why bump skiers rule

Seek and dispense advice regarding snowsports technique at The Ski School.

why bump skiers rule

Postby joegm » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:31 pm

former cannon,nh ski instructor dan dipiro says it better than i can
interesting site/blog for anyone interested
http://www.mogulskiing.blogspot.com
he has some interesting things to say about cannon mountain and their 1) closemindedness towards terrain management and 2) the outright hostility he got from the PSIA rumpswabs in the "ski school"...
i'm really gettin antsy here so i figured i would stir up the soup :wink:
joegm

re: why bump skiers rule

Postby riverc0il » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:39 pm

i did a search for cannon on dan's blog and couldn't find the reference you are referring to. regardless, i have no idea about the inner workings of their ski school, but from the perspective of a cannon regular, i have noticed a significant improvement and overhaul of their snow sports learning center over the past few years. in regards to terrain, cannon did allow half grooms on the front face after brutally grooming most of it for a few years. blue square bumps on both gary's and rocket. not the best to learn on, but there you have it. certainly more room for improvement 8)

here's an idea, they have a race course and a park right next to each other. they could also seed some bump lines inbetween the two or on the side of the race course. they could use the starting gate for bumps as well as nastar racing by seeding a few lanes down skiers right of the race course trail. that is a nice pitch to learn on and is serviced by the triple and what not. certainly out of the way too and would go a long way in appeasing the bump lovers of cannon.

any ways, bumps are great. but they are only one tool in the all mountain skier's arsenal of technique :) good to see the bumps getting some attention with a book and a movement to educate people. i think if more people wanted to learn bumps, we'd see more lines so here's to dan's success!
--Steve

TheSnowWay.com
"Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs
riverc0il

Postby joegm » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:53 pm

go to the previous post section purple link titled " something strange going on " on his blog...... he lays it all out about the abuse he took at cannon
joegm

Postby joegm » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:59 pm

if u can ski big icy bumps, u can very likely ski big icy gates... but being able to ski big icy gates, does not mean you can necessarily ski big icy bumps... i think that's a very important point here... i think bump skiing is more than just one aspect of skiing.. it's the gold standard- and if u can do it well, you can very likely rip anything on the hill...
joegm

Postby sven » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:10 am

If it weren't for bump skiers, some ski areas would probably try to groom 100% of their terrain
sven

Postby Admin » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:53 am

JimG has a review of Dan's new book scheduled for publication here later this coming week.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby jsul185 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:22 pm

Great Site :D River Oil says, "Bumps are great but they are only a tool in the all mountain skiers arsenal of technique?"I say no way, bump skiing is the only way. East coast skiers are waiting for JimG review? Who cares about SLC JimG review. How about an east coast review outside the box,PSIA box.
jsul185

Re: re: why bump skiers rule

Postby Admin » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:25 pm

jsul185 wrote:East coast skiers are waiting for JimG review? Who cares about SLC JimG review. How about an east coast review outside the box,PSIA box.

That's what you're getting - Jim's a New Yawkah.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby jsul185 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:56 pm

Okay, My mistake, I'm asking you, why isn't the technique of bump skiing taught in the east coast?
jsul185

Postby sven » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:33 pm

I had an instructor at Killington who made my bump skiing come together pretty well years and years ago... I always noticed it was the smallest, seemingly most insignificant tips that really made some parts of my skiing click... i remember this instructor (Dan was his name) had me facing the fall line while holding my skis at the tips, and then said "you should feel this level of pressure on your shins when you are skiing this run"... i remember that making a big difference (although when i ski bumps now I dont even really think about it, i just go into a kind of trance because I'm too busy continually picking out my line a few steps ahead). It did take me about 4-5 years to fully get bump skiing down though, I went through a stage of constantly getting jammed in the troughs, causing my skis to cross and then eating it. I think there is a major mental barrier in getting it down when youre looking down some steep as hell run that has giant bumps with scraped off backsides from all the people who are reduced to survival instinct level sideslipping (so they can talk trash at the bar afterwards about how much ass they kicked on Outer Limits earlier that day). I cant criticize them without being a bit of a hypocrite though, I definitely sideslipped Outer Limits when I was like 10 years old so I could trash talk once I got back to school.... oh well

Sven
sven

Postby jsul185 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:02 pm

Sven welcome, look up Dan DeViro, there is plenty of lessons but this site is reluctant to bumpers.
jsul185

Postby jsul185 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:27 pm

Where can I get a Bump lesson ? I got quick response when i miss spoke.
jsul185

Postby riverc0il » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:20 pm

jsul185 wrote:Sven welcome, look up Dan DeViro, there is plenty of lessons but this site is reluctant to bumpers.

most active posters on this site ski bumps to the best of my knowledge.
--Steve

TheSnowWay.com
"Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs
riverc0il

Postby Ryan » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:47 am

jsul185 wrote:Okay, My mistake, I'm asking you, why isn't the technique of bump skiing taught in the east coast?

Uuuh... it is.
I'm a PSIA Certified insturctor and I would guess that about 15-20% of my lessons are specificaly bump classes.

You can walk into any Ski School I know of and request a bump lesson and although it may take a couple of minutes longer to grab you an instructor that specialize in it, there should be no problem in getting it done.
Ryan

Postby JimG. » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:34 am

jsul185 wrote:Great Site :D River Oil says, "Bumps are great but they are only a tool in the all mountain skiers arsenal of technique?"I say no way, bump skiing is the only way. East coast skiers are waiting for JimG review? Who cares about SLC JimG review. How about an east coast review outside the box,PSIA box.

Like Marc said, the review is from an east coast perspective...I only wish I lived in SLC (working on that).

The review is faithful to the book...outside the PSIA box. Regardless, most folks who get bump lessons get them inside the PSIA box. That's why Dan wrote the book, to dispel some of the fundamental myths about bump technique.

If you're already a decent bump skier, bag the lesson and buy the book.
Gravity-it's not just a good idea, it's the law!
JimG.

Next

Return to Snowsports Technique