Quiver Expansion

The Ski Rack is the discussion area for snowsports gear. See what your fellow readers think about the skis that you're thinking of buying, or get some feedback on the equipment that's right for you.

Quiver Expansion

Postby salida » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:54 pm

Well well, my quiver got a tad larger over the summer.

The first purchase was a well thought out Dynastar Legend Pro XXL (last years model) in the only size they come in 194 (measure more like 191 though). A large ski measuring 132-109-122 (almost a twin of the Goliath). Should be a blast on an epic east coast day or an average west coast day. Am going to be spending a month in WY in January, and this ski should supplement the quiver nicely. Plan to put solly STH 16's on them.

edit
Last edited by salida on Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
salida

Re: Quiver Expansion

Postby lookn4powder » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:51 pm

salida wrote:Well well, my quiver got a tad larger over the summer..

Also snagged a pair of 197 Katanas with dukes on them. Should be a fun weapon for some real backcountry wilds...

Great score!! I tried to buy Duke's from our local ski shop. They have a bunch on order and other enthusiasts bought their stock before the store opened for the season. I'm on a waiting list now. The shop reports that the Marker has sold out this season's production run already.

Cheers,
Jeff
When encountering a skier, turn. Same goes for a tree.
-2nd Law of Skiing
lookn4powder

Location: Rockville, MD; Avatar: Late Spring descent inside the cirque on Mt. Bachelor.

re: Quiver Expansion

Postby riverc0il » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:39 pm

Holy crap. 197? I haven't skied something that long since 1999 in a 198! You may just never see someone with a wider ski in New England with those suckers. A fine pair of pick ups but damn aren't those two similar enough that you are doubling up a bit?

I am still on the hunt to expand my quiver with a soft snow east coast tree powder ski that is quick to turn, nimble, lively, and energetic. Based on written word, I think I may have found a winner with the Watea 94 but am holding out for a demo (and price reduction!). Karhu BC Jak is also looking promising (I can't help but think I'd rather have 100 than 90 since I am looking for a powder board). Voile Insane looks super nice but the sizing on those puppies takes a HUGE jump from the 170ish legnth to the 180ish length. Just not sure I need a shovel measuring at 140mm. *Sigh* so many skis, so few demos available on the east coast...
--Steve

TheSnowWay.com
"Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs
riverc0il

Postby Admin » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:02 pm

I skied the BC Jaks last year and frankly I couldn't wait to return them. If you like a damp ski you might enjoy them, but I found them to be dead as a doornail.

And Salida...nice scores!

Admin
Site Admin

Postby lookn4powder » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:26 pm

My quiver expansion during the off season was a pair of K2 Mt Bakers, which I picked up for a song. I cannot find much information about them except that they have a couple layers of metal and an 88 mm waist, which seems to be characteristic of skis I've liked in the past. I'm setting them up for randonee service.

Jeff
When encountering a skier, turn. Same goes for a tree.
-2nd Law of Skiing
lookn4powder

Location: Rockville, MD; Avatar: Late Spring descent inside the cirque on Mt. Bachelor.

Re: re: Quiver Expansion

Postby riverc0il » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:00 am

Admin wrote:I skied the BC Jaks last year and frankly I couldn't wait to return them. If you like a damp ski you might enjoy them, but I found them to be dead as a doornail.

Thanks for the heads up on the BC Jaks. I knew the regular Jaks were pretty damn but I had read good things on the BCs. Damp and dead are two things I am looking to avoid at all costs.
--Steve

TheSnowWay.com
"Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs
riverc0il

Re: re: Quiver Expansion

Postby salida » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:54 am

edit

however one is a BC item, the other lift served.

The XXL's with their beefy salomon binders will basically be something I can beat on, and ski at an aggressiveness and not pre-release from.

edit
salida

Return to Snowsports Equipment