Shopping for Alpine Touring Gear

The Ski Rack is the discussion area for snowsports gear. See what your fellow readers think about the skis that you're thinking of buying, or get some feedback on the equipment that's right for you.

Re: Shopping for Alpine Touring Gear

Postby Admin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Staley wrote:I prefer it over all others.

That makes me very happy to hear.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby kingslug » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:12 am

Still waiting for the Fritchis..supposed to ship the 29th or there abouts...then I have to find a place to mount them..one that knows how as there isn't a lot of call for these round my parts. Might have to go to Eastern Mountain Sports in the city where I got the boots..oy.
kingslug

Postby Admin » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:49 pm

REI has mounting jigs for Fritchi, at least they do here and they have a store in the city. But the web is your friend, and anyone who sells Diamirs is going to have the jigs and experience mounting them. In addition to EMS in NYC there's Paragon:

http://diamir.com/index.php?section=dat ... New%20York

Admin
Site Admin

Postby kingslug » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:36 am

Guess I'll be lugging them into the city...oy
kingslug

Postby Tony Crocker » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:40 am

I tried on 4 AT boots at Mammoth Mountaineering this week. A question for the AT folks out there: how much does it matter for skinning up the hill if the boots weigh 9 pounds vs. 7 pounds? They thought I should be looking at boots on the lighter side because they considered the Verdicts and Barons heavy by AT standards.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby riverc0il » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:51 am

Tony Crocker wrote:I tried on 4 AT boots at Mammoth Mountaineering this week. A question for the AT folks out there: how much does it matter for skinning up the hill if the boots weigh 9 pounds vs. 7 pounds? They thought I should be looking at boots on the lighter side because they considered the Verdicts and Barons heavy by AT standards.

Depends what your needs are and intended use.

I recently did a gear weight in of all my gear. I found my heaviest setup (alpine boots and bindings with fat skis) was 31 pounds (give or take) and my lightest weight setup (Radiums, Dynafits, Watea 94) was 21 pounds (give or take). Two pounds is not insignificant if that is the difference between two different AT boots. What you gain in weight savings, you may give up in performance, I suspect--without knowing the boots you tried on.

Weight can't be looked at in absolute terms either since there are essential floors and ceilings to how much a given rig could possibly weigh while staying within a given set of parameters. So two pounds may not look like much in my example, but given my parameters, 21 pounds is essentially the bottom floor of weight for potential performance sacrifice I am willing to make. So two pounds is pretty significant in my case. The difference between my AT boots and Alpine boots is about 5 pounds (345 BSL) and the difference is night and day.

Essentially, I would say when touring, every pound counts but I don't count anything less than a pound.
--Steve

TheSnowWay.com
"Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs
riverc0il

Postby Admin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:19 am

When skinning, 2 lb on your feet is like 10 lb in your pack. Think about it -- you're moving that extra 2 lb forward with every stride.

Like river, I've pretty much separated my touring rig from my resort skiing rig. Over time I found that my lightest ski setup (G3 Reverends mounted with Silvretta Pures) is too light for everyday resort skiing because they're so light they get tossed around easily by cut-up snow. Unlike River, however, I'm using one pair of boots for everything.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:27 pm

East Coasters, be aware that Whiteface is having an alpine touring/telemark demo day this Sunday including both skis and boots with $35 lift tickets.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby kingslug » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:53 am

I tried weighing my different boots and skis last night..of course the scale gave me varying weights...but it looks like I saved about 2 lbs on the boots..Garmonts vs nordica 120's...it feels like a lot more though..huge difference. The skis ...not sure , the scale was off each time but the s3's with fritchi pro's feel a lot lighter than my Sultan 85's..yet the scale shows about a 4 lb difference..feels like more though..the Sultans are tanks. I really noticed it when skating around on the flats and in the bumps. I was thinking of trying out the alpine soles on the Garmonts but don't feel like removing all the screws...so I just might have to change the bindings on the Sultans some day..maybe Barons as they will be used frontside only...and I really like the rubber soles on the Garmonts for walking around...and it looks like I'll have some powder to use them again in.
kingslug

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:55 pm

I tried on the Garmont Shogun at a shop in Hakuba. First lightweight AT boot that was fairly comfortable. Anyone know anything about it?
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby Admin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:11 am

Tony Crocker wrote:I tried on the Garmont Shogun at a shop in Hakuba. First lightweight AT boot that was fairly comfortable. Anyone know anything about it?

Not really an AT boot, more a freeride boot from an AT boot company.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tony Crocker » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:05 pm

admin wrote:Not really an AT boot, more a freeride boot from an AT boot company.

Yes, but 8.3 pounds is middle-of-the-road for weight on AT boots. Vs. 10.5 pounds for my alpine boots or 9.5 for the Salomon Quest.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby Admin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:46 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:
admin wrote:Not really an AT boot, more a freeride boot from an AT boot company.

Yes, but 8.3 pounds is middle-of-the-road for weight on AT boots. Vs. 10.5 pounds for my alpine boots or 9.5 for the Salomon Quest.

But, it's not an AT boot -- Alpine DIN sole, no unlockable cuff.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tony Crocker » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:52 pm

no unlockable cuff

??? It definitely had a walk mode switch on the back, and I tested that in the shop. Cuff was lockable/unlockable, you could stand perfectly upright when unlocked.

I prefer the alpine DIN sole for the Marker Baron bindings I already have.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:02 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:??? It definitely had a walk mode switch on the back, and I tested that in the shop. Cuff was lockable/unlockable, you could stand perfectly upright when unlocked.

Maybe they've changed it since the first gen I skied in, or maybe I've just had too many cocktails since then.

Tony Crocker wrote:I prefer the alpine DIN sole for the Marker Baron bindings I already have.

You're missing the whole point, however. You don't buy AT boots to fit bindings you already own. You buy them for ease and comfort of touring. And sometimes, perhaps even often, a tour may involve a bootpack. I'd sure as hell rather do that in grippy, rockered Vibram soles than hard, flat, smooth Alpine DIN soles. Especially when walking over rock.

This whole discussion is moot, though, as the Barons are made to accommodate AT boot soles, so I really don't know what you're talking about.

Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Snowsports Equipment