Boot fitter - UK?

The Ski Rack is the discussion area for snowsports gear. See what your fellow readers think about the skis that you're thinking of buying, or get some feedback on the equipment that's right for you.

Boot fitter - UK?

Postby HeadAddict » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:00 am

I'm in desperate need of a new pair of boots and need to see a fitter. Any suggestions for anyone in the UK? Things are looking bleak and I might have to get them on my next trip to the hills, but I would prefer someone local for future adjustments, etc. Thanks!!
HeadAddict

Re: Boot fitter - UK?

Postby rfarren » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:19 pm

Perhaps the British Ski Club website has suggestions.
Rob
rfarren

Postby HeadAddict » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:17 pm

rfarren wrote:Perhaps the British Ski Club website has suggestions.

Decent idea and I appreciate the advice, however they seem to think its still OK to charge for any sort of basic info like that (not to mention their website hasn't been updated by anyone qualified to do so in the last 5 years). ;) I was able to find a couple of shops in London who seem to be decent, but the idea of traveling to central London every time I need my boots tweeked seems a bit of a hassle. Am I asking too much...?
HeadAddict

Postby Admin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Honestly, having it done where you most regularly ski, if there is such a destination, is probably the best advice. That way you can have them tweaked, take a few runs to test them out, then run back in and get them fine-tuned if need be.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeadAddict » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:54 pm

I've thought of what my "local" mountain might be now as well, and I'm left with any number of them. I'm kicking myself for not getting into some new boots when I was in Whistler in May, but France or Austria might be next on my list so you can see I'm literally all over the map. I might also be in the Northeast US in December, but again it's the local thing that keeps nagging me. I might be stuck just adjusting them as I go, wherever I go considering I live on a large island (UK) without much in the way of professional ski infrastructure.
HeadAddict

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:53 pm

Admin's advice is sound. Competence of bootfitters is generally higher in the resorts.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby rfarren » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:06 pm

I have a pair of surefoots, but my foot is perfect for a lange anyways. They have stores all over. There is one here in NYC, there's one in Vail, Whistler, Park City, etc... If they have one in London, it may be worth your while to stop by and ask questions. Make sure you really talk to them in depth, and then decide if that type of boot is appropriate for your foot. The one advantage of their product is that they will tweak your boot for free for the life of the boot.
Rob
rfarren

Return to Snowsports Equipment