Skis made in China?!?!?!

The Ski Rack is the discussion area for snowsports gear. See what your fellow readers think about the skis that you're thinking of buying, or get some feedback on the equipment that's right for you.

Re: Skis made in China?!?!?!

Postby Sasparilla » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Sharon wrote::x

oh well, what can ya do

:cry:

I just wanted to thank the poster's on this line for putting up those answers, I was resigning myself to the fact that you couldn't get skis made here in the US and for the most part, having to send your money to China, but it looks like that's not the case - which makes me very happy, just having that option. Made my day brighter just knowing that (we still make stuff here!).

As best as I could tell, it seems like Fischer makes all of theirs in Europe still (seems like they have a plant in Austria & in Ukraine) if you'd rather have your money go to Europe (as opposed to China), but need to get something less expensive than the current US made boards. Just my $0.02.
Sasparilla

Postby rfarren » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:24 pm

Icelantics are made in Colorado.
Rob
rfarren

Postby Marc_C » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:34 pm

rfarren wrote:Icelantics are made in Colorado.

But you'd have to put up with the crappy fanboy mystical fantasy graphics.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby rfarren » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Marc_C wrote:
rfarren wrote:Icelantics are made in Colorado.

But you'd have to put up with the crappy fanboy mystical fantasy graphics.

I don't buy skis for the way they look. My cousin just bought the nomads and said they were amazing in the pow.
Rob
rfarren

Postby Marc_C » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:29 am

rfarren wrote:I don't buy skis for the way they look. My cousin just bought the nomads and said they were amazing in the pow.

There are an astounding number of other skis that are also "amazing in the pow" that don't look like $h*t.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby tirolerpeter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:26 am

Marc_C wrote:
rfarren wrote:I don't buy skis for the way they look. My cousin just bought the nomads and said they were amazing in the pow.

There are an astounding number of other skis that are also "amazing in the pow" that don't look like $h*t.

Like my Salomon Czars :-)
Think SNOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tirolerpeter

Postby rfarren » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:48 am

Marc_C wrote:

There are an astounding number of skiers that are better looking than you, but I'd still ski with you. :wink: :lol:

Honestly though, if they are ugly you don't have to worry as much about them being stolen.
Rob
rfarren

Postby Marc_C » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:07 am

rfarren wrote:
Marc_C wrote:

There are an astounding number of skiers that are better looking than you, but I'd still ski with you. :wink: :lol:

HA! Yes, there certainly are!

rfarren wrote:Honestly though, if they are ugly you don't have to worry as much about them being stolen.

Actually, looking at their 09/10 line, Icelantic has definitely toned things down a bit and went in a more subtle direction. Prior years though have looked like they used the covers of fantasy comics as their primary inspiration and source of emulation. They've also gone away from that goofy shaped tip ('cept for the Shaman).
-marc
Marc_C

Postby rfarren » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:12 am

My cousin loves his nomads. He said there are no skis he would rather use in soft snow conditions in tight lines. He doesn't like them at all on the firmer stuff though. He got a very good deal because they are a client of his. He also got a tour of the factory. I'll tell him that you don't like their graphics, and perhaps he'll pass the message on.
Rob
rfarren

Postby Marc_C » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:48 am

rfarren wrote:I'll tell him that you don't like their graphics, and perhaps he'll pass the message on.

Like I said, they've gotten a lot better, and they have a very good eye for color, with one of the more pleasing palettes in the industry. Maybe a bit too heavy on the dead fish motif in the current line-up.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Tony Crocker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:09 pm

Speaking of graphics:
FYI I was told by the reps at Head when I ordered the Jimis as my NASJA award that they are made in Austria. Thus the retail price of $1,075 flat.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby joshsalvo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:29 pm

I know that this thread is dead, however I wanted to add a few thoughts in case anyone stumbles upon this thread again. theirs an e-commerce site called http://www.myskiprofile.com/ that only sells high quality American made skis and snowboards. If your in the market for new skis/snowboard check them out. I think they currently work with 7 different manufactures that build their products in Colorado, Utah and places like that. I recently bought a pair of SCC Fanny Hooe's from myskiprofile and there awesome. I'll never go back to the mainstream brands that mass produce their skis in countries like china.
joshsalvo

Previous

Return to Snowsports Equipment