Return to our Home Page Latest Ski News - Resorts, Events, Equipment, World Cup and more Latest Snow Conditions from Around the World Ski Resort Feature Articles Ski and Snowboard Equipment Feature Articles Our Liftlines user forums A Ski Resort Map Covering All of North America User Downloads Search Our Site Free Ski News Subscriptions via RSS Our huge database of other ski and snowboard websites around the world Contact Us

Skiing/Boarding on ice...

Seek and dispense advice regarding snowsports technique at The Ski School.

Re: re: Skiing/Boarding on ice...

Postby Patrick » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:49 pm

Geoff wrote:
Patrick wrote:If we always avoided ice then skiing wouldn't be as challenging. :o Might as well ski groom blues at Deer Valley (sorry, only heard about it). :?

In my books, there isn't any bad snow conditions (unless there is a lack of coverage), just good to great snow conditions. 8)

For reference, Deer Valley has some of the better tree skiing I've ever experienced. A run or two down that perfect corduroy first thing in the morning when it's not a powder day is pretty enjoyable, too.

Deer Valley: I am clueless about this place, that why I mentioned "sorry I heard".

This said, I love conduroy (i like all conditions) - however without some challenge and pushing ourselves in the past, we wouldn't have improved as skiers/boarders. Do you remember taking a black diamond as a kid and getting way over your head (ie. trouble), if you always stay on those runs where you were comfortable, you wouldn't improve as much, if any.
Patrick

Postby Ryan » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:35 am

[quote="JimG
You need to meet me at Hunter and show me how you do this on boilerplate :shock: . I'm not saying it's not true, but I've never seen anyone at Hunter turn on ice with no skid at all. You've got real skills if you can.
[/quote]

Ok Ok. One part of this that needs to be added is pitch. Ice on normal cruisers... sure. Ice on Anna Purna. NO. You would die.

I would however love to meet you at hunter some weekend and cut some runs. It is also critically important to have well turned, very sharp edges. I use a gummy stone after I ski every day to make sure there are no burs and then I'll do a full scale milling two or three times a year.
Ryan

Postby JimG. » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:06 am

Ryan wrote:Ok Ok. One part of this that needs to be added is pitch. Ice on normal cruisers... sure. Ice on Anna Purna. NO. You would die.

I would however love to meet you at hunter some weekend and cut some runs.

Ah! Now it makes more sense. And sure, it would be great to hook up. Agree about sharp edges too.
Gravity-it's not just a good idea, it's the law!
JimG.

re: Skiing/Boarding on ice...

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:37 am

I agree with those who say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I would never shorten a ski day because of ice. Usually you just end up skiing with less people around you and there's nothing wrong with that.

I agree, skidding and feathering the edges is the way to go on ice. Reading the snow and turning where the most white is (I know, sometimes there just isn't ANY white), in other words picking a line, and skidding turns are the best tactics I've found.

Besides, my theory is that if I can learn to ski all of the snow conditions that the East Coast offers then I fully believe that I could probably ski anywhere else in the world with ease. The East Coast can be brutal.

Postby knotty_ski » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:39 am

That last post was mine. Sorry, I forgot to log in.
knotty_ski

Postby ski_adk » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:45 am

I hit a scratchy day in Sunshine Village and a scratchy morning at Lake Louise last year on vacation and I felt like a superstar. There were only a couple of racers on the hills that seemed confident on the hardpack. Everyone else was basically slide-slipping top to bottom. The tactics I've learned out here at places like Iceface and Jiminy Peak really made me into a better skier than I thought I was.

This experience has pretty much given me the opinion that any snow is good snow and the experience you gain from our "variable" conditions out here on the Ice Coast truly does bring out the hard-core in us all.
ski_adk

Postby JimG. » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:20 pm

ski_adk wrote:This experience has pretty much given me the opinion that any snow is good snow and the experience you gain from our "variable" conditions out here on the Ice Coast truly does bring out the hard-core in us all.

Words to live by 8) !
Gravity-it's not just a good idea, it's the law!
JimG.

Re: Skiing/Boarding on ice...

Postby GoofyNotFooted » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:40 pm

Being in PA I usually have really icy runs...had to learn that way. When I went out West, I was actually upset about the powder, because I was still learning and when I fell...I sunk! I actually missed the ice. I'd say a combo is best for learning.
GoofyNotFooted

Re: Skiing/Boarding on ice...

Postby Bazi » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:39 pm

I go for it. There will always be those times when your gonna run into ice but you gotta learn to deal with it. When had my first ice runs I hated it most because I feared what damage it was doing to my board but eventually I learned to adjust. In the beginning it does suck though because that fall will be a bummer but not to copy what others have said it'll only make you stronger and better.
Bazi

Previous

Return to Snowsports Technique