Are you centered?

Seek and dispense advice regarding snowsports technique at The Ski School.

Re: re: Are you centered?

Postby cj » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:59 am

It?s hard to call me a ?bump skier?. I don't ski contests--too much organization for it to be fun for me. I?m too old, too heavy, and started too late to ever be really good. But, I?m probably not chopped liver either. I prefer skiing steeps, deeps (powder), and trees when I can. For bumps I prefer spring slop and powder snow. But since I live in M.A.S.H.*, I mostly ski ice/hardpack bumps at night. I am not a zipper-line bump skier since I rarely see bumps around M.A.S.H. that can support them.

So, I am just a skier, who isn?t lost in most situations. I really have no clue as to how good I am except that I don?t slow down for much during a season.

Perhaps, we can ski a few turns.

Jeff

* M.A.S.H. = Mid-Atlantic Ski Hell.[/quote]

MASH, that's funny... I hear ya! There are good zipperline bumps at the local 3, it's just about timing. I have a small network of people that live right near the resorts and can tell me when the lines are getting good. For example, Whitetail rarely has good lines except for a few select days in the spring. Liberty usually has good lines once it bumps up. At Lib, we will ski the lines in tight, especially on upper Eastwind, and then manicure them with a shovel. When Roundtop puts in there man made bumps on lower Gun Barrel, there are now better, tighter zipperline bumps around, period! That place just absolutely rocks for bumps in the late winter and spring. On opening weekend at WT, we built a sweet line of bumps below the race shack and other people helped us ski them in and it was nice, but they groomed them the next day.

I usually ski up at Liberty Wed or Thurs night and am almost always on Eastwind with my other bumper friend who is a liftie there. On the weekends I go to where ever the good bumps are for that week. If you see 2 guys on narrow bumps skis and pants with patches on the knees, come over and say hi and we can make some turns together.

BTW, if there are no bumps, I spend my time on the flats doing nothing but drills. The flats are so boring around here that it is the only thing to do. Speaking of local steeps, do you ever ski Upper Gunbarrel at RT? My buddy who lives up there said it is really nice right now with the soft snow.

Later,

cj
cj

Postby joegm » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:20 pm

[quote="cj"] BTW, if there are no bumps, I spend my time on the flats doing nothing but drills. The flats are so boring around here that it is the only thing to do. Speaking of local steeps, do you ever ski Upper Gunbarrel at RT? My buddy who lives up there said it is really nice right now with the soft snow.

Later,

cj[/quote]

i hear that .. and amen
joegm

Postby lookn4powder » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:28 pm

cj wrote:...Speaking of local steeps, do you ever ski Upper Gunbarrel at RT? My buddy who lives up there said it is really nice right now with the soft snow.

Later,

cj

I haven't skied Roundtop in a decade. As I remember, Gunbarrel is short but decent. Most of my local skiing involves nights at Liberty and Whitetail--usually bumps. I spend an occasional weekend in the trees at Timberline, powerline skiing off Canaan, and cruising with my wife at Seven Springs. My wife and I ski a lot in the west each year.

Cheers,
Jeff
When encountering a skier, turn. Same goes for a tree.
-2nd Law of Skiing
lookn4powder

Location: Rockville, MD; Avatar: Late Spring descent inside the cirque on Mt. Bachelor.

Postby cj » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:51 pm

I haven't skied Roundtop in a decade. As I remember, Gunbarrel is short but decent. Most of my local skiing involves nights at Liberty and Whitetail--usually bumps. I spend an occasional weekend in the trees at Timberline, powerline skiing off Canaan, and cruising with my wife at Seven Springs. My wife and I ski a lot in the west each year.

Cheers,
Jeff[/quote]

Cool. I try to get out west a couple of times a year as well. I have a friend that lives in MD that skies out west about 50 days a year... he doesn't even ski local anymore.

BTW, I think you may be thinking of Ramrod... as it's steep section is not nearly as steep and shorter than GB. It usually gets bumps on it. Upper GB is ungroomable and too steep for bump lines. It can be bombed since it has a wide, clear runout, but hop turns is what it is really all about. It is steep enough that sometimes the entire headwall slides when the snow gets soft. Imagine that... an avalanche in PA! If you get a chance, check it out in the spring... you won't be disappointed. It is the steepest thing in our area by far.

Later and have fun,

cj
cj

Previous

Return to Snowsports Technique