why bump skiers rule

Seek and dispense advice regarding snowsports technique at The Ski School.

Re: re: why bump skiers rule

Postby cj » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:33 pm

joegm wrote:Jim, I saw this a while ago but wanted to get on hill and put it into action first?
I ?m not following. I was a little suspect when I read it but wasn?t sure. One of my main issues is being foreward.. let?s be honest , it?s probably 99 % of the problem for everyone. Whether up top or down below. Having my arms touching my torso makes me feel less committed to being ? foreward ??I played around with it for a few hours but just can?t buy into it. Now I could be misinterpreting the read and not doing what Allan actually says, but I?m not getting it at this time. To me , it doesn?t jive with off hand drive. I constantly am trying to drive my just un-planted hand down the line. I can?t justify this action in my head and at the same time keep my elbow in tight. Look at the link here on the W cuppers?I just don?t see a tight elbow in on the torso. http://skidebosses.com/2006/cm01ti/cm01ti.htm

In my mind, the idea of keeping them in tight, at the very least , makes you neutral in terms of committing to the line? and at the worst puts you back. I don?t know what do you think.
Do you and allen have john smart?s video?
Did youor allen have a chance to think about that 80 to 90% of the weight on the downhill ski thing? Our theory is this. After weightshift and knee roll at the crest, 90 % of the weight has to instantaneously shift to the downhill ski. That edge is rode down backside AND UP FRONTSIDE to the crest where the weight shift to the new downhill happens?my buddy and I think we have been shifting to early, early like front side . we think we do this , in a way, to speed check. The results have been knee separation after striking the front side. When we super slow mo smarts video, these guys clearly are riding their down hill ski on backside and frontside of the bumps. Not sure it you have had any bumps yet. Let me know. I?ll put his up on DD?s site too to see if it gets any hits

Hi all:

I am new to this board and I learned about it from Dan Dipiro's blog.

Joegm, I posted a message over there about a technique that I learned about (and have been trying to become more consistent on) while at camp a few years ago. It is a technique called shoulder supression and evidently it was started by the Finland mogul team. Essentially, all you do is relax and let your shoulders drop and settle into your body (but still keeping good posture), and then kind of feel the tightening of your lats against your triceps and bringing your elbows in. Once you are skiing in the bumps, it will help keep your hands from getting out to the side and keep the opposing hand driving forward (Mikko Ronkainen is a great example). Because mogul skiing is so dynamic, the arms will come away from the body some while absorbing laterally, but this technique seems to help keep the hands in check.

It's good to see that there are these kinds of discussions going on out there, as I am always anxious to learn new tips and tricks. To me, bump skiing is a constant on going process of learning and boy sometimes it is really tough to just grasp some of these things.

Is there any section of the forum that is specifically mogul skiing oriented? If not, would it be possible to set up such a thing?

cj
cj

Postby Admin » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:46 pm

cj wrote:Is there any section of the forum that is specifically mogul skiing oriented? If not, would it be possible to set up such a thing?

Possible? Sure. There's not the critical mass yet, however, to justify such fragmentation here. If we get to that point, I'm hardly adverse to the idea.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby JimG. » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:28 pm

cj wrote:Hi all:

I am new to this board and I learned about it from Dan Dipiro's blog.

Joegm, I posted a message over there about a technique that I learned about (and have been trying to become more consistent on) while at camp a few years ago. It is a technique called shoulder supression and evidently it was started by the Finland mogul team. Essentially, all you do is relax and let your shoulders drop and settle into your body (but still keeping good posture), and then kind of feel the tightening of your lats against your triceps and bringing your elbows in. Once you are skiing in the bumps, it will help keep your hands from getting out to the side and keep the opposing hand driving forward (Mikko Ronkainen is a great example). Because mogul skiing is so dynamic, the arms will come away from the body some while absorbing laterally, but this technique seems to help keep the hands in check.

It's good to see that there are these kinds of discussions going on out there, as I am always anxious to learn new tips and tricks. To me, bump skiing is a constant on going process of learning and boy sometimes it is really tough to just grasp some of these things.

Is there any section of the forum that is specifically mogul skiing oriented? If not, would it be possible to set up such a thing?

cj

Welcome cj...good description of that technique. When I watch my buddy sheahunter, the shoulder drop is very apparent and this is what he was telling me about. Between him explaining and me trying to implement it, I got too strung out on the idea of keeping the elbows in tight.

I'm going to play around with this idea again this weekend.
Gravity-it's not just a good idea, it's the law!
JimG.

Postby cj » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:19 pm

Admin wrote:
cj wrote:Is there any section of the forum that is specifically mogul skiing oriented? If not, would it be possible to set up such a thing?

