Freeheel on alpine boards vs. tele-specific?

The Ski Rack is the discussion area for snowsports gear. See what your fellow readers think about the skis that you're thinking of buying, or get some feedback on the equipment that's right for you.

Freeheel on alpine boards vs. tele-specific?

Postby davidwh_us@yahoo.com » Wed May 02, 2007 7:24 pm

So I just finished my first season with tele gear and loved it. I found some decent skis on e-bay and bought new boots. I'm no tele-god, but I'm getting the hang of it, and next season I may be on tele gear almost all the time (the exception would be on steep, often-icy moguls; I'm an Eastern skier). But the skis are very touring-oriented, nice and light but a little narrow and old-school, especially in powder and spring corn snow, so I'm looking for something a bit beefier and maybe slightly shorter, mainly for in-bounds resort-type skiing. I can't spend a lot, so my question is should I convert some nimble alpine skis I have or go for something made for tele gear? Advantages, disadvantages? Is the softer flex of a tele-specific ski worth it? What would I give up if I convert the alpine ski?
davidwh_us@yahoo.com

re: Freeheel on alpine boards vs. tele-specific?

Postby Harvey44 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:29 am

Bump. I'd like to know more about this too. I've always assumed that tele-specific skis would be lighter and more even flexing. But would love some expert opinions.
Harvey44

Re: Freeheel on alpine boards vs. tele-specific?

Postby Lifty@50 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:41 am

I've skied tele for six years now and have always bought tele skis. I was introduced to tele by my wife's family in WY. I know that many of the locals out there use alpine skies with a tele binding (hardwire) because they pick them up cheap in the local ski swaps, and anyway, they could rip on a fence slat if they had to. There are many tele skis on the market now that will perform as well as a fat apline ski in crud and powder. Keep in mind that with a stiffer ski, you will need a stiffer boot. Rossi makes a tele ski line that is pretty much built on the Bandit serie format, but does not have the mounting plate, and is softer in the middle. I ski on Karhu Jak BC and Kodiaks, depending on the terrain with Garmont Ener-G boots. I find that tele skis are generally cheaper to buy than alpine. One popular alpine ski to put a tele binding on is the Dynastar Legend series (8000, Mythic Rider, Pros). They are a bit heavy, but if you are only ripping lift access, it does not matter.
Lifty@50

Return to Snowsports Equipment