Edelweiss, QC - March 22-23, 2006 - Night Skiing

Patrick

Spensar":367nlu3z said:
Patrick, in the Killington thread you said you skied last night. Was that local? If so, how was it.
I was out Wed. of March break and Strief was knee destroying washboard concrete with virtually no snow on it. The blues had a bit a snow that let the kids have some fun. Has it softened up at all? Even have a granular layer over the rough ice?

So the question was asked in the Laurentians thread:

Patrick":367nlu3z said:
I had a race last night on Zoomer, but Strief was beautiful. Conditions were fast but not so hard, however one of the reasons was the hill was virtually empty last night and Strief is often over look.

The bottom of it still had corduroy at 9pm when we started skiing it after our race. I'm maybe going back tonight for a couple hours (I have a night pass which I rarely use and this is one of last nights).

For those who are wondering where are we talking about? EDELWEISS outside Ottawa (200 meters vert only 35km away from downtown).

HOWEVER the conditions are changing fast (this would apply to the whole Laurentians). I skied Wednesday evening at Edelweiss and went back last night. While the conditions were fast and firm (not hard) on Wednesday evening, last night was a different story. The weather is changing and temps last evening were above freezing (+1c) after a day at around +5c. Snow conditions was corn and soft, the only firm spots were a few patches of ice (steep Strief pitch). Other things that I didn't notice on Wednesday was a few tiny bare spots that had popped out, not much but the snow depth in certain places isn't very far. Yes, the Strief pitch was still hard and icy compared to the overall conditions of the mountain.

Conditions and coverage is going to change quickly as the forecast for the weekend calls for temps at around 10c. Local skiing in Ottawa probably only has 2-3 weekends left.

I'll definately try to get out Sunday. I hope there is some corn, that would be fun.

Of course, if they close soon, means my season pass is honoured any MSSI hill that is open, including Jay.

Spensar":3i3s843r said:
I'll definately try to get out Sunday. I hope there is some corn, that would be fun.

At Ste.Marie tomorrow for the Ottawa Masters final and maybe Vorlage on Sunday.

Spensar":3i3s843r said:
Of course, if they close soon, means my season pass is honoured any MSSI hill that is open, including Jay.

I had a full pass last year (which was only $199CDN full-time, way cheaper than the other locals). I think MSSI was trying to attract new people to the hill plus they had a new quad (actual an old quad from Nevada which still had the elevation 8900' on the top tower. They removed that number this year. :lol: ).

Anyhow, I wasn't very satisfied with my daughter's ski lessons last year plus the skier density and changes made it more difficult and stressfull with my youngest skiing real first season on skis. So I opted for Vorlage this year which is more family oriented + ski school is great.

Back