Return to our Home Page Latest Ski News - Resorts, Events, Equipment, World Cup and more Latest Snow Conditions from Around the World Ski Resort Feature Articles Ski and Snowboard Equipment Feature Articles Our Liftlines user forums A Ski Resort Map Covering All of North America User Downloads Search Our Site Free Ski News Subscriptions via RSS Our huge database of other ski and snowboard websites around the world Contact Us

The ankle joint

Seek and dispense advice regarding snowsports technique at The Ski School.

Re: re: The ankle joint

Postby JimG. » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:06 am

BigSpencer wrote:I hear ya' about using the AT boots in walk-mode...!
One very quickly know when you've slipped back a wee bit... Did my skiing good.
8)

Steve

Isn't it amazing? I can't think of a sport where small changes in posture and stance make for such a difference in performance. The only one I can think of that comes close would be ice hockey.
Gravity-it's not just a good idea, it's the law!
JimG.

Postby Ryan » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:26 am

JimG. wrote:
Good drill Ryan! This is a great exercise for advanced/expert skiers. Know why? Because they can listen to this, which is very complicated, and process in their mind what to do with their edges, then do it. But only because they already have the skills to do so. Try this with a class of strong intermediates and you'll get yard sales and mass confusion. But I think you agree this is not an intermediate drill.

THIS IS NOT AN INTERMEDIATE DRILL!!! You are very right. This is a drill that we do from time to time in an instructor clinic. It is a blast though and fantastic for working on balance. Now if you want to take this one to the next level, take it to steep groomed terrain and do the same progression with jump turns. Let me just say this as a waiver. I am not responsible for anyone hurting themselves when they try to go outside edge to outside in a jump turn.
Ryan

Postby JimG. » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:20 am

Ryan wrote:THIS IS NOT AN INTERMEDIATE DRILL!!! You are very right. This is a drill that we do from time to time in an instructor clinic. It is a blast though and fantastic for working on balance. Now if you want to take this one to the next level, take it to steep groomed terrain and do the same progression with jump turns. Let me just say this as a waiver. I am not responsible for anyone hurting themselves when they try to go outside edge to outside in a jump turn.

But you can severely de-tune the drill to make it intermediate friendly. It's funny because as much as this is a drill for experts, intermediates need to work on these skills even more.

Oh, and when I want to take your drill to the next level, I leave my poles at the top of the hill along with one ski!
Last edited by JimG. on Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimG.

re: The ankle joint

Postby Chromer » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:47 pm

Pansies. Take away their heelpieces and unlock their cuffs... :twisted:

(Just kidding, just kidding...)
Chromer

Postby Bernard » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:09 am

Hello everyone

First time here. Just wish to say that I moved from Langes comp 130 to Dalebello's diablos that I ski in (soft) carve mode. I immediately felt more mobile and more agile on the Dalbello's despite having a looser connection between boot and ski. What I discovered over time is that being able to flex and extend the ankle much more than in the Langes has provided me with much more natural body posture and better wellbeing.

Bernard
National ski coach
Val d'Isere France
Bernard

Postby JimG. » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:14 am

The ankle joint is so key...I seem to find myself keeping my boot cuffs looser and looser every season. As long as the lateral support is firm, you can't have enough fore and aft flex IMO.
JimG.

Previous

Return to Snowsports Technique