Took The Plunge - New Gear

The Ski Rack is the discussion area for snowsports gear. See what your fellow readers think about the skis that you're thinking of buying, or get some feedback on the equipment that's right for you.

Took The Plunge - New Gear

Postby tirolerpeter » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:53 pm

I cracked open the old wallet today and bought a pair of "Black Diamond Verdicts" in the 170cm length. Their dimensions are: 132mm-102mm-118mm and they weigh in at 8lbs 3oz. I am having a pair of "Silvretta Pure" AT bindings mounted on these boards. I need to find a pair of 100mm wide brakes for these skis since the bindings only came with a 90mm set. I also sprung for a pair of "Scarpa T4" AT boots with the thermo liners. I can't wait to play in the snow :D They should be ready to go by the 16th. I also stopped off at Snowbird and picked up my Alta/Bird Season pass. Now I just have to get myself ready to meet the demands of the season.
Think SNOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tirolerpeter

re: Took The Plunge - New Gear

Postby Admin » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:56 pm

Silvretta makes "X-wide" brakes for the Pures - I have them on my Goliaths which are 104mm under foot. And those Verdicts are great skis.

But T4s...I'll confess ignorance regarding Scarpa's line, but aren't those tele boots?

Admin
Site Admin

Postby riverc0il » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:01 pm

Spirit 4 would be the AT boot in Scarpa's line that fits that nomenclature.
--Steve

TheSnowWay.com
"Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs
riverc0il

Postby tirolerpeter » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:06 pm

Correction: "Scarpa Spirit 4" is what I bought.
tirolerpeter

Postby Admin » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:09 pm

Congrats, then! Those binders will likely get most use during the shoulder seasons, but if you're gentle with them they'll be fine on lift-served, too. Pures aren't as durable as Fritschis, but they weigh a hell of a lot less and I've never come closing to breaking either of my pair. And you can likely heat those 90mm brakes with a torch to get them around the Verdicts.

Skins?

Admin
Site Admin

Postby tirolerpeter » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:19 pm

I considered "bending" those babies, but I'm afraid heating them might damage the non-metallic parts. Also, I really don't like the idea of them sticking out at an angle and catching on stuff when I try to walk.

Skins? I simply forgot to buy them. Do you know of any sources/brands, other then what they sell at Black Diamond?
tirolerpeter

Re: re: Took The Plunge - New Gear

Postby Admin » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:26 pm

tirolerpeter wrote:I considered "bending" those babies, but I'm afraid heating them might damage the non-metallic parts. Also, I really don't like the idea of them sticking out at an angle and catching on stuff when I try to walk.

Marc_C can tell you all about that. :wink:

tirolerpeter wrote:Skins? I simply forgot to buy them. Do you know of any sources/brands, other then what they sell at Black Diamond?

Well, if you bought your skis at BDEL they often will sell skins at the same time at a discount. I'm guessing that they'd still let you tack them on. Otherwise, Black Diamond Ascensions are quality, as are G3s -- Bob Dangerous, Skidog and I all have the latter. Whatever brand you buy, get a pair with a tail kit.

As far as local sources for skins, there's BDEL, Wasatch Touring (SLC), White Pine Touring (PC), REI (SLC and Sandy) and Backcountry.com (West Valley). Not sure about Level 9 (Sugar House).

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:37 pm

I just bought a pair of Salomon X-Wing Fury's in a 184 on Saturday.

I got boots last March... Head World Cup shells shot with some leftover Head/San Marco silicon liners. Custom footbeds and Hotronics heaters. I got 250 days out of that liner the last time before the shells failed.

I bought some Arc'Teryx Gore XCR shell pants on eBay a few weeks ago.
Geoff

Postby jasoncapecod » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:06 pm

i picked up a pair of Dynastar 8000 178.. coming off a pair of vokl 6 168's .. should be nice change
jasoncapecod

Return to Snowsports Equipment