first and second production runs of the legend 8000s during the year of their first release are of poor manufacturing quality. i will be calling and speaking with dynastar customer service about this issue as this pair of skis only had 1.5 years of wear, approximately 25-30 days tops.

any one else have any experiences with the second and third years skis? while skiing MRG last year, i spoke to a former legend 8000 owner that summed up my new estimation of the ski "unbelievably great ski, but it breaks easy." i am curious if any one has either had experience or has heard stories of the latest version of this model having the same issue. the first time sucked, but whatev, it happens. this second time develops a problematic trend that is very concerning considering how much i love the ski. this is my dream ski and for my purposes, there is nothing better unless there is a foot of powder on an open slope. i can no longer recommend this ski for big boned aggressive skiers. not sure if weight was an issue or not, but i assume i am too much skier for the 8000s and have literally pushed them to the breaking point. sucks.

on the bright side, this is yet another reason why having a season pass and living close to the mountains rules. two runs on a beautiful blue bird day with nice packed pow in the woods and i can leave without having felt like i wasted sixty some odd dollars on a lift ticket.

in the ironic and humerus department, just yesterday i was telling austin that i keep my broken pair of 8000s in my gear closet in the event that my current pair breaks... i still have one good ski from the old pair that i can remount. so even if dynaster won't still by their product, i'll be back in business again next week... until the cross generation pair finally breaks (later this year, i am sure).

Attachments

• broken8000.jpg
    broken8000.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 7,018
My son Adam has the 8800's since March 2005. They haven't seen a lot of ski days, certainly not this year. He's skis hard but he's 6'0" and 140lb.

FYI the deep discount sales should be getting underway for those of us living in snow deficient areas. I just got K2 Apache Recons for myself and Volkl Allstars for Adam at 60% of retail, close to the proform prices for which these models were unfortunately not available earlier in the season.

i have had the predicesor to the 8800, the intuitiv big, for a few seasons and have not had any issues. knock on wood. just looking at the ski, the construction on the 8000 just seems odd, there is a definite seem between the top sheet and the side walls/core. i'll have to take a look at the latest version of the model to see if they changed the construction. it is very different than how the intuitiv is sandwiched together which looks more stable. not sure if that changed with the 8800.

That has to be a little disconcerting when you break a ski. I've never had it happen. Knock on Wood. At least you didn't end up going elbow first into a tree when it happened. :wink:

Back