good intermmediate all mountains - any suggestions?

aaron12345

I'm 5' 7, 16, and 130 lbs. I went to the local ski shop which recommended k2 escape 5500 and volkl energy 380. I'm looking for something that will mostly be used on the east coast, but won't kill my dreams of getting out west sometime within the next few years. Also I'm looking for something lowishly priced, but that I won't grow out of in skill level anytime soon (I can do pretty much all the double blacks in VA and West VA, but that's not saying much). I was also recommended the Nordica Beast 10 boots (I tried them on and they fit about perfect). I'm looking at alot of last years models to save a few buck (seems like a good idea, what do you think?). As this is my first time buying and I've been using my freinds old boots and rentals for the past 5 years I don't have much experience but I'm tired of rentals sub par performance and having to fly past the signs on the slopes that say no rentals. What other models from other companies are comprable that I should consider? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

aaron12345":2q4ivn77 said:
I'm 5' 7, 16, and 130 lbs.

Except for the 16 part, we're of similar specs. I've got just a few years on you. (Well, to be honest, more years than I'd care to admit. Aah, to be 16 again, skiing first chair to last chair with nary a rest break in between. Oh, well, back to the reality of my aging bones.)

I'm looking for something that will mostly be used on the east coast, but won't kill my dreams of getting out west sometime within the next few years. Also I'm looking for something lowishly priced, but that I won't grow out of in skill level anytime soon (I can do pretty much all the double blacks in VA and West VA, but that's not saying much).

I'll let others with more specific brand/model recommendations speak up, as it's not my forté. However, I would suggest reconsidering your "intermediate" thought. It's hard for me to tell from the descriptions of the slopes you're able to descend, for I don't know if you're descending in fine form, or if you're flailing. Can you link parallel turns on any groomed slope, or do you occasionally find yourself stemming turns? Do you feel like you primarily carve your turns, or skid them? If your answers to those two questions are the former option, and not the latter choice, then I'd recommend aiming for an advanced or "soft expert" all-mountain ski. Look for something with waist demensions in the high 60 millimeters and a shovel and tail around 100mm, for that's a true "all-mountain" mid-fat that will carry you through most snow conditions with ease, from hardpack to powder. Anything narrower in the waist will handle ice with more aplomb and will be quicker edge to edge, and anything wider will be more at home in loose snow and less comfortable to ski on hardpack.

I'm looking at alot of last years models to save a few buck (seems like a good idea, what do you think?).

Absolutely. Any differences between last season's gear and this season's are likely to be more cosmetic than anything else. If you can save a good chunk of dough by picking up last season's leftovers, go for it.

I'm tired of ... having to fly past the signs on the slopes that say no rentals.

:shock: Am I misunderstanding you, or are you saying that there are slopes in the Mid-Atlantic where rental equipment is prohibited?? If so, I'm, well,... :shock:

No problems with parallel turns. I'm generally carve my turns, but like most people could improve (especially on ice). I also like to play in the terrain park everyonce in a while, but definatly not a primary use. I'm pretty confident on moguls and bumps too.

aaron12345":3oeikxcz said:
No problems with parallel turns. I'm generally carve my turns, but like most people could improve (especially on ice). I also like to play in the terrain park everyonce in a while, but definatly not a primary use. I'm pretty confident on moguls and bumps too.

Then go straight to a "soft expert" or "detuned expert" ski.

I agree with Marc...from what you have said you should be looking at an expert all-mountain ski. Skiing is one of those sports where poor equipment choices will definitely affect your skiing. You want a ski that will provide enough performance to help you make breakthroughs, not hold you back. As for specific models, I tell anyone who asks that you really do need to demo equipment before buying. I'm sure that one of your local mountains sponsors a demo weekend. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE OPPORTUNITY!!!

