Volkl AC50 in Powder?

The Ski Rack is the discussion area for snowsports gear. See what your fellow readers think about the skis that you're thinking of buying, or get some feedback on the equipment that's right for you.

Re: Volkl AC50 in Powder?

Postby Tony Crocker » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:48 am

Not gone to argue with ice's personal preferences, BUT his fitness and ability level are likely far above the average even for FTO, not to mention inquiries coming from St. Louis. The vast majority of skiers will find life is easier with at least 2 pair of skis.
i love sidecut and a lot of it for everything including pow and steeps.

Also personal preference. Recall from other threads that I have the late Shane McConkey on my side in this debate.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Bluebird Day » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:32 pm

I remember the old? Volkl Snow Ranger. That was considered the radical powder ski of the times (1990's). Now, anything under 100mm is considered a fence slat. I watched a great ski film-doc called Steep a few weeks ago and noted that some of the skiers featured in the film where skiing on skinny GS skis and Salomon rear entries and thought "how would these guys have skied that line on a pair of Dynastar Pro XXLs, etc.?". It's kind of like saying, "how would Ben Hogan play golf now with an oversized driver and perimeter weighted clubs?" What's the industry going to throw at us next? :brick:
Bluebird Day

Postby Acidchrist » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:35 pm

It's not all about dimensions as admin said. Flex and camber really come into play, especially with the ac50. The 50 is a STIFF ski. lots of centrifugal force or just sheer weight needs to be applied to "decamber" that ski. When a ski is cambered, the tip and tail point DOWN, hence the submarine effect. It's easy to decamber that stiff ski on hard pack by simply laying'em over and skiing fast. That's why pow skis TYPICALLY are softer; they get in that decambered position quickly and easily. Sooooo, you can have a RELATIVELY fat or fatter ski like the Dynastar LP, which is around 100mm underfoot in fact behave like a submarine. Hey, it's a STIFF ski. A "real" volkl explosive (not the CMH type) will do the same thing...
Acidchrist

Location: Park City/Ithaca NY-avatar from 9990 Patrol, The Canyons, Utah

Postby Admin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:38 pm

Acidchrist wrote:A "real" volkl explosive (not the CMH type) will do the same thing...

Despite the Explosiv label, the CMH edition was disguised Mantra prototype.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby pkerr » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:36 am

Acidchrist wrote:It's not all about dimensions as admin said. Flex and camber really come into play, especially with the ac50. The 50 is a STIFF ski. lots of centrifugal force or just sheer weight needs to be applied to "decamber" that ski. When a ski is cambered, the tip and tail point DOWN, hence the submarine effect. It's easy to decamber that stiff ski on hard pack by simply laying'em over and skiing fast. That's why pow skis TYPICALLY are softer; they get in that decambered position quickly and easily. Sooooo, you can have a RELATIVELY fat or fatter ski like the Dynastar LP, which is around 100mm underfoot in fact behave like a submarine. Hey, it's a STIFF ski. A "real" volkl explosive (not the CMH type) will do the same thing...

Ahhhh.... much more clearer now as to why it's not JUST width.
Thanks!
First On Last Off
pkerr

Postby Acidchrist » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:43 am

Glad that helped. That was my first (and probably last) reasonable post to this forum...you caught me in a fleeting moment of clarity. Admin can attest to this...
Acidchrist

Location: Park City/Ithaca NY-avatar from 9990 Patrol, The Canyons, Utah

Postby pkerr » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:55 am

Acidchrist wrote:Glad that helped. That was my first (and probably last) reasonable post to this forum...you caught me in a fleeting moment of clarity. Admin can attest to this...

I can tell from your avatar! Have a GREAT winter!
First On Last Off
pkerr

Previous

Return to Snowsports Equipment