End of Season??? Time for New Skis??

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
I put away the equipment last weekend, but I kept the flame burning yesterday by buying the wife fat skis on ebay for her upcoming birthday: 2006-07 Rossi B4s still in the plastic. I took the bindings off an old pair of skis (that will be part of an Adirondack ski chair I'm building on Sunday) and will have them mounted next week so they'll be all ready for the big unveiling on May 2.

Oh, I just got back from playing my first round of golf this season -- and I was crushing the ball 8) -- I guess it really is over for this ECer.

jamesdeluxe":yg07yckt said:
I put away the equipment last weekend, but I kept the flame burning yesterday by buying the wife fat skis on ebay for her upcoming birthday: 2006-07 Rossi B4s still in the plastic. I took the bindings off an old pair of skis (that will be part of an Adirondack ski chair I'm building on Sunday) and will have them mounted next week so they'll be all ready for the big unveiling on May 2.
I had a pair of those I just sent back this year. Got done with a run and had to walk a bit to get back. When I took them off and put them together one was bent. I don't even recall hitting anything. That's fourth pair of Rossi's that have broke on me. The other 3 completely. I'm done with them.

Harvey44":ooht2qmy said:
Golf is for those too old to ski. :wink:

Where I grew up, skiing was for the rich kids. The rest of us played hockey. I've been flogging for 37 years, skiing for seven.

Thems the facts, jack.

skimore":ooht2qmy said:
That's fourth pair of Rossi's that have broke on me. The other 3 completely. I'm done with them.

I've heard that before (kinda like the Marker early release problem), but something tells me my wife is not quite as aggressive a skier as you.

jamesdeluxe":2pd7086f said:
Where I grew up, skiing was for the rich kids. The rest of us played hockey. I've been flogging for 37 years, skiing for seven.

ONLY 7 years, wow!!! I'm impressed by your dedication. =D>

jamesdeluxe":2pd7086f said:
skimore":2pd7086f said:
That's fourth pair of Rossi's that have broke on me. The other 3 completely. I'm done with them.

I've heard that before (kinda like the Marker early release problem), but something tells me my wife is not quite as aggressive a skier as you.

I loved Rossignol from the mid 80s to early 90s and I learn to love them again a few years ago. Granted, not everyone like those skis, but I love them.

Patrick":2ryrrb58 said:
I loved Rossignol from the mid 80s to early 90s and I learn to love them again a few years ago. Granted, not everyone like those skis, but I love them.

That's right, Patrick skis his B1s 50+ days a year with no complaints.

For the record, this purchase is our first venture outside the world of the "full metal jacket" ski. Yes, wifey and I are Volant hackers. Besides, I'm not good enough to distinguish the difference between specific ski brands.

jamesdeluxe":3vyj5us0 said:
Harvey44":3vyj5us0 said:
Where I grew up, skiing was for the rich kids. The rest of us played hockey.

Skiing was $$$ when I was a kid too. Times change though. For what it costs my son to play hockey, I can get annual passes for 3 of us at Tremblant, and cover weekly gas; or explore Quebec City and the Northeast US hills every week or two. I've offered up that alternative for 5 years but he loves to play though and isn't biting.

jamesdeluxe":snhh9m7h said:
That's right, Patrick skis his B1s 50+ days a year with no complaints.

Not close to 50/year. more like 20-25 times. :shock: Other skis are some Atomic race skis (GS & Slalom) and the Rossi B3s.

Well, the B1 aren't the greatest, but are fun to ski if you don't need a high performance ski.

Yes, wifey and I are Volant hackers.
Is that what they call us? 188cm Power Ti was my everyday ski from 1999 through January 2007, and remains my backup ski. The 180cm Chubb has been used for nearly all powder days since 1997, but will probably be confined to Baldy in the future since I bought the demo Mantras at Alta last February.

Besides, I'm not good enough to distinguish the difference between specific ski brands.
I strongly disagree with this statement. Some skis work better for certain styles of skier, the polarized opinion about Volants being an excellent example. It's the Patricks of the world who can get on any old ski in a variety of conditions and still make them work well.

who can get on any old ski in a variety of conditions and still make them work well.

Maybe, but there definitely ones that even if you can make them turn, you don't want to be skiing on for your style.

Quote:
Besides, I'm not good enough to distinguish the difference between specific ski brands.
I strongly disagree with this statement.

Tony is correct for nearly all but beginners. FWIW, at a certain level and frequency of skiing you can start to tell the difference in what binding is on what ski, whether the binding is mounted properly for CG (center of gravity), etc...

EMSC":33hb6cxv said:
Tony is correct for nearly all but beginners.

The fact that my wife could tell a difference between skis she demoed last week confirms Tony's assertion. She's a low intermediate. And it wasn't personal bias, either -- the ones that she wanted to like, she didn't.

Admin":39nucwst said:
The fact that my wife could tell a difference between skis she demoed last week confirms Tony's assertion.

Sorry, poor communication. I meant to say that I can't do a blind taste test and tell you "those are too stiff, those are noodly, those are too damp, etc."... it's more along the lines of "I like those, I don't like those."

