First Skis

dougolear

Looking to buy my first skis. I am 39, 6 ft 170 pounds. A quick learner, athletic. I have skied for two years now and really enjoy it, but I feel my progress stilted with bad rental gear. I ski mostly in NY, Vermont on the groomed trails, green, blue and starting on the black.

I have a good deal on a pair of Volki 2004 4 star supersport skis w/motion 10 bindings. (168cm)
Any review on these skis and how they might suit me?
If not, any suggestions for first skis.

what are they going for? volkl's are strong skis, well built, and the supersports love groomers. if you are an upper intermediate-lower expert skier you may even consider the 5stars. the trick is to get a ski that's just slightly better than where you are at because you're likely to out grow a ski at your level within a year at that level... but not get something to far advanced that it will hinder your development. the 04 is officially two years old now that the 06 models are starting to make their first appearences in limited numbers. not sure what these skis list for, but i'd say if the price is less than $200 it might be worth it.

$375, I guess it's not such a good deal...but still $200 cheaper than the 5 stars.
Do you know what the differences are in the 2004 4 stars and the 2005 5 stars. I read alot about forgiveness, I haven't skied enough to know what that is.
Also the Sidecut on the 4 stars are 112/67/97 compared to 114/68/99 do you know what the difference in that is?

oops, that would have the motion system with bidings right? i was assuming no bindings when i suggested $200, but that ski should have the motion system and be more expensive. i just checked suggested retail on those skis and it's $910 :shock: :shock: :shock: $375 doesn't sound so bad considering that suggest retail! i had expected that ski to have a lower suggested retail, i couldn't imagine these skis having such a high suggested retail. i wouldn't even put down half that much for the 6stars, let alone the 4's. if you tried the skis and really like them, go ahead and pull the trigger.

forgiveness as in if you don't have great technique, the ski doesn't make you pay for your lack of prowess. the sidecuts are fairly similar, 5stars are only slightly wider.

Back