Snow tires

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Well, after hearing of a friend's fender-bender yesterday afternoon on slick roads near Killington, I finally ordered my snow tires today. They should arrive here tomorrow. <BR> <BR>However, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these things called Green Diamond Tires (<A HREF="http://www.greendiamondtire.com" TARGET="_blank">www.greendiamondtire.com</A>). A North American distributor out of Elmira, NY has licensed this technology from a producer in Iceland. In essence, they retread casings with a rubber that has little bits of carbide molded throughout its entire tread depth. The result is supposed to provide the traction of studded tires, without the following drawbacks to studs: <BR> <BR>1. Noisy ride <BR>2. Studs that fall out <BR>3. Studs that wear down (in Green Diamonds, new carbide bits are exposed as the tread wears) <BR>4. Poor dry road adhesion <BR> <BR>As for non-studded winter tires, such as the Nokian Haakapolita Qs, Green Diamonds should wear much longer than that soft compound like the Qs that is soft enough to grip ice. <BR> <BR>My car is the penultimate summer vehicle, so I need to do something to make it semi-roadworthy in the winter, not to mention that I need to replace the semi-bald summer tires on there now. Some independent reviews that I had found online seemed positive, but the purists didn't like the fact that they are retreads (never mind the fact that retreads on average have a lower failure rate than new tires, because it's usually the casing that fails and the casings in retreads have already proven themselves worthy). They were also half the cost of Nokian Haak 2s, which would have been my choice otherwise. <BR> <BR>Any feedback, anyone? Bueller?

Back