End of Season??? Time for New Skis??

The Ski Rack is the discussion area for snowsports gear. See what your fellow readers think about the skis that you're thinking of buying, or get some feedback on the equipment that's right for you.

re: Who's in this week?

Postby Harvey44 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:01 am

Wow...lots of great input.

I like the dimensions of the Havoc, but I think its a twin tip. There are so many twins out there, but as has been noted elsewhere the halfpipes seem abandoned. It feels more like a fashion statement than an improvement. How many are on twins...and how many are skiing the parks?

I agree with Riv that 80mm is serviceable up to 12" of untracked. I think I only skied deeper than that a few times this season. And if I went to "foofy land" I might bring my boots and rent skis.

So I'm slowly figuring this out... what are the choices that are:

Tele/AT
85-93 mm
single tip
snappier than K2s?

Anyone ever skied an atomic RT86? Opinions?

Also...I'm on T2s... do I need a T2X in that range or do I need T1s?

Going to 93s and T1s...bet I would have to make quite an adjustment the first few days if I did that.

Again TIA.

PS - might be kinda fun to just rename this "The Hijacked Thread."

8)
Harvey44

re: Who's in this week?

Postby icelanticskier » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:38 pm

harv!
don't be mislead into thinking that a twin tip ski is just for terrain parks, halfpipes and stuff. i ride twins and never ski in a pipe or go switch for that matter. compared to a trad or flat tail, a twin releases from a turn much nicer and naturally cuz as you decamber the ski from tip to tail through out the turn, an upturned tail just helps the release from the turn cuz it's curved up for you completing the decambered bend verses a flat ski that will bend to a point but, then stops with less of a fluid, natural arc out of a turn. big plus! the twin also allows easier maneuverability into tight spots like brook beds when you may need rock forward up a transition and back to re-set up for the next turn.
fear not twins.
the rt 86 is a great ski btw, one of my trad faves. soft, even flex, great shape and atomics famous liveliness. fine w/ a t2
rog
icelanticskier

Re: re: Who's in this week?

Postby Admin » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:35 pm

Harvey44 wrote:So I'm slowly figuring this out... what are the choices that are:

Tele/AT
85-93 mm
single tip
snappier than K2s?

G3 Reverend.

Harvey44 wrote:Going to 93s and T1s...bet I would have to make quite an adjustment the first few days if I did that.

Not really. Definitely lots les than you'd think.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Marc_C » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:23 pm

Admin wrote:My only complaint about the Revs is that especially mounted with the lightweight Silvretta Pures, they're such a light kit that chunky snow deflects them readily. I'd hate to see what happens to them in eastern death cookies.

Ski the ungroomed at Alta tomorrow and find out! :twisted:
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Harvey44 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:25 am

icelanticskier wrote:harv!...a twin releases from a turn much nicer and naturally cuz as you decamber the ski from tip to tail through out the turn, an upturned tail just helps the release from the turn cuz it's curved up for you completing the decambered bend verses a flat ski that will bend to a point but, then stops with less of a fluid, natural arc out of a turn. big plus! the twin also allows easier maneuverability into tight spots like brook beds when you may need rock forward up a transition and back to re-set up for the next turn.

Well that all sounds good. Anyone...what is the downside to a twin? I assume that there must be a trade off...or all skis would be twintips.
Harvey44

Postby icelanticskier » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:02 pm

Harvey44 wrote:
icelanticskier wrote:harv!...a twin releases from a turn much nicer and naturally cuz as you decamber the ski from tip to tail through out the turn, an upturned tail just helps the release from the turn cuz it's curved up for you completing the decambered bend verses a flat ski that will bend to a point but, then stops with less of a fluid, natural arc out of a turn. big plus! the twin also allows easier maneuverability into tight spots like brook beds when you may need rock forward up a transition and back to re-set up for the next turn.

Well that all sounds good. Anyone...what is the downside to a twin? I assume that there must be a trade off...or all skis would be twintips.

downside of twins? just old school narrow mindedness my friend. skiings fun and twins have made my skiing more fun and they sure don't seem to be making any less of em.
rog
icelanticskier

re: End of Season??? Time for New Skis??

Postby EMSC » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:55 pm

what is the downside to a twin? I assume that there must be a trade off...or all skis would be twintips.

Well sometimes they spray snow up into the faces of people behind you which can be annoying to them...

Most rec skis are based on racing designs that are watered down. And racers definitely do not want an upturned soft spot at the tail... Thus most skis are not twin tips. Most rec skiers will be just fine on a twin tip and may even prefer it for the reasons icelanticskier mentions.

Not that anyone on a thread like this one would care, but my entire quiver is race stock skis and I have no real problems in powder.In fact I prefer to be knee or waist deep and not float out of it on a 'fat' ski. But that's just my preference - most will like the 'fat' ski by quite a margin.
EMSC

re: End of Season??? Time for New Skis??

Postby Harvey44 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:04 am

Would still like to hear some dissenting views on the TT, just to hear both sides.

Here's something I found:

http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewt ... sc&start=0
Harvey44

Previous

Return to Snowsports Equipment