Return to our Home Page Latest Ski News - Resorts, Events, Equipment, World Cup and more Latest Snow Conditions from Around the World Ski Resort Feature Articles Ski and Snowboard Equipment Feature Articles Our Liftlines user forums A Ski Resort Map Covering All of North America User Downloads Search Our Site Free Ski News Subscriptions via RSS Our huge database of other ski and snowboard websites around the world Contact Us

remember this name for turin, italy- dale begg smith

Seek and dispense advice regarding snowsports technique at The Ski School.

Re: re: remember this name for turin, italy- dale begg smit

Postby HDHaller » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:24 am

cj wrote:
I am going to WP for camp in Feb and I will ask Chuck exactly what the deal is with DBS' turns... cj

CJ, while you're at it, ask Chuck Martin about the influence of Coach Steve Desovich on Begg Smith's skiing.

Martin and Desovich were on the U.S. team together in the '80s and both called Killington home. Martin was Mister-casual-and-smooth in even the nastiest bumps. Beautiful skier. Desovich was an animal and a turning machine: one of the best of all time, I think... and that was on old, straight, 200+cm, Rossignol 4S slalom skis. Chuck, too, was on the same Rossis.

-HDH

Val D Isere, March 18-25
Alaska Heli Skiing, April 9-16

http://www.skiclinics.com
HDHaller

Postby cj » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:36 am

HDHaller wrote:
cj wrote:
I am going to WP for camp in Feb and I will ask Chuck exactly what the deal is with DBS' turns... cj

CJ, while you're at it, ask Chuck Martin about the influence of Coach Steve Desovich on Begg Smith's skiing.

Martin and Desovich were on the U.S. team together in the '80s and both called Killington home. Martin was Mister-casual-and-smooth in even the nastiest bumps. Beautiful skier. Desovich was an animal and a turning machine: one of the best of all time, I think... and that was on old, straight, 200+cm, Rossignol 4S slalom skis. Chuck, too, was on the same Rossis.

-HDH

HD,

You read my mind! I am sure he has a lot to do with Dale's success. Look at the Canadians... they are kicking butt again too! I can only think it is because of Bobby Aldigheri... see a common thread there? Unfortunately, I never got to attend any of Chuck's camps that Bobby coached at, but maybe he will have him back in then future. Funny thing is that Chuck was offered the job of US head coach a couple of years ago, but he turned it down because he didn't want to travel.

I will ask him and report back.

cj
cj

Postby HDHaller » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:39 am

cj wrote:
HDHaller wrote:
cj wrote:

-HDH

HD,

You read my mind! I am sure he has a lot to do with Dale's success. Look at the Canadians... they are kicking butt again too! I can only think it is because of Bobby Aldigheri... see a common thread there? Unfortunately, I never got to attend any of Chuck's camps that Bobby coached at, but maybe he will have him back in then future. Funny thing is that Chuck was offered the job of US head coach a couple of years ago, but he turned it down because he didn't want to travel.

I will ask him and report back.

cj

CJ,

Okay, two things...

1. I don't think Aldigheiri had the talent that Des and Martin had. Bobby A. worked and scraped and clawed his way onto the team and worked and scraped and clawed to stay there and post a few good WC finishes. In comparison, Des and Martin were absolute masters. That said, Aldigheiri might be the greatest coach in the world. I don't know about his coaching.

2. We need to acknowledge the prophet who started this thread. Joe? He predicted Olympic gold for Begg-Smith weeks ago, and he was right.

-HD Haller

Val D Isere, March 18-25
Alaska Heli Skiing, April 9-16

http://www.skiclinics.com
HDHaller

Postby cj » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:31 am

CJ,

Okay, two things...

1. I don't think Aldigheiri had the talent that Des and Martin had. Bobby A. worked and scraped and clawed his way onto the team and worked and scraped and clawed to stay there and post a few good WC finishes. In comparison, Des and Martin were absolute masters. That said, Aldigheiri might be the greatest coach in the world. I don't know about his coaching.

2. We need to acknowledge the prophet who started this thread. Joe? He predicted Olympic gold for Begg-Smith weeks ago, and he was right.

-HD Haller

You bring up a good point. I have heard that Bobby has a knack for coaching, as does Chuck (don't know about Steve D., but one would assume he does also.)

Joe definately called it... DBS is the best in the world right now.

cj
cj

Previous

Return to Snowsports Technique