Whiteface 3/18 Snoedown

Sharon

A winter music festival in Lake Placid. What a concept!!

It was way better than I had imagined it would be. I am not a big MOE fan, however, I do like a good music festival...add skiing and other winter activities in beautiful Lake Placid and you got a winner winter music event.

Friday night's show was OK. All of MOE's tunes sounded pretty much the same and there was not much distinction between songs. Each set was like one long song with various nuances and a lot of skillful guitar jams.

Our group got a late start on saturday, but we still got in some good skiing. Whiteface was in better shape than I had anticipated. I expected ice and frozen rockular with a lot of stoned hippy snowboarders, and there was some of that, but there was also some snowy surfaces that were pleasant to ski, especially on the lower mountain. I did 2 runs on the Summit, one on each, Paron's Follies. Both pretty much the same. There were some scarey icy spots, but I enjoyed scaring myself while skittering on the edge of control. Not super crowded on the slopes. No lift lines. I skied until 3pm until the music was about to start.

The people in my group spanned a range of abilities. The greenest novices found Whiteface's green circle trails much more challenging than anything they had been on before. The intermediate skiers thought the green trails were challenging enough. The more experienced skiers enjoyed the blue square trials, Excelsior, Paron's and Follies, but these trails were much more challenging than the blue trails they were used to at our small home mountain (Greek Peak).

MOE played outside in front of the Cloudspin lounge on the snow. This set was more interesting and fun. It was cool to see music outside while dancing in the snow with a bunch of friends. It could have been a little longer, or maybe another band could have played outside. Inside the bar was packed as Tea Leaf Green hit the stage. Took over 30 min to get a beer. The bar didn't handle the crowd as well as the mountain did.

Sat night we ice skated in the 1932 rink to Assembly of Dust. That was pretty fun. Then we enjoyed an acoustic band in another room that was full of vendors of hippy clothes and other items. Free Rockstar helped keep the energy flowing. Yeungling gave us some tshirts. We are now representing the Yeungling ski team. It was much easier to get a beer at the show than at the Cloudspin lodge.

The Everyone Orchestra (with Steve Kimmock and Jon Fishman of Phish) was interesting and groovey.

Moe's final set of the weekend was rockin. They actually played individual songs that were distinguishable, including a couple of covers. We were all pretty exhausted and didn't have much desire to head back to the mountain for more skiing on ice, so we decided to take the dogs xc skiing on the Lake Placid golf course. Thin in places, but skiable nonetheless.

Back