Return to our Home Page Latest Ski News - Resorts, Events, Equipment, World Cup and more Latest Snow Conditions from Around the World Ski Resort Feature Articles Ski and Snowboard Equipment Feature Articles Our Liftlines user forums A Ski Resort Map Covering All of North America User Downloads Search Our Site Free Ski News Subscriptions via RSS Our huge database of other ski and snowboard websites around the world Contact Us

Bad skiing habits

Seek and dispense advice regarding snowsports technique at The Ski School.

re: Bad skiing habits

Postby knotty_ski » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:48 am

Thanks Jim! That's all solid stuff that I can use and since my resort is opening tomorrow (YAH!) I'll get to try it out soon.

Just as an FYI, Ryan taught me to ski (long before we instructed) and now work together at Peek N' Peak. We met Patrick at Killington and I finally got around to posting on here.

Love the site and the forums!
knotty_ski

re: Bad skiing habits

Postby JimG. » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:42 pm

I'm fairly new here too, and I'm finding that this is a great place to get all kinds of info. I was a little reluctant to get involved with the ski teaching thing, but the responses we've gotten to the topics so far have been great and I'm having fun with it.

Welcome aboard!
Gravity-it's not just a good idea, it's the law!
JimG.

Re: re: Bad skiing habits

Postby HDHaller » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:33 am

JimG. wrote: I've done my share of damage over the years. Broke my left leg so badly I almost lost it...I have a full length tibial fracture plate in there still with 11 bolts holding it in place. My right knee has been totally rebuilt, both the ACL and PCL.

OUCH!

And you're still skiing hard today. Good for you, Jim.

-HDH

Val D Isere, March 18-25
Alaska Heli Skiing, April 9-16

http://www.skiclinics.com
HDHaller

Postby JimG. » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:31 am

HDHaller wrote:And you're still skiing hard today. Good for you, Jim.

-HDH

No quit here HD...no point to going through all that surgery and PT unless I'm gonna ski my butt off.

Seriously, my skiing passion was what carried me through many dark and depressing days of recovery. There were days I would study adaptive skiing because I thought I might lose the leg, and I spent time thinking about kayaking as a substitute in the summer. Some days I would just wonder how I managed to do that to myself and there were times I just sat and cried.

My love of skiing was always the light at the end of the tunnel. Making a full recovery and returning to the sport with a vengeance is one of the greatest personal accomplishments in my life.
JimG.

Postby cj » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:44 am

JimG. wrote:
HDHaller wrote:And you're still skiing hard today. Good for you, Jim.

-HDH

No quit here HD...no point to going through all that surgery and PT unless I'm gonna ski my butt off.

Seriously, my skiing passion was what carried me through many dark and depressing days of recovery. There were days I would study adaptive skiing because I thought I might lose the leg, and I spent time thinking about kayaking as a substitute in the summer. Some days I would just wonder how I managed to do that to myself and there were times I just sat and cried.

My love of skiing was always the light at the end of the tunnel. Making a full recovery and returning to the sport with a vengeance is one of the greatest personal accomplishments in my life.

This is the best advise for anyone recovering from a traumatic injury! I too broke my right leg badly in Oct. of 01 while MTBing (got the ol' tibial nail). There were definately times that I didn't think I would ski ever again, but my determination to ski again is what drove me to rehab like a maniac. I can still remember being in rehab and enlightening my therapist on mogul skiing in Feb of 02 right before the olympics. So my therapist, who was not a skier, watched the whole comp... and of course the first comment was about Evan Dybvig's knee.

Jim, glad to see that you were able to make a strong comeback! It's things in life like skiing that get us through tough times.

cj
cj

Postby JimG. » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:38 am

cj wrote:Jim, glad to see that you were able to make a strong comeback! It's things in life like skiing that get us through tough times.

cj

Right back at ya buddy...it seems we have alot in common.
JimG.

Postby HDHaller » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:47 am

JimG. wrote:
cj wrote:Jim, glad to see that you were able to make a strong comeback! It's things in life like skiing that get us through tough times.

cj

Right back at ya buddy...it seems we have alot in common.

When I start to get worried about little aches and pains and what they might mean for my skiing, I typically bring myself out of worry mode by thinking of Hermann Maier's story. Now I can think of you two as well, and tell myself to shut up and ski.
-HDH

Val D Isere, March 18-25
Alaska Heli Skiing, April 9-16

http://www.skiclinics.com
HDHaller

Previous

Return to Snowsports Technique