As for the Volant Hackers line, sorry... I had my TGR hat on. They'd call you a fairy for skiing any Volants other than a Spatula. If I were doing lots of earned turns, I'd obviously not want to bring the full metal jackets, as they aren't exactly light.

Below is a pic -- I may have posted it before -- of our skis circa Nov 2006. This will only mean something to a Volant connaisseur like Tony, but I've since sold the 185 Machetes (too long for me). My main skis for the past two seasons have been the V2 Chubbs for powder, the Gravitys for on-piste, and the older Chubbs for in between. My wife's are the 150 Vertexes. The three older pairs (Power Ls, Powers, and SuperTis) will be hack-sawed this weekend into a chair.

Apologies to Harvey44 for hijacking his thread. Feel free to break this stuff out in the general forum.

Attachments

• Picture%20029.jpg
    Picture%20029.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 14,245
jamesdeluxe":3mv6a7i5 said:
Apologies to Harvey44 for hijacking his thread.

Hey I'm just proud to have fathered a thread that made it to two pages. I can't remember ever getting more than four responses.

James - I assume you'll post a pic of this much heralded accoutrement de la vie de luxe, when it is complete.

Along the lines of this hijack - if anyone can connect me with someone who really knows teleboards, I'm looking for a new pair with more float and snap. Tele demos are hard to come by.

I'll perpetuate the hijack.

You're skiing at the wrong places, then. Alta, for example, has two tele/AT demo days annually (Dec. & Apr.) and the Alta Ski Shop has a wide assortment of demos mounted tele and AT. I'm skiing many of the same skis you are, for tele-specific and AT-specific skis are usually one and the same and I, too, gravitate toward snappier skis. Look at the G3 Reverend or, for a narrower waist on groomers, the Barron or Ticket. I like the Black Diamond Verdict for a powder skis, or the Havoc for groomers.

Harvey,

I believe there are maybe 1-2 tele demo days at Mad, which is a shorter drive than Alta.

Admin":2ell3er5 said:
You're skiing at the wrong places, then. Alta, for example, has two tele/AT demo days annually (Dec. & Apr.) and the Alta Ski Shop has a wide assortment of demos mounted tele and AT. I'm skiing many of the same skis you are, for tele-specific and AT-specific skis are usually one and the same and I, too, gravitate toward snappier skis. Look at the G3 Reverend or, for a narrower waist on groomers, the Barron or Ticket. I like the Black Diamond Verdict for a powder skis, or the Havoc for groomers.

I know tele demos are out there. Gore had 4 demos this year. 3 were alpine on Fridays and Saturdays. The tele demo was on a Tuesday (I think) with very little notice. As MadPat said ...Mad would be a logical choice. And I should get there for religious reasons too. :wink:

I really like the idea of only using one ski for a lot of reasons. I probably own 6 or 8 pairs but only use two...one for lift service, and longer skinny skis for backcountry/camping.

I'm currently on World Pistes (80mm) and would like to go fatter...not sure if the Reverend (93mm) would be too much of a jump. Last season I went from snappy 70mm skis (TM22s) to the WPs... and it did change everything - basically got me out of the intermediate zone, or at least the intermediate terrain.

I'd like just a bit more float and the snap to have some fun on groomers. Also...don't want any twin tips. I never go backwards and to me Twins are just added weight without the full benefits of extra length.

I have some G3 bindings and they are good solid gear for sure. I may take a flyer on the Revs and see what happens. Any more input is welcome.

more sidecut harv! icelantic pilgrim 127 in the tip and 90 underfoot. they'll turn for ya and give the, nothing else can compare-ride. the reverend is a damp, wet, minimal performance ski like the k2. got my girl on some of next years icelantic nomad 156 cm 140-105-130 and one turn was all it took to make her want to sell those mantras she's been ridin. watching her ski those nomads made me jealous at her immediate increase in rippabilities.
rog

It's tough to find a do-everything ski, hence the reason that most serious skiers have at least a small quiver. FYI the Reverends are my every day, bread-and-butter ski. They're fun on groomers, at least the western variety, and can still handle powder even though I prefer my Movement Goliaths for the deep untracked. My only complaint about the Revs is that especially mounted with the lightweight Silvretta Pures, they're such a light kit that chunky snow deflects them readily. I'd hate to see what happens to them in eastern death cookies.

and some serious skiers prefer to ride one ski for all conditions with an emphasis on the snow surfaces in which they frequent and like best so that they can fully understand and learn to ski that one ski in all conditions well.
i don't spend much time on firm snow and like a wide ski with a bunch of sidecut that still rips the groomed or hardpack. the nomad 140-105-130 does all things well for me all of the time.
it is really nice to never have to decide which ski to take out on the hill and much more affordable to have a one ski quiver.
rog

I was thinking about trying out a pair of verdicts this season but never got around to it. My nordica's hold their own pretty well, but a powder specific ski might be fun, especially if it is good in tight turning areas.

i sell bd skis and have spent time on em all. the verdict as all bd skis are on the stiff side and have limited sidecut. they are damp and stable but, not the most versatile or turny ski out of the line. my fave bd ski for all round performance is definitly the havoc. 123-88. not as much shape as i like but, poppy, performy little devils.
rog

Back