Equipment for getting into the woods/backcountry

The Ski Rack is the discussion area for snowsports gear. See what your fellow readers think about the skis that you're thinking of buying, or get some feedback on the equipment that's right for you.

re: Equipment for getting into the woods/backcountry

Postby Chromer » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm

[edit]Oops, guess I'm too late to this party...[/edit]

Mr. Contrarian checking in...

AT is not well suited for rolling New England terrain. It's great where your uphill is ALL uphill, and your downhills are all downhill, but it is less than optimal when you have trips that entail downhills with short uphill sections, for instance, or for long approaches. While tele is never going to have the kick and glide speed of a light XC setup, a kickwaxed tele ski setup is light years ahead of plodding along the flats with skins on. On the rolling stuff, the mobility advantage of telemark in those situations is tough to explain, but very simple to demonstrate. I think it has to do with the tele setup being able to very finely modulate the amount of pressure under the ball of the foot.

Tele also has a great mobility advantage on the downhills in the woods. When a woods line closes up and you need to traverse, kick turn, or even backtrack a bit, it is far more efficient to do so on tele gear -- no need to reach back and unlock your heels, or to re-lock them before you start down again.

If you're an "expert" alpine skier you can be free-heel paralleling in two days and making solid tele turns after five. Free-heel parallel is just like alpine except it's a lot easier to do a double-heel eject -- you have to stay centered.

Plus, there's the chick thing...
Chromer

Postby BigSpencer » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:39 pm

Agreed Marc, that Silvretta Pure sounds like THE binding that handles the gammut so far.
Jay Suds, ..but that's the beauty about AT or Tele setups, you only have to get close to a mountain, then just enter/exit that "other" way. I'm still wondering, if one has the connections, one CAN ski down the trails without a liftticket...? It is just for the use to the lifts ...yay/nay :?:
I mean, I'm pretty sure I've seen people now & then skinning their way up the lower trails @Sugarloaf.

Steve
BigSpencer

Postby NHpowderhound » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:55 pm

I have no problems switching from alpine to touring and back with my Fritschi's.Just a simple flick with my ski pole and all is good. Changing the heel hieghts for climbing is just as simple.
As far as skinning ski areas I think it's relative to the area. I've seen tons of folks skinning Wildcat over the years. I've even climbed up the open slopes myself with bare boots and my Swisbob sled and slid right down the Gondola Line through the bumps during full operation, and I've never been spoken to. Now I wouldn't expect to get the same results at Gunstock or Attitash. I would expect a snow machine to screech up next to me and have a patroller flip out and threaten me with theft of services or some other legal charge :roll:
((*
*))NHPH
NHpowderhound

Postby Jay Suds » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:22 pm

To some extent, I believe such policies would be dictated by what type of land the ski hill is operating on (private, national forest, mixed). For example, I think that if the hill is operating on national forest lands, then the land is available for use by anyone, even if there's a ski resort there.
Jay Suds

Re: re: Equipment for getting into the woods/backcountry

Postby Admin » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:50 pm

Jay Suds wrote:To some extent, I believe such policies would be dictated by what type of land the ski hill is operating on (private, national forest, mixed). For example, I think that if the hill is operating on national forest lands, then the land is available for use by anyone, even if there's a ski resort there.

As I understand things, that's not quite true. The lease the resort pays to the forest service gives them rights to limit access to the leased land, but I could be wrong -- I'd need to research to verify.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby riverc0il » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:12 am

i am inclined to agree with marc on this one. i remember briefly looking at the fine print plastered on one of cannon's wall's which is on state park land and there were practically more fine print than a privately owned area. not sure about national forest land, but regardless of exact rules i have seen people skinning/snowshoeing at a lot of areas.
--Steve

TheSnowWay.com
"Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs
riverc0il

Postby Chromer » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:27 am

BigSpencer wrote:I mean, I'm pretty sure I've seen people now & then skinning their way up the lower trails @Sugarloaf.

Steve

I don't know about "high" season, but during the early season I've never been accosted while skining up West Mountain, for instance, when only the Boardwalk and Spillway chairs were running. I've also never been interrupted while skining up anything at the 'loaf afer the lifts close for the season (and Sugarloaf often closes with 80% or better of their terrain open on their last day). Of course, I do expect that if I get hurt then getting off the mountain is my own damned problem.

You'll also see the CVA nordic kids skating up Boardwalk once in a while, but they're "special." BTW, boardwalk looks pretty flat right? Try doing it in the opposite direction some time...
Chromer

Postby Jay Suds » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:01 pm

Jay Suds wrote:Wowza, I just bought my setup:

165cm Dynastar Legend 8000
Garmont Adrenalin boot
Silvretta Pure binding
Ascension Nylonx ClipFix 120mm skins

And now I am broke!

Ughs!! Wouldn't you believe it, I just went to get my new Adrenalin's fitted, and they are all f'd up. The right boot wasn't manufactured properly and is painful to wear (upon close inspection, you can see that the shell is out of whack), and my boots came both two RIGHT soles. Regardless of the caliber of these boots, it seems that Garmont needs to do some better quality control in their factories.

Since I'm up in Stowe, I'm hoping that I will be able to shoot up to Williston tomorrow and just exchange them directly. Otherwise, I will have to ship them back to backcountry.com and have them ship me another pair.

What a nightmare.
Jay Suds

Postby Admin » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:40 am

How'd you make out in Williston?

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jay Suds » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:35 am

Admin wrote:How'd you make out in Williston?

Pretty well. They hooked me up with a brand new set of boots, no hassle. The RMA guy (Nate) joked that the Italians must have had too much vino when they assembled my boots. The only pain was driving up there from Stowe in the snow, took about an hour each way with cars off the road all over the place. I've only skied on my new setup for a few hours, so far I like it quite a bit. It's definately very different than what I'm accustomed to :) The first run I took was very funky. Another plus is that I went to InnerBoot Works to get my boots baked and they wanted a 12 pack for payment. :)

Other than that, I've been having lots of work related issues that have kept me really tied to a computer or phone the past few days. I'm not too excited about joining the massive weekend crowd today, but will go out for a few hrs and then ski like crazy Monday - Thursday.

We need some snow, but there's nothing but sun and relatively mild temps forcasted out through next Tuesday, blah.
Jay Suds

Postby hamdog » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:22 am

Jay Suds says:
To some extent, I believe such policies would be dictated by what type of land the ski hill is operating on (private, national forest, mixed). For example, I think that if the hill is operating on national forest lands, then the land is available for use by anyone, even if there's a ski resort there.

except for Bridger Blows(oops, Bowl). there are signs that are posted right next to the skin
track which runs parrallel with a cattrack at the ski area that says
something like, Hikers: stay on on hiking trail.......yada yada......the
sheriff will be contacted and you will be prosecuted. the ski trail runs
parrallel for about 200yrds. i don't think that there would be so many bc
users skinning by to be much of a problem........and to post a sign up that
says you'd be prosecuted for crossing it and skinning along the cat track
trail for 3 or 4 minutes. bridger does lease the land from the forest
service, and therefore they have the "right" to be a-holes about who
gets to use "thier" land.

i will take a picture of the sign if i remember next time i pass it.
hamdog

Previous

Return to Snowsports Equipment