new and would like some equipment suggestions

chriski83

hi,
i'm chris, a recreational skier and i don't get to ski as often as i'd like. i'm a midwest to northwest skier, so i'm looking to upgrade some of my equipment (boots, pants, skis... etc) for the new year. anyone have any good recommendations?

chriski83":10gx0itd said:
hi,
i'm chris, a recreational skier and i don't get to ski as often as i'd like. i'm a midwest to northwest skier, so i'm looking to upgrade some of my equipment (boots, pants, skis... etc) for the new year. anyone have any good recommendations?

Welcome to FTO Liftlines, Chris. Give us some more info: ability? type of terrain preferred? style of skiing preferred? more time in the Midwest or Northwest? male or female?

Hi...well here goes..opinion not to be taken as "etched in stone gospel"!;-),
Start with boots. Go by foot volume..go for a really snug fit...the liners usually will pack out(ie expand) after a month(or often less) of wkend skiing. Best to do the shell-fit, where bootguy takes the liners out and you stand in the shell..any boot over 1.5 finger-widths of space in back of heel when toes are just touching front = too large a size. Main areas for being snug are in heel pocket and in cuff...down shin to over and around your ankle. Used skis can be fine, but boots are your dancing shoes.... Much easier to expand/make room...pretty next to impossible to fill-in space of a too-large a boot.

$.01...
STeveD

BigSpencer":2n116hfu said:

Any advice from our resident gear slut is gospel. :wink:

BigSpencer":1ohz0jb5 said:
Start with boots. Go by foot volume..go for a really snug fit...the liners usually will pack out(ie expand) after a month(or often less) of wkend skiing. Best to do the shell-fit, where bootguy takes the liners out and you stand in the shell..any boot over 1.5 finger-widths of space in back of heel when toes are just touching front = too large a size. Main areas for being snug are in heel pocket and in cuff...down shin to over and around your ankle. Used skis can be fine, but boots are your dancing shoes.... Much easier to expand/make room...pretty next to impossible to fill-in space of a too-large a boot.

$.01...
STeveD
Wow, thanks for the in depth post on boots. That's more information than I've gotten before, but then again I bought boots that felt well, not custom fit to me. I'll make sure next time to get some help from a bootguy.

Admin":1ohz0jb5 said:
chriski83":1ohz0jb5 said:
hi,

Welcome to FTO Liftlines, Chris. Give us some more info: ability? type of terrain preferred? style of skiing preferred? more time in the Midwest or Northwest? male or female?

Thanks for the warm welcome :) I'm male, and I ski more in the northwest when I do get to go. In regards to ability I never rated myself, but I guess you could say that I'm amateur.

i'm a midwest to northwest skier
The reason for the inquiry is that's a somewhat unusual combination. Most of us define "Northwest" as Washington, Oregon and coastal B.C. With the conspicuous exception of Whistler, those areas don't get a lot of destination vs. regional skiers (even Whistler is only 50% destination). By observation I find the average ski ability in the Northwest to be the highest in North America due to the wide range or terrain and snow conditions.

So maybe the question should have been narrowed down a bit more to: What areas do you ski and enjoy the most?

...;-);-),
I ramble a lot when not out in a snowstorm!

Boots....AND Footbeds! Footbeds can work wonders, not only for your skiing...but for a snug-fitting boot, especially if your feet splay outward a bit when standing or are prone to rolling..or pronate/supinate. They'll help your skiing a ton...
$.01

BigSpencer":j2avcbxz said:
...;-);-),
I ramble a lot when not out in a snowstorm!

Boots....AND Footbeds! Footbeds can work wonders, not only for your skiing...but for a snug-fitting boot, especially if your feet splay outward a bit when standing or are prone to rolling..or pronate/supinate. They'll help your skiing a ton...
$.01

Footbeds are a must! Don't skimp on your boots.

I am definately not an expert.....but, my opinion is....get a great fitting boot...using someone who knows what they are talking about, ski on it a few times with your existing equipment to get used to the new boot, then Demo skis. That is the way I decided on my last pair of skis, and I couldn't have been happier. Be sure to demo more than one brand of skis, and you may want to do a little reading to know what you want to try out before you get there to give you a better starting point.

Have a great ski season!

Back