Ski repair in boston area

20thSkier

I'm hoping to draw on the experience of folks here for some advice:

I've managed to take advantage of the recent fabulous (ha!) conditions to experience a new first in my skiing: I've torn a big section of the metal edge of my ski right out.

Supposedly this is repairable, but requires some careful work involving cutting out a big part of the base of the ski and then repairing the edge and then reconstructing the base. Apparently it can be done badly and destroy the ski.

So a question for those in the Boston area: Does anyone know a shop which they really trust for ski repair? I'm not sure that I want to take them into some random place which may not often do the more complicated work.

Thanks for any advice.

20thSkier":20e7j6re said:
I'm hoping to draw on the experience of folks here for some advice:

I've managed to take advantage of the recent fabulous (ha!) conditions to experience a new first in my skiing: I've torn a big section of the metal edge of my ski right out.

Supposedly this is repairable

I'll defer to Bostonians to answer your request, but understand that depending on the ski it may not be repairable. What you're describing is an edge resection and base weld. If it's a ski that depends upon the cap to form the structural integrity of the ski (i.e., Salomon, etc.) rather than a cap for cosmetic purposes, the ski is toast, for the repair will never hold for more than a few runs. I buried my Xscream Series in the back yard after it happened to them. :cry:

Admin":4f0dq00s said:
I'll defer to Bostonians to answer your request, but understand that depending on the ski it may not be repairable. What you're describing is an edge resection and base weld. If it's a ski that depends upon the cap to form the structural integrity of the ski (i.e., Salomon, etc.) rather than a cap for cosmetic purposes, the ski is toast, for the repair will never hold for more than a few runs. I buried my Xscream Series in the back yard after it happened to them. :cry:

Thanks for the warning -- I was actually pretty convinced I'd just acquired a new fencepost when I first saw the damage. But the ski is a rossignol viper S from a few years ago and apparently should be repairable -- at least according to a this guy I know who's some kind of big cheese at rossi and does this kind of thing (but he couldn't do it at his place because that's across the country...long story). But he seemed to think it was a somewhat delicate job...though I have no real idea, pehaps it's not.

As much as it stinks to say this I have a fear that it is simply time to put that board out to pasture. Even if that type of repair is done correctly the ski will never behave quite the same again. I've known a few friends that have done it and none we very happy with the board after the fact.
But hey, I could be wrong.
What is the cost associated with doing that in relation to buying new (or used) boards that you may be happier with. Perhaps this is your opportunity to update to newer equipment/technology.

Back