Thanks for all the help! When I asked about the K2 escapes turns out there kind of in between intermmediate and advanced after doing more online looking. What do you guys think about these skis for $150:
K2 Escape 5500 Skis in great condition with Marker M5.2 Bindings, also in excellent condition. The skis have a few blems/ scratches on the top, none to speak of on the bottom. They measure 107/68/97 tip/waist/tail. These are awesome skis with fir/spruce core, 17mm sidecut, and intended for intermediate/advanced all mountain performance. I haven't demoed this exact model, but my friend had the 3500s and I tried those last year and liked them. The problem with demoing is the closest mountains 2.5 hrs away, and I'm trying to get things now while it's still cheap before prices go up.

For ski boots I think I'm deffinatly going with Noridca Beast 10s if there are no objections.

aaron, that sounds like a c.a. Y2K detuned-GS sidecut. Compare it to a Volkl p40 Platinum (IMO a better ski).

I would have expected to hear you snap up something with a 74 mm waist or thereabouts, 72mm at least.

aaron12345":3vgxgicv said:
Thanks for all the help! When I asked about the K2 escapes turns out there kind of in between intermmediate and advanced after doing more online looking. What do you guys think about these skis for $150:
K2 Escape 5500 Skis in great condition with Marker M5.2 Bindings, also in excellent condition. The skis have a few blems/ scratches on the top, none to speak of on the bottom. They measure 107/68/97 tip/waist/tail. These are awesome skis with fir/spruce core, 17mm sidecut, and intended for intermediate/advanced all mountain performance. I haven't demoed this exact model, but my friend had the 3500s and I tried those last year and liked them. The problem with demoing is the closest mountains 2.5 hrs away, and I'm trying to get things now while it's still cheap before prices go up.

For ski boots I think I'm deffinatly going with Noridca Beast 10s if there are no objections.

Those skis sound fine if you get them in an appropriate length. Probably 165-175cm or so for you. If you want to stay with K2 and you have the opportunity to move up for minimum dosh, something from the Axis series would be a step up. For boots, the most important thing is how they fit, and the second most important thing is they being an appropriate flex for your weight and ability level. Brand is a completely tertiary concern, Even if the Beast 10's fit you properly, at your weight they may be too stiff for you which will tend to force you into skiing with your weight too far back for good control.

cantunamunch":1oe76mok said:
aaron, that sounds like a c.a. Y2K detuned-GS sidecut. Compare it to a Volkl p40 Platinum (IMO a better ski).
having skied the p40 plat for a few years, i'm not convinced that's the type of ski he's looking for. p40 plat is a solid ski that takes a lot to flex and isn't too forgiving if you let up on it. worked out well for me because i'm a big guy and ski with a lot of force, too much at times i find. if you want to look at volkls' (a great ski), take a look at whatever the next all mountain expert ski is one step down from the pX0, i'm unsure of specific skis...

riverc0il, my comment was more directed at terrain suitability; I really don't want to ski a p40 or anything remotely that thin in the waist in trees or in any more than 4-6" of fresh.

Funny, isn't it, how skiers almost don't notice these little sidecut "fashion changes" like from almost-AME GS (Y2K) to current cross/midfat with thicker waists.

I originally read aaron's request to read more like something in the current crop of mids, e.g. Elan M555 or K2 Axis (mentioned above) or even an Odyssey (new for $229?), or, if he's swap shopping (aaron, you know there's one tomorrow Sunday?) a Volkl 724 AX2, or a Rossi B2 or a Volkl Vertigo G2 . I mentioned the p40Pt because it has a sidecut very like the K2 above and almost everyone has at least looked at them.

I ended up getting the k2 escape 5500 (170mm length), because most of my skiing will be done at wintergreen (a rich freind has a house there and I'll probably go with him most weekends) so that means I won't be seeing much powder or tress and I don't really need the extra thickness. the other deciding factor was the skis and bindings were $50 bucks (used for a year, perfect condition). so if they end up sucking, not the end of the world. ebay does wonders :)

Back