Possible? Sure. There's not the critical mass yet, however, to justify such fragmentation here. If we get to that point, I'm hardly adverse to the idea.

Cool, thanks. Hopefully it will get to that point as more people become educated and interested in mogul skiing. Let's only hope!

cj
cj

re: why bump skiers rule

Postby joegm » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:43 pm

cj,
ive been tied up at work but i have been thinking about this. i've been looking at tapio and sami from the first wc event this year on skidebosses and trying to pick it up.. the quality of video is not that good so it is tough at times. this past week at K , i was thinking about it but did not try it to any great extent as i have been awful the past 2 weeks with my foot containment and have been directing every bit of brain energy i posses to being contained :roll: . no skiing for us this week but i will start on this next week on the flats at loon for sure.... i think i need more help understanding this though... where do you ski?
Double D your thoughts on this technique?
joegm

Postby HDHaller » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:29 pm

Admin wrote:JimG has a review of Dan's new book scheduled for publication here later this coming week.

Do you have the link for this review?
-HDH

Val D Isere, March 18-25
Alaska Heli Skiing, April 9-16

http://www.skiclinics.com
HDHaller

Postby Admin » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:35 pm

HDHaller wrote:Do you have the link for this review?
-HDH

Not yet, but we will later tonight. :oops:

Admin
Site Admin

Postby HDHaller » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:06 am

Admin wrote:
HDHaller wrote:Do you have the link for this review?
-HDH

Not yet, but we will later tonight. :oops:

Is it available now? Could you, or someone, share it?
-HDH

Val D Isere, March 18-25

HDHaller

Postby Admin » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:35 am

Sorry, I ran into a minor glitch: I can't find it. :oops: I've emailed Jim for a copy, but he must be on vacation.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby JimG. » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:09 am

Admin wrote:Sorry, I ran into a minor glitch: I can't find it. :oops: I've emailed Jim for a copy, but he must be on vacation.

Just got back...give me a few to e-mail it to Marc.
JimG.

Postby Admin » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:44 pm

JimG. wrote:
Admin wrote:Sorry, I ran into a minor glitch: I can't find it. :oops: I've emailed Jim for a copy, but he must be on vacation.

Finally:
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/news/s ... 97417.shtm

Admin
Site Admin

Postby HDHaller » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:18 am

Admin wrote:
JimG. wrote:

Finally:
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/news/s ... 97417.shtm

Thank you!
-HDH

Val D Isere, March 18-25

HDHaller

Postby Dan DiPiro » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:50 am

Okay, so let's bring this thread back home. Why, in a nut shell, do bump skiers rule? ...assuming, that is, that they do rule. Here's my shot at it:

1) ...because they learn to balance in the most balance-adverse conditions;
2) ...because they develop, by necessity, extraordinary quickness;
3) ...because they move dynamically through three dimensions, rather than just two. (The up-and-down, absorption-and-extension movements so crucial to good bump skiing are rarely developed by groomed-trail devotees.)

-Dan D.
"Everything the Instructors Never Told You About Mogul Skiing"
A how-to book by Dan DiPiro

http://www.LearnMoguls.com
http://www.mogulskiing.blogspot.com
Dan DiPiro

Postby JimG. » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:39 am

I give most emphasis to point number 3 for why bumpers ski better. When I'm really on and I'm feeling that 3D movement going on, I can ski anything well. And you really do feel it when it's happening.
JimG.

Postby cj » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:32 am

Ok, here is why bump skiers don't rule :wink: :

1). They ski on skis that everyone else on the mountain thinks are old because they are straight, and most have "never seen that model"

2). They ski with their feet close together and every instructor knows that is just wrong

3). They wear flashy pants just to look cool

4). They ski with the wrong length poles... why?... I don't know :wink:

5). They don't carve... isn't skiing all about carving?

But wait... didn't someone write a book about these very things :) ?

On a more serious note, bump skiers seem to work really hard at skiing, whether they are competitors or just enthusiasts. I have never met a bump skier that was overall happy with their skiing. It takes a lot of dedication and hard work to just learn how to ski bumps correctly, let alone aspire to being a ripper. You don't just become a bump skier by buying the latest gear (funny thing is that most bump skiers rarely talk about gear, because it is just a tool), you have to work hard to earn that label.

To me it is the dedication and the willingness to go against what is taught in mainstream skiing, in pursuit of a more difficult and rewarding aspect of skiing, that makes bump skiers rule. They are definately a different breed and almost looked at as an oddity, but hopefully the future will bring more skiers with the right outlook into the mainstream, which will only help advance the future of the sport.

cj
cj

PreviousNext

Return to Snowsports